Is this school respectable?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:52 pm

HBS is the harvard of harvards.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Helicio wrote:
Borhas wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:According to Law School Confidential...

Harvard of the South: Duke
Harvard of the Heartland: Chicago
Harvard of the West: Stanford

Duke is USC of the South
Chicago is the MIT of the heartland
UVa is Michigan of the East
Stanford is the Yale of the West
Harvard is the University of Montana of Boston
Columbia is the Harvard of New York

Duke is the Duke of the South.
Chicago is the Chicago of the heartland.
UVA is the UVA of the East.
Stanford is the Stanford of the West.
Harvard is the Harvard.
Columbia is the Columbia of New York.

you are the U of Pittsburgh of TLS

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Borhas wrote:
Helicio wrote:
Borhas wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:According to Law School Confidential...

Harvard of the South: Duke
Harvard of the Heartland: Chicago
Harvard of the West: Stanford

Duke is USC of the South
Chicago is the MIT of the heartland
UVa is Michigan of the East
Stanford is the Yale of the West
Harvard is the University of Montana of Boston
Columbia is the Harvard of New York

Duke is the Duke of the South.
Chicago is the Chicago of the heartland.
UVA is the UVA of the East.
Stanford is the Stanford of the West.
Harvard is the Harvard.
Columbia is the Columbia of New York.

you are the U of Pittsburgh of TLS

You are the Harvard of TLS.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Helicio wrote:

borhas, really?

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:33 pm

sprezzatura wrote:The University of Montana calls itself the "Harvard of the West," and I'm in no position to judge. What do other people (and more importantly, T14 adcomms) think of it?
EDIT: I mean the undergrad, not law school.

Whenever something calls itself the x of y, that thing is usually suspect.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Helicio wrote:

borhas, really?

the harvard of the west of tls

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:39 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Helicio wrote:

borhas, really?

I know right, I was thinking something a bit less TTT

like maybe the Platonic Academy, or the House of Wisdom, or at least ITT Tech

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Lets not be hating on ITT Tech. Those hard working Mexicans and 16-and-pregnant-esque whites who attend there are few of the only people right now learning actual trades-- which our service-industry-economy desperately needs.

At least they aren't one of the majority attending useless undergrads, obtaining useless degrees, so that they can hide in useless grad school programs, and thereby add to the student loan bubble-- which I and all other actual earners am going to have to pay back.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:25 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Lets not be hating on ITT Tech. Those hard working Mexicans and 16-and-pregnant-esque whites who attend there are few of the only people right now learning actual trades-- which our service-industry-economy desperately needs.

At least they aren't one of the majority attending useless undergrads, obtaining useless degrees, so that they can hide in useless grad school programs, and thereby add to the student loan bubble-- which I and all other actual earners am going to have to pay back.

"Everyone's a little bit racist, some times."

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:41 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:At least they aren't one of the majority attending useless undergrads, obtaining useless degrees, so that they can hide in useless grad school programs, and thereby add to the student loan bubble-- which I and all other actual earners am going to have to pay back.

TaipeiMort wrote:I'm seriously considering doing a JD/MA of International Relations at Chicago. However, I plan to just wait until my second year to apply. It only takes an extra quarter to complete.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:42 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Lets not be hating on ITT Tech. Those hard working Mexicans and 16-and-pregnant-esque whites who attend there are few of the only people right now learning actual trades-- which our service-industry-economy desperately needs.

TaipeiMort wrote:Thanks a lot for answering our questions. I have two more:

1) Are there particular anti social behaviors in interviews which commonly eliminate qualified people?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Just pretend that I photoshopped fatduck's and TPM's names in there, I'm far too lazy to actually do that kind of thing

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Not that anyone seems to care, but this is where the "Harvard of the West/East/North/any direction you can think of" originated from.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?she ... ory.speech

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:26 pm

JFK is overraTTTed, no wonder this douchery stems from him

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Harvard is the Oxford of the United States

Oxford is the Sorbonne of England

The Sorbonne is the Todai of France

and Monroe College is the Harvard of for-profit diploma mills.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:56 pm

fatduck wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

TaipeiMort wrote:Thanks a lot for answering our questions. I have two more:

1) Are there particular anti social behaviors in interviews which commonly eliminate qualified people?

Lol +1.

What a douchenozzle.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 pm

stratocophic wrote:Image

Just pretend that I photoshopped fatduck's and TPM's names in there, I'm far too lazy to actually do that kind of thing

I believe fatduck and I tag teamed that one

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:32 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

fine but i'm still not shooping it. fatduck can be ironman and spiderman since he posted twice, you'll be wolverine since you tar's hair looks his mask

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:35 pm

stratocophic wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

fine but i'm still not shooping it. fatduck can be ironman and spiderman since he posted twice, you'll be wolverine since you tar's hair looks his mask

fair enough :lol: :lol:

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:01 pm

You can all ooze your PC garbage. I'll take my accurate observations.

Have you watched ITT Tech's commercials? They play all day during daytime TV in California and usually late at night on MTV or after Carson Daily. I'm pretty sure their target demographic is 20-something newly-immigrated Mexican males and young single moms without familial support looking to provide for their families.

At least they are trying to do something with their lives and gain a technical degree which will allow them provide for their families with minimal personal debt.

I'm pretty sure I'd take being a licensed electrician or network administration making 30-50k per year, knowing that I had actually worked to bootstrap myself from the lower class to the middle class over being a newly minted liberal arts degree holder living in my parents' house working call center jobs.

You guys are INSANE to think that referencing positive, true, stereotypes is in anyway racist. Would I also be racist if I said that Macy's likes to hire 20-something white females to sell designer purses, that top law firms seek after qualified African Americans because of the relatively low number in Biglaw, or that newly immigrated Asians tend to be successful at running small businesses because they have a strong social support network and children/nephews/nieces to employ.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:04 pm

where exactly would you say you fall on the spectrum?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:20 pm

fatduck wrote:where exactly would you say you fall on the spectrum?

Moderate Clinton Democrat/ Independent. Don't agree with all of the party's fiscal policies but wont vote for the GOP in its current form.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:01 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:You can all ooze your PC garbage. I'll take my accurate observations.

Have you watched ITT Tech's commercials? They play all day during daytime TV in California and usually late at night on MTV or after Carson Daily. I'm pretty sure their target demographic is 20-something newly-immigrated Mexican males and young single moms without familial support looking to provide for their families.

At least they are trying to do something with their lives and gain a technical degree which will allow them provide for their families with minimal personal debt.

I'm pretty sure I'd take being a licensed electrician or network administration making 30-50k per year, knowing that I had actually worked to bootstrap myself from the lower class to the middle class over being a newly minted liberal arts degree holder living in my parents' house working call center jobs.

You guys are INSANE to think that referencing positive, true, stereotypes is in anyway racist. Would I also be racist if I said that Macy's likes to hire 20-something white females to sell designer purses, that top law firms seek after qualified African Americans because of the relatively low number in Biglaw, or that newly immigrated Asians tend to be successful at running small businesses because they have a strong social support network and children/nephews/nieces to employ.

FWIW what you said wasn't racist on its face

these for profit schools often times do prey on the marginalized members of society... those that don't have the sophistication to know that we live in a society where schools exist just to suck money from the Fed. Often times those are desperate people like young female immigrants. Beauty schools exploited those people as well. I actually think ITT tech is one of those scam schools. Criminal Justice degree from ITT Tech? Credits that can't be transferred? It's a scam, like all for-profit schools. Though it's probably less of a scam than a lot of law schools.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Borhas wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:You can all ooze your PC garbage. I'll take my accurate observations.

FWIW what you said wasn't racist on its face

these for profit schools often times do prey on the marginalized members of society... those that don't have the sophistication to know that we live in a society where schools exist just to suck money from the Fed. Often times those are desperate people like young female immigrants. Beauty schools exploited those people as well. I actually think ITT tech is one of those scam schools. Criminal Justice degree from ITT Tech? Credits that can't be transferred? It's a scam, like all for-profit schools. Though it's probably less of a scam than a lot of law schools.

Yeah. I tend to think that some of its programs might be. However, it seems like (this is just a groundless assertion) that the need for qualified people in blue collar technical fields is still greater than the need for law firms to hire new associates. Also, because a lot of people graduating from these schools are willing to take jobs at lower wages and perform excellent work, the market seems more open to them.

However, they might just be scammers as well.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Commonwealthman wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:If you have to ask, no. If they call themselves 'the Harvard of ______' or 'the _______ Ivy', run, don't walk.

Boston College is traditionally called the "Jesuit Ivy" ... Morehouse is the "black Harvard" or "Harvard of the South." Those are both very well regarded schools...

Georgetown is the best Jesuit university. HTH

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”