Low LSAT/Low GPA.... do I have any chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anniePR

Low LSAT/Low GPA.... do I have any chances?

Postby anniePR » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:26 am

I really want to go to law school, but I'm not sure if I have chances of getting in somewhere. I scored 143 on the LSAT and my GPA is 2.5, I know my numbers are horrible but I am and ethnic minority ( puerto rican) who had to overcome many obstacles during college specially the language barrier. I would like to stay in the east coast, any chances for me??

liberty

Re: Low LSAT/Low GPA.... do I have any chances?

Postby liberty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:49 am

You have a pretty good change of landing a job at the local Japanese sushi restaurant, and that's only if you raise your GPA to 2.6....

But, anyway, to be honest you have absolutely no chance at any law school. If you are blaming a language barrier/ "life obstacles" for doing so incredibly poorly in college (even by Puerto Rican standards) what makes you think you'll do any better in law school? Good job fucking up so badly moron....and I call b.s on your little "Oh I'm a poor Puerto Rican" story too.... You probably were partying and procrastinating, aint that the truth? Enjoy minimum wage for the rest of your life.

maks25

Postby maks25 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:52 am

Don't you love trolls..

If you are serious though then retake the LSAT, but study for a good 4 months before you take it.
Last edited by maks25 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 am

OP if you really want to go to law school you need to re-take the LSAT, bottom line. Find a course, get the books, take several months, and see what you can do. If the language barrier is still a problem you need to address that long before you even consider law school.

Come back once you've done these things, and hopefully your LSAT score will be higher. If you can get a good LSAT, your URM status might be able to somewhat compensate for your lackluster GPA.

End thread.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 am

liberty wrote:You have a pretty good change of landing a job at the local Japanese sushi restaurant, and that's only if you raise your GPA to 2.6....

But, anyway, to be honest you have absolutely no chance at any law school. If you are blaming a language barrier/ "life obstacles" for doing so incredibly poorly in college (even by Puerto Rican standards) what makes you think you'll do any better in law school? Good job fucking up so badly moron....and I call b.s on your little "Oh I'm a poor Puerto Rican" story too.... You probably were partying and procrastinating, aint that the truth? Enjoy minimum wage for the rest of your life.

This ^^^ makes me sick to my stomach and you should ignore it. At this point, I would say spend the summer taking some classes at a CC or at your UG to boost your GPA (I'd reccommend some ESL classes if you are having language difficulties) and also study for the LSAT. Retake in September, get some steller LOR's, and write a good personal statement. Basically I'd spend the next several months addressing the weaknesses you have and apply next cycle. Don't let anyone tell you that your goals are impossible. If you want it, work hard, stay focused, and make it happen.

Best of luck!

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:57 am

liberty wrote:You have a pretty good change of landing a job at the local Japanese sushi restaurant, and that's only if you raise your GPA to 2.6....

Excuse the above poster for his or her doucheness but I don't think there is a point in applying to law school, if your lsat is in the `140's and your gpa is that low the only school that might accept would be really crappy schools with no accredation or Cooley. Your URM status will help but you still need to score above a 155 to go to a decent T1/2 or T3. If you break 150 perhaps apply to NYLS and some others depending on where you live, they may take a chance on you.

How much did you study?

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:00 am

completely uncalled for. you should be ashamed to have written that.

Shot007

Postby Shot007 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:02 am

phoenix323 wrote:

This ^^^ makes me sick to my stomach and you should ignore it. At this point, I would say spend the summer taking some classes at a CC or at your UG to boost your GPA (I'd reccommend some ESL classes if you are having language difficulties) and also study for the LSAT. Retake in September, get some steller LOR's, and write a good personal statement. Basically I'd spend the next several months addressing the weaknesses you have and apply next cycle. Don't let anyone tell you that your goals are impossible. If you want it, work hard, stay focused, and make it happen.

Best of luck!

+1
Who cares if it could be a troll, it could also be someone with an actual concern who wants some opinions from TLS, anyway, to the OP, work hard and try to improve your score on the LSAT, hopefull u can have a significant enough improvement to get in...unless u want to apply to some T4 schools but that may not even be possible unless you get into the 150s

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:06 am

I ran your numbers through lawschoolpredictor.com as a URM and it looks like you have a legitimately strong shot at Pontifical Catholic in Ponce, Puerto Rico. It actually is ABA accredited and you would be able to take the bar in another place after that. It looks like Southern Law Center in Baton Rouge, LA would at least consider you. Those are your 2 best bets if you want ABA approved. After those, you have Texas Southern, Florida A&M, and Cooley. But your shot at those gets much weaker than the first two I mentioned.

I don't think you have to succumb to minimum wage for the rest of your life like the first reply to you. But in any case, getting into law school with numbers that low will be challenging to say the least.

Although I am sympathetic to language barriers and problems, you will have to read ungodly amounts of material in law school. And it's not all easy reading either... it's terse stuff. You will want to make sure that you are able to handle that. And if you don't think you can pull that off, it will be painful.

If you want better options, really think about re-taking the LSAT and getting at least 5 points higher. Being a URM helps, but it doesn't help THAT much. You're asking a lot. I think you could do it, but I would try to get into a different mindset. And I would also ask myself if I'm sure I want to do law, if I were in your shoes. If so, then go for it.

Good luck figuring things out,

-You Gotta Have Faith

icydash

Postby icydash » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:14 am

Most of what needs to be said has been said in various ways already. I’m just going to throw in my two cents here, trying not to be harsh.

The practice of law is extremely serious, important, and highly analytical work. A lot of the time, if not all the time, people’s lives and livelihoods are in your hands. It is not a joke. If you scored that low on the LSAT and did so poorly in college, you have to ask yourself a few questions:

Without the high analytical ability/academic record, would you be able to serve your clients, feeling like you were giving them defense they need/deserve?

Knowing the tremendous academic records of other attorneys, would you be competent as an attorney / be able to “stack up” in court/when you’re needed?

Why do you think you did poorly during undergrad? Was it just a language thing, or is it something that will “haunt you in your professional life”?

What exactly do you think the study of law entails? (the reason for this is that most people, before going to law school, are completely misguided/have misconceptions about what actual attorneys do…. No, it’s not like Law & Order)

If your GPA/LSAT was simply a result of a language barrier, then by all means, study hard and retake the LSAT. Keep in mind you can really only take it twice before it looks really bad, so don’t take it again until you’re ready (scoring above 155).

However, I truly believe that certain people (really anyone below 155) are not cut out to practice law. Due to the important nature of the work, simply “wanting it” may not cut it.

anniePR

Postby anniePR » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:53 am

Thanks to those of you who took the time to actually write something constructive. For you, the one who talked about working on the local japanese restaurant, for your information I graduated from American University and I am currently employed by the federal government making 50k a year with only a BA, while you are probably working at the local subway you redneck. 10 years from know I will be making good money in a prestigious law firm while you will be driving your mobile home around the country. Anyways I don't have to argue with people who clearly have low self esteem and try to make others feel bad to boost their ego. I feel so sorry for you!

PS. There is nothing wrong with minimum wage jobs at least those are decent and honest people who are doing something with their lives unlike people like you who will never be successful you're pitiful!

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:04 am

stick with the government job for a while, make some money, and distance yourself from your undergraduate gpa. then, if you are still interested in law school, study very hard for the lsat and retake it

EzraStiles

Postby EzraStiles » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:05 am

OP, this is the worst kind of advice you will get, not only on TLS but in life. The kid's a racist high schooler--disregard what he's said.

To go to any respectable law school, I can only recommend that you study for the LSAT and take it again. Law School requires a similar comprehension of the English Language as the LSAT, so if you can get over the language barrier to do better on the LSAT than you will both give yourself a better chance at getting into a respectable law school and succeeding once there. Good luck, and ignore the ignorant who somehow gain satisfaction from belittling others.

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:08 am

anniePR wrote:Thanks to those of you who took the time to actually write something constructive. For you, the one who talked about working on the local japanese restaurant, for your information I graduated from American University and I am currently employed by the federal government making 50k a year with only a BA, while you are probably working at the local subway you redneck. 10 years from know I will be making good money in a prestigious law firm while you will be driving your mobile home around the country. Anyways I don't have to argue with people who clearly have low self esteem and try to make others feel bad to boost their ego. I feel so sorry for you!

PS. There is nothing wrong with minimum wage jobs at least those are decent and honest people who are doing something with their lives unlike people like you who will never be successful you're pitiful!

You really didn't have to sink to his level with your response. Not helping your case at all. In the slightest.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:13 am

Lame.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:18 am

Cale39 wrote:
anniePR wrote:Thanks to those of you who took the time to actually write something constructive. For you, the one who talked about working on the local japanese restaurant, for your information I graduated from American University and I am currently employed by the federal government making 50k a year with only a BA, while you are probably working at the local subway you redneck. 10 years from know I will be making good money in a prestigious law firm while you will be driving your mobile home around the country. Anyways I don't have to argue with people who clearly have low self esteem and try to make others feel bad to boost their ego. I feel so sorry for you!

You really didn't have to sink to his level with your response. Not helping your case at all. In the slightest.

Agree!!! Redneck working in a subway???... I need to see that to believe it

thegrandinquisitor

Postby thegrandinquisitor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 am

Last edited by thegrandinquisitor on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:25 am

You, again. I thought you were going to Somalia.

liberty

Postby liberty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:54 am

No wonder the country is a bloody disaster... People with sub 3.0's in Federal government how disheartening.

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:54 am

I have been in a similar situation. GPA 3.08/URM
I think you can get a much better score on your LSAT, but you will have to put in some hard work and study for 6 months. I was in the upper 140s (with no prep) and took a prep class and improved 12 points. Totally a worthwhile investment.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:02 pm

ad hominem FTW :D

icydash

Postby icydash » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm

My friend always adds an "s" to the word "anyway", and I've always wondered if it's grammatically correct. All i know is it drives me insane every time she does it----is it correct? haha sorry for the sidetrack.

chooch

Postby chooch » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:08 pm

EzraStiles wrote:OP, this is the worst kind of advice you will get, not only on TLS but in life. The kid's a racist [strike]high schooler[/strike] four-year old--disregard what he's said.

To go to any respectable law school, I can only recommend that you study for the LSAT and take it again. Law School requires a similar comprehension of the English Language as the LSAT, so if you can get over the language barrier to do better on the LSAT than you will both give yourself a better chance at getting into a respectable law school and succeeding once there. Good luck, and ignore the ignorant who somehow gain satisfaction from belittling others.

OP, don't let people like that guy demean/dishearten you; but if you are committed going to law, use the resources on TLS and keep practicing before taking the LSAT again. Yeah, you might be able to get into a school now, but you can always get into a significantly better one with even a score of 150.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:12 pm

this clown called liberty has been pathetically stalking the forum, i think he is just a high schooler who thinks he is smart because he read great expectations and finally understood it after reading it five times, ignore this douche

liberty

Postby liberty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:56 pm

$1.99 wrote:this clown called liberty has been pathetically stalking the forum, i think he is just a high schooler who thinks he is smart because he read great expectations and finally understood it after reading it five times, ignore this douche

Class one player hater alert.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”