Is this school respectable? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sprezzatura

New

Is this school respectable?

Post by sprezzatura » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:45 am

The University of Montana calls itself the "Harvard of the West," and I'm in no position to judge. What do other people (and more importantly, T14 adcomms) think of it?
EDIT: I mean the undergrad, not law school.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Re: Is this school respectable?

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 am

sprezzatura wrote:The University of Montana calls itself the "Harvard of the West," and I'm in no position to judge. What do other people (and more importantly, T14 adcomms) think of it?
Harvard>Montana>Princeton>Michigan. I'm pretty sure that's the order the T14 go by.... at least as of 2008.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 am

sprezzatura wrote:The University of Montana calls itself the "Harvard of the West," and I'm in no position to judge. What do other people (and more importantly, T14 adcomms) think of it?
They call it a Harvard of south-south -western (and then bit to center) part of Montana.

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:50 am

Law schools apparently don't give a hoot where you go for UG provided you get an extremely high GPA/respectable LSAT score.

But to be honest I don't understand how anyone in their sane mind would want to go to Uni in Montana. Harvard of the west my ass. You'd be among the inbred children of cattle ranchers....

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:53 am

liberty wrote:Law schools apparently don't give a hoot where you go for UG provided you get an extremely high GPA/respectable LSAT score.

But to be honest I don't understand how anyone in their sane mind would want to go to Uni in Montana. Harvard of the west my ass. You'd be among the inbred children of cattle ranchers....
Well, well, well. Better an inbred cattle rancher than a butt raped pirate I say!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:55 am

It's fucking cheap, and free if you stay in the state and practice (I think. At least that goes for the medical school). If you like small towns, it's a helluva deal.

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:58 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
liberty wrote:Law schools apparently don't give a hoot where you go for UG provided you get an extremely high GPA/respectable LSAT score.

Well, well, well. Better an inbred cattle rancher than a butt raped pirate I say!

I'd rather be a pirate with an exiting job protecting somali waters from toxic dumping ships than a cattle fucker

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:59 am

liberty wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

I'd rather be a pirate with an exiting job protecting somali waters from toxic dumping ships than a cattle fucker
Can we have picture of the cattle?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:59 am

I call myself 'The Harvard of Crunk', but I'm in no position to judge. What do other people (and more importantly, T14 adcomms) think of me?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 am

holydonkey wrote:I call myself 'The Harvard of Crunk', but I'm in no position to judge. What do other people (and more importantly, T14 adcomms) think of me?
Is this a response to
JustDude wrote:
liberty wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:13 am

JustDude wrote:
liberty wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

I think she likes u

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:31 am

Harvard of the west, perhaps not. It is in Missoula though. A happening place, this Missoula, or so the kids say.

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:01 pm

JustDude wrote:
They call it a Harvard of south-south -western (and then bit to center) part of Montana.
No, that's Bozeman- Montana State. The U of M is central far-western. What do you want to be when you grow up? U of M has some good programs.

Edit, to add: And is indeed a happenin' place.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:06 pm

I thought Carleton College was supposedly the Harvard of the west?

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:36 pm

Fuck y'all – Missoula is an awesome town. As long as we're throwing around these metaphors, let's call it the "Boulder of the North." If you're into outdoors stuff it's a great place to go to school or live. I have a pipe dream about retiring there, if retiring is something Americans still do decades from now. I don't know about the revered "T14," but the school is well-respected regionally and would definitely not be looked down on by the better western law schools (UW, Colorado, Utah, etc.).

Volo

New

Post by Volo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:49 pm

There is a party in me pants.

dp1987

New

Post by dp1987 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Renzo wrote: It's fucking cheap, and free if you stay in the state and practice (I think. At least that goes for the medical school). If you like small towns, it's a helluva deal.
The University of Montana does not have a medical school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:08 pm

If Montana's claim is true, Stanford and UCB should pack it in. Maybe they meant to say "we're the Harvard of the greater Dakotas."

I had no prior knowledge about Montana. The fact that they compare themselves to Harvard lessens my opinion of them. Why not stand on your own merits as a quality, affordable university serving the people of Montana rather than comparing yourself to one of the most prestigous universities on earth?

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:21 pm

you think getting butt raped is better than having a mother who is also your sister?
Last edited by SandyC877 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UF Gators

Bronze

Post by UF Gators » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:22 pm

j.wellington wrote:Fuck y'all – Missoula is an awesome town. As long as we're throwing around these metaphors, let's call it the "Boulder of the North." If you're into outdoors stuff it's a great place to go to school or live. I have a pipe dream about retiring there, if retiring is something Americans still do decades from now. I don't know about the revered "T14," but the school is well-respected regionally and would definitely not be looked down on by the better western law schools (UW, Colorado, Utah, etc.).
I have been to Missoula, seems like a depressing place to be. Actually all of Montana seems like a depressing place to be.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:24 pm

If you have to ask, no. If they call themselves 'the Harvard of ______' or 'the _______ Ivy', run, don't walk.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:25 pm

I think there is something charming about states like Montana and Wyoming. Living in a Western, fairly unpopulated state myself, there is something attractive about living a simple life, and banking huge bucks while monopolizing all of the legal needs of an entire county.

sprezzatura

New

Post by sprezzatura » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:15 pm

j.wellington, thanks for the helpful reply.
I definitely didn't mean that I thought UM was literally the Harvard of the West - it was the exorbitant bragging that got me curious.
But just to be clear - let's say I get a GPA and LSAT that qualify me for the upper T14 (don't jump on me, these are just hypothetical givens), will having UM on my transcript make Stanford or Columbia turn up their nose at me, or put me at the back of a long line of 3.9/173s with Ivy League undergrads?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:43 pm

dp1987 wrote:
Renzo wrote: It's fucking cheap, and free if you stay in the state and practice (I think. At least that goes for the medical school). If you like small towns, it's a helluva deal.
The University of Montana does not have a medical school.
Argh. You got me. I confused my desolate wasteland states. I was thinking of U. North Dakota.

A friend's kid is in medical school there (UND, not Montana), and says it's a steal at full price with plenty of ways to get out of paying your loans.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Kohinoor wrote:If you have to ask, no. If they call themselves 'the Harvard of ______' or 'the _______ Ivy', run, don't walk.
especially those "Public Ivies"
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”