Is this school respectable?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:some of my favorite internet posts are "I'd rather attend x (unknown school) than Harvard because all those pretentious assholes at Harvard"

Don't be so transparent, people.


I wouldn't not attend harvard for that reason, but saying "I go to a school near Boston" is retarded and pretentious. Also the only people who drop that line are idiots who don't seem to have anything going for them.


Ask them how they like Tufts.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:16 am

rad law wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:some of my favorite internet posts are "I'd rather attend x (unknown school) than Harvard because all those pretentious assholes at Harvard"

Don't be so transparent, people.


I wouldn't not attend harvard for that reason, but saying "I go to a school near Boston" is retarded and pretentious. Also the only people who drop that line are idiots who don't seem to have anything going for them.


Ask them how they like Tufts.

I feel like this conversation was had on another thread

thedive
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby thedive » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:33 am



Uh, I don't see how the rankings really matter when talking about Montana. When looking at the amount of debt one will burden (in-state) and how the school places in the home market, Montana seems like a better investment than many lower T1 and T2 schools that charge ridiculously over priced tuition in over saturated markets that are sought by many T14 grads. Sure you don't have a solid chance at big law, but then again you won't need it as badly as the students that didn't place high in their class or less than median and paid close to sticker for most schools in the general region of 25-100.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:01 am

sprezzatura wrote:The University of Montana calls itself the "Harvard of the West," and I'm in no position to judge. What do other people (and more importantly, T14 adcomms) think of it?
EDIT: I mean the undergrad, not law school.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The University of Montana isn't even the Harvard of Missoula. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:03 am

liberty wrote:Law schools apparently don't give a hoot where you go for UG provided you get an extremely high GPA/respectable LSAT score.


But to be honest I don't understand how anyone in their sane mind would want to go to Uni in Montana. Harvard of the west my ass. You'd be among the inbred children of cattle ranchers....



I know, right? I don't even think Montana would rank academically in the top-50 colleges and universities in the west.

Stanford is the "Harvard of the west". Compared to that, the University of Montana is a below-average community college with only 100-level courses.
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:15 am

According to Law School Confidential...

Harvard of the South: Duke
Harvard of the Heartland: Chicago
Harvard of the West: Stanford

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:19 am

Commonwealthman wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:If you have to ask, no. If they call themselves 'the Harvard of ______' or 'the _______ Ivy', run, don't walk.


Boston College is traditionally called the "Jesuit Ivy" ... Morehouse is the "black Harvard" or "Harvard of the South." Those are both very well regarded schools...



Actually, Howard (not Morehouse) is the black Harvard, and it receives that distinction because of the type of talent it attracts (student, faculty, staff, and administration). The law school did produce a Supreme Court Justice. How many colleges/universities outside of the Harvards, Yales and Stanfords have done that? That is a fair call. And Spelman is arguably the black Wellesley. Try sitting in their classes or meeting black students from these schools and you will see that they tend to be extremely bright, mature, focussed, and dedicated.

You are right, white people and non-blacks tend to sleep on the black colleges and universities, but if you meet the white students who have attended them, they will tell you that they were challenged academically much more than they expected.

I have no problem with southern ivies and public ivies either. After all, can we really say that harvard is better than Duke or Vanderbilt? And schools like UC-Berkeley and UVA deserve such recognition.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:55 am

thedive wrote:


Uh, I don't see how the rankings really matter when talking about Montana. When looking at the amount of debt one will burden (in-state) and how the school places in the home market, Montana seems like a better investment than many lower T1 and T2 schools that charge ridiculously over priced tuition in over saturated markets that are sought by many T14 grads. Sure you don't have a solid chance at big law, but then again you won't need it as badly as the students that didn't place high in their class or less than median and paid close to sticker for most schools in the general region of 25-100.


Talking about undergrad homey.

Edit: And rankings always matter on this website.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:07 am

dabbadon8 wrote:According to Law School Confidential...

Harvard of the South: Duke
Harvard of the Heartland: Chicago
Harvard of the West: Stanford


oddly enough, the Harvard of the Northeast is actually Yale

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:37 am

dabbadon8 wrote:According to Law School Confidential...

Harvard of the South: Duke
Harvard of the Heartland: Chicago
Harvard of the West: Stanford

Pretty sure the Yale of the West is in Colorado.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby KevinP » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:08 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:According to Law School Confidential...

Harvard of the South: Duke
Harvard of the Heartland: Chicago
Harvard of the West: Stanford


oddly enough, the Harvard of the Northeast is actually Yale


In terms of law school, Harvard is the Yale of the Northeast.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:18 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:According to Law School Confidential...

Harvard of the South: Duke
Harvard of the Heartland: Chicago
Harvard of the West: Stanford



Hah. This is a very Harvard- centric way of looking at the world.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:51 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:According to Law School Confidential...

Harvard of the South: Duke
Harvard of the Heartland: Chicago
Harvard of the West: Stanford



Hah. This is a very Harvard- centric way of looking at the world.

Isn't that the only way?

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby ahduth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:31 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:According to Law School Confidential...

Harvard of the South: Duke
Harvard of the Heartland: Chicago
Harvard of the West: Stanford



Hah. This is a very Harvard- centric way of looking at the world.

Isn't that the only way?


Naw, I've always thought of Harvard as the Stanford of the East.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Kohinoor wrote:If you have to ask, no. If they call themselves 'the Harvard of ______' or 'the _______ Ivy', run, don't walk.


I hate when schools do this.

My state undergrad has been calling itself a "public ivy" just because its admission standards are almost identical to Cornell's. Please...

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby ahduth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:10 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:If you have to ask, no. If they call themselves 'the Harvard of ______' or 'the _______ Ivy', run, don't walk.


I hate when schools do this.

My state undergrad has been calling itself a "public ivy" just because its admission standards are almost identical to Cornell's. Please...


My alma mater really feels the need to point out it's not a public school. And I feel like there's this consensus that no one cares. But that's maybe just cold, hard NYC bearing down on me?

It could just be me who doesn't care.

On a side note, Harvard of the Heartland? Really? I thought Heartland was some sort of ass hat marketing term. By and large I think we'd rather you just not call our region anything at all, but if you must... call it the Midwest?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:02 am

ahduth wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:If you have to ask, no. If they call themselves 'the Harvard of ______' or 'the _______ Ivy', run, don't walk.


I hate when schools do this.

My state undergrad has been calling itself a "public ivy" just because its admission standards are almost identical to Cornell's. Please...


My alma mater really feels the need to point out it's not a public school. And I feel like there's this consensus that no one cares. But that's maybe just cold, hard NYC bearing down on me?

It could just be me who doesn't care.

On a side note, Harvard of the Heartland? Really? I thought Heartland was some sort of ass hat marketing term. By and large I think we'd rather you just not call our region anything at all, but if you must... call it the Midwest?

Agreed

User avatar
iamnooneelse
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby iamnooneelse » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:54 pm

This thread is so Americentric. Everyone else in the world knows Harvard is the Cambridge of the U.S. Suddenly being "the Harvard" of anything has slightly less appeal!

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:31 pm

iamnooneelse wrote:This thread is so Americentric. Everyone else in the world knows Harvard is the Cambridge of the U.S. Suddenly being "the Harvard" of anything has slightly less appeal!

Ya but Cambridge is the Princeton of Europe, so in a round a bout way it's still americentric.

User avatar
iamnooneelse
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby iamnooneelse » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:12 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
iamnooneelse wrote:This thread is so Americentric. Everyone else in the world knows Harvard is the Cambridge of the U.S. Suddenly being "the Harvard" of anything has slightly less appeal!

Ya but Cambridge is the Princeton of Europe, so in a round a bout way it's still americentric.


Well if Cambridge is the Princeton of Europe then Harvard is just in a roundabout way the Princeton of Massachusetts. In which case the University of Montana is the "Princeton of Massachusetts of the West." Doesn't have such a nice ring to it anymore.

User avatar
ak13
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:29 am

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby ak13 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:13 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Hoosier wrote:Image



At first I thought that was a bear next to the man golfing, wouldn't surprise me since it is Montana and all...


I would go just to have a bear as a caddy. "Bear, hand me my 9 iron!"

User avatar
iamnooneelse
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby iamnooneelse » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:25 pm

ak13 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
Hoosier wrote:Image



At first I thought that was a bear next to the man golfing, wouldn't surprise me since it is Montana and all...


I would go just to have a bear as a caddy. "Bear, hand me my 9 iron!"


I'd go just for the challenging golf. "Play it as it lies" is a bit more sinister phrase when Momma Bear is breathing down your back because you just nailed Winnie the Poo with blunt force to the head from a shanked drive.

User avatar
ak13
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:29 am

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby ak13 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:23 pm

iamnooneelse wrote:
ak13 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
Hoosier wrote:Image



At first I thought that was a bear next to the man golfing, wouldn't surprise me since it is Montana and all...


I would go just to have a bear as a caddy. "Bear, hand me my 9 iron!"


I'd go just for the challenging golf. "Play it as it lies" is a bit more sinister phrase when Momma Bear is breathing down your back because you just nailed Winnie the Poo with blunt force to the head from a shanked drive.


Is this your ball? It struck my foot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G52aaTFibHo

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby Borhas » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:09 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:According to Law School Confidential...

Harvard of the South: Duke
Harvard of the Heartland: Chicago
Harvard of the West: Stanford


Duke is USC of the South
Chicago is the MIT of the heartland
UVa is Michigan of the East
Stanford is the Yale of the West
Harvard is the University of Montana of Boston
Columbia is the Harvard of New York

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Is this school respectable?

Postby Helicio » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Borhas wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:According to Law School Confidential...

Harvard of the South: Duke
Harvard of the Heartland: Chicago
Harvard of the West: Stanford


Duke is USC of the South
Chicago is the MIT of the heartland
UVa is Michigan of the East
Stanford is the Yale of the West
Harvard is the University of Montana of Boston
Columbia is the Harvard of New York


Duke is the Duke of the South.
Chicago is the Chicago of the heartland.
UVA is the UVA of the East.
Stanford is the Stanford of the West.
Harvard is the Harvard.
Columbia is the Columbia of New York.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AnMzungu, guybourdin, hip to be Square, SolRs and 7 guests