Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
DeSilentio2728
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Do admissions officers peruse forums in an attempt to match forum participants to applications? I would think that at times it might would be possible to make an educated guess if one were to have the application in hand, and also view, say the lsn numbers website (if one was liberal with their info on that site). Granted they most likely do not have enough time to do something like this, but maybe they browse the sites when they head home for the night.

User avatar
booby87
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby booby87 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:31 pm

.
Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
summerstar
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby summerstar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:38 pm

yes, and not just to check out applicants, but it would stand to reason that they keep their finger on the pulse of their own standings ( apart form official rankings). I'm sure they laugh when they see us deriding some aspect or praising another...

sort of a 'word up, dude' , what's the word on the street?

what...we're the LS grapevine?

well, yeah.

blackmamba76
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby blackmamba76 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Bump

User avatar
manbearwig
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby manbearwig » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:42 pm

blackmamba76 wrote:Bump


Did you really just bump a thread that was less than 20 minutes old?

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:43 pm

manbearwig wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:Bump


Did you really just bump a thread that was less than 20 minutes old?


You're just playing into his game man, and so am I.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:46 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
manbearwig wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:Bump


Did you really just bump a thread that was less than 20 minutes old?


You're just playing into his game man, and so am I.

User avatar
Trifles
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby Trifles » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Image

User avatar
TheLuckyOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby TheLuckyOne » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:24 pm

booby87 wrote:yes

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/default.aspx

edit: maybe not to identify applicants but it seems that several read their school's threads.


Whoa! :shock: This is some serious stuff...

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 pm

I think it is kinda cool. Although that pretty much killed the Yale thread though.

User avatar
summerstar
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby summerstar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:I think it is kinda cool. Although that pretty much killed the Yale thread though.


STALKED! By your law school!

creepy

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby cubswin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:23 pm

(And by the way, you guys have way too much time on your hands.)


:lol:

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby Unitas » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:28 pm

summerstar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I think it is kinda cool. Although that pretty much killed the Yale thread though.


STALKED! By your law school!

creepy


Even worse, stalked by Dean Asha, a former FBI special agent.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:29 pm

summerstar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I think it is kinda cool. Although that pretty much killed the Yale thread though.


STALKED! By your law school!

creepy


If it is indeed "my law school", it can stalk me any day :wink:

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Pless had his own thread. Also, I remember last cycle that NU may have followed related threads supported subsequent twitter feeds.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:31 pm

cubswin wrote:
(And by the way, you guys have way too much time on your hands.)


:lol:


My post count is not high by any means, it was really impressive to see me addressed first. Perhaps what I was saying really needed to be addressed.

Me-a Culpa
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby Me-a Culpa » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:Do admissions officers peruse forums in an attempt to match forum participants to applications? I would think that at times it might would be possible to make an educated guess if one were to have the application in hand, and also view, say the lsn numbers website (if one was liberal with their info on that site). Granted they most likely do not have enough time to do something like this, but maybe they browse the sites when they head home for the night.

I'm 99.98% sure I got waitlisted because of my LSN profile. Foolishly, I used exact numbers and outlined my intentions for each school.

Like the other said, Pless all but guaranteed this.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
summerstar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I think it is kinda cool. Although that pretty much killed the Yale thread though.


STALKED! By your law school!

creepy


If it is indeed "my law school", it can stalk me any day :wink:


TITCR. Yale can install cameras in my bathroom if they let me in :lol:

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby Sogui » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 pm

BenJ wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
summerstar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I think it is kinda cool. Although that pretty much killed the Yale thread though.


STALKED! By your law school!

creepy


If it is indeed "my law school", it can stalk me any day :wink:


TITCR. Yale can install cameras in my bathroom if they let me in :lol:


It's all fun and games until Yale dings you for that comment.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:56 pm

Sogui wrote:It's all fun and games until Yale dings you for that comment.


If Yale doesn't appreciate my humor, I'd rather go to NYU anyway ;)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:00 pm

What if other schools ding you for wanting Yale so much?

Seriously for some of us this is such a life changing event, I think a little humor and a little obessessing is ok. Especially if it is about Yale.

SandyC877
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby SandyC877 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:32 pm

booby87 wrote:yes

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/default.aspx

edit: maybe not to identify applicants but it seems that several read their school's threads.


What if they assume the identity and it happens to be a wrong person? isn't this a very dangerous assumption to make?

User avatar
summerstar
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby summerstar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:32 pm

Kakarot wrote:
summerstar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I think it is kinda cool. Although that pretty much killed the Yale thread though.


STALKED! By your law school!

creepy


Even worse, stalked by Dean Asha, a former FBI special agent.


LOL

edited twice because now I'm self-concious
Last edited by summerstar on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby BenJ » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:00 am

r6_philly wrote:What if other schools ding you for wanting Yale so much?

Seriously for some of us this is such a life changing event, I think a little humor and a little obessessing is ok. Especially if it is about Yale.


First off, I'm actually not obsessed with going to Yale. I'd probably let Harvard or Stanford install bathroom monitors, too ;) I find humor in these sorts of situations, and I also like joking about being obsessed with schools.

User avatar
booby87
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Do Admissions Officers Peruse Forums?

Postby booby87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:13 am

.
Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests