Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
liberty

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby liberty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:18 am

Apparently the Indian woman at Yale does. Basha or whatever she's called.
OMG she seems so immature/misinformed on her blog. According to her it's rude to call the admissions office to inquire about the status about your applications when all the guide books say that's a good way to show interest. How is that rude? Who does she think she is anyway

and she's a total stocker too

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:33 am

liberty wrote:Apparently the Indian woman at Yale does. Basha or whatever she's called.
OMG she seems so immature/misinformed on her blog. According to her it's rude to call the admissions office to inquire about the status about your applications when all the guide books say that's a good way to show interest. How is that rude? Who does she think she is anyway

Liberty = Yale admissions officer chumming the waters?

Me think so

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:41 am

liberty wrote:Apparently the Indian woman at Yale does. Basha or whatever she's called.

Too obvious dude, I don't think anyone's gonna bite. :(

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:05 am

BenJ wrote:
Sogui wrote:It's all fun and games until Yale dings you for that comment.

If Yale doesn't appreciate my humor, I'd rather go to NYU anyway ;)

So you'd let Yale put cameras in your bathroom if accepted but you'd turn them down if they don't like your humor?

BigA

Postby BigA » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:07 am

Me-a Culpa wrote:I'm 99.98% sure I got waitlisted because of my LSN profile. Foolishly, I used exact numbers and outlined my intentions for each school.
Like the other said, Pless all but guaranteed this.

Edit: I just kinda thought about your second comment. I was wondering why anyone could get dinged just by adcoms finding out they are on lsn or post here

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:04 am

BigA wrote:
Me-a Culpa wrote:I'm 99.98% sure I got waitlisted because of my LSN profile. Foolishly, I used exact numbers and outlined my intentions for each school.

Edit: I just kinda thought about your second comment. I was wondering why anyone could get dinged just by adcoms finding out they are on lsn or post here

Why would it matter if you behave normally on the web? It is not terribly hard to figure out who anyone is online with the information you submit in your applications. I guess it would hurt if you act like a jerk or immature online. Personally there is NOTHING I have said online I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it in person so I don't think hiding my identity is a concern at all.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:22 am

r6_philly wrote:
BigA wrote:

Why would it matter if you behave normally on the web? It is not terribly hard to figure out who anyone is online with the information you submit in your applications. I guess it would hurt if you act like a jerk or immature online. Personally there is NOTHING I have said online I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it in person so I don't think hiding my identity is a concern at all.

+1 I say that it pays to be civil. And imagine, if you said enough insightful, brilliant things, it could be like an extra addendum to your app. Right next to work experience on the adcomm's check list, they could put Pulitzer Prize winning forum posts.

Rowinguy2009 wrote:

Liberty = Yale admissions officer chumming the waters?

Me think so

Kakarot wrote:
summerstar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I think it is kinda cool. Although that pretty much killed the Yale thread though.

STALKED! By your law school!

creepy

Even worse, stalked by Dean Asha, a former FBI special agent.

Hmmm...Dean Rangappa, are you conducting recon?

EDIT. Next on: To Catch a Flamer...

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 am

Sogui wrote:
BenJ wrote:
Sogui wrote:It's all fun and games until Yale dings you for that comment.

If Yale doesn't appreciate my humor, I'd rather go to NYU anyway ;)

So you'd let Yale put cameras in your bathroom if accepted but you'd turn them down if they don't like your humor?

lol Was thinking the same thing. Too funny

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:01 am

r6_philly wrote:Why would it matter if you behave normally on the web? It is not terribly hard to figure out who anyone is online with the information you submit in your applications. I guess it would hurt if you act like a jerk or immature online. Personally there is NOTHING I have said online I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it in person so I don't think hiding my identity is a concern at all.

Just because you would feel comfortable saying it doesnt mean people will be ok with it. You could say something completely innocuous like "My favorite color is BLOOOOO :D :D " and an adcomm who hates the color blue because of a severe childhood tragedy that occurred at a Blue Man Group concert might ding you for it.

Me-a Culpa

Postby Me-a Culpa » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:25 am

BigA wrote:I was wondering why anyone could get dinged just by adcoms finding out they are on lsn or post here

The short version: I wrote that I had ZERO intention to attend the school and that I'd withdraw after they offered $$ in a very sarcastic and demeaning way. Kind of like they should be excited I applied.... it was foolish for several reasons, but mostly since some people actually want to attend.

The profile was meant to serve two purposes 1) humor and 2) a source of info

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:48 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Why would it matter if you behave normally on the web? It is not terribly hard to figure out who anyone is online with the information you submit in your applications. I guess it would hurt if you act like a jerk or immature online. Personally there is NOTHING I have said online I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it in person so I don't think hiding my identity is a concern at all.

Just because you would feel comfortable saying it doesnt mean people will be ok with it. You could say something completely innocuous like "My favorite color is BLOOOOO :D :D " and an adcomm who hates the color blue because of a severe childhood tragedy that occurred at a Blue Man Group concert might ding you for it.

That may be so, but then what stops me from using the color blue in my personal statement and get dinged for it? I am who I am, with a certain personality, a certain perspective. It comes through in my forum posts, comes through in my resume, in my PS, in my WE, in my life choices. I have no illusion that I will not be judged by them. On the contrary, I am proud that I can shape a definite image of myself, and if a school is not pleased with who I am, I doubt I would be able to overcome that no matter what.

The point is not to paint a image of yourself online that is NOT who you are. A lot of people tend to do that though, hence the need to stay anonymous. Not in my case.

Eieio

Postby Eieio » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:54 pm

BenJ wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
summerstar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I think it is kinda cool. Although that pretty much killed the Yale thread though.

STALKED! By your law school!

creepy

If it is indeed "my law school", it can stalk me any day :wink:

TITCR. Yale can install cameras in my bathroom if they let me in :lol:

Suppose they wanted to install the cameras to figure out if they wanted to admit you...

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:30 pm

summerstar wrote:yes, and not just to check out applicants, but it would stand to reason that they keep their finger on the pulse of their own standings ( apart form official rankings). I'm sure they laugh when they see us deriding some aspect or praising another...

sort of a 'word up, dude' , what's the word on the street?

what...we're the LS grapevine?

well, yeah.

+1

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
manbearwig wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:Bump

Did you really just bump a thread that was less than 20 minutes old?

You're just playing into his game man, and so am I.

+1

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:55 pm

liberty, you are such a clown, you make me laugh so much, keep up the good work

i went through all your past postings, you are ridiculously hilarious

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”