who fills out the fafsa?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
soda mayor

who fills out the fafsa?

Postby soda mayor » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:46 pm

If I am still being claimed as a dependent, do I fill out the fafsa in my name or does my mother do it?

champ33

Re: who fills out the fafsa?

Postby champ33 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:50 pm

From what I understand everyone going to law school is automatically independent. If you start the fafsa, and begin to answer the questions it will eventually determine on its own that you are independent.

shoop

Postby shoop » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:03 pm

soda mayor wrote:If I am still being claimed as a dependent, do I fill out the fafsa in my name or does my mother do it?

You fill it out yourself (with your and your parents' information) if you're a big kid. Your mommy fills it out with your information and hers (probably right after she does your 1040 form for you) if you're a little behind on the path to becoming a self-sufficient adult.

I did all my own FAFSAs for college. My mom does them for my brother. She also mails dental floss and other sundries to him because he can't be bothered to take the bus into town and go to Walgreens.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:06 pm

shoop wrote:
soda mayor wrote:If I am still being claimed as a dependent, do I fill out the fafsa in my name or does my mother do it?

You fill it out yourself (with your and your parents' information) if you're a big kid. Your mommy fills it out with your information and hers (probably right after she does your 1040 form for you) if you're a little behind on the path to becoming a self-sufficient adult.

I did all my own FAFSAs for college. My mom does them for my brother. She also mails dental floss and other sundries to him because he can't be bothered to take the bus into town and go to Walgreens.

Someone sounds bitter. :P

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”