High School Concurrent Enrollment Transcript

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: High School Concurrent Enrollment Transcript

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:33 pm

ricking1288 wrote:if your still anal about the difference between 3.9 and a 3.81.....what going to happen to u when u go to law school?

That's the difference between getting into UVA and not for a significant range of LSAT scores.

tinman

Postby tinman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Ethan Edwards wrote:I would talk to some one higher.

I agree with this. Talk to someone higher at LSAC. You are applying to become a lawyer. Advocate for yourself.

This seems unjust to me.

As someone with a similar GPA, I would have been extremely upset if my high school experience was carried over to college.

A >3.9 is significantly different than a ~3.8, the difference between summa cum laude and cum laude at many schools. And law schools will definitely care. All of them. Not just HYS. It will make the difference between big money and no money at a lot of places.

Fight for justice!!!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:57 pm

tinman wrote:

I agree with this. Talk to someone higher at LSAC. You are applying to become a lawyer. Advocate for yourself.

This seems unjust to me.

As someone with a similar GPA, I would have been extremely upset if my high school experience was carried over to college.

A >3.9 is significantly different than a ~3.8, the difference between summa cum laude and cum laude at many schools. And law schools will definitely care. All of them. Not just HYS. It will make the difference between big money and no money at a lot of places.

Fight for justice!!!

But the rules couldn't be anymore direct. As much as law is about advocacy, it is also knowing when you don't have a fighting chance in hell. Indeed, this an undisputable case of the later. In practice, it rarely makes sense to pursue frivilous lawsuits at your clients expense that have no real liklihood of success.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:05 pm

tinman wrote:

This seems unjust to me.

Fight for justice!!!

TINTCR. All college grades count, and these were classes for college credit.

shoop

Postby shoop » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 am

im_blue wrote:So your high school's "full of stupid people," yet you couldn't get A's in "college classes" taught by high school teachers? And you think you're HYS material? :roll:

The high school grades were curved within our high school class and the college grades were on a curve set by a section of the same course being taught at the state school that semester. Despite getting an A for the high school element, yes, I did get a B for 5 credits of college biology at the age of 16. I haven't seen anything on HYS websites that says that's an auto-deny.

To those who have finally given helpful answers, I'm going to wait until all my transcripts are up on LSAC and see if it's obvious that the state school credits were concurrent with high school (and not just 2 years of dicking around between high school and UG). If not, I'll write a brief addendum explaining they were taken on a high school campus and only because AP wasn't an option. I think is legit to point out that my high school put its top students in a position that a transcript from our hardest high school courses would follow us to law school, whereas students who didn't do fabulously on AP tests don't have to disclose that on law school apps.

Someone in a particularly helpful mood PM'ed me an example of an LSAC transcript summary with CC credits on it. Now that I see how the state school, my UG, and my study abroad transcripts will actually be shown, I'm not as freaked out. I'll blow the LSAT out of the water and be fine.
Last edited by shoop on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:41 am

shoop wrote:
im_blue wrote:So your high school's "full of stupid people," yet you couldn't get A's in "college classes" taught by high school teachers? And you think you're HYS material? :roll:

The high school grades were curved within our high school class and the college grades were on a curve set by a section of the same course being taught at the state school that semester. Despite getting an A for the high school element, yes, I did get a B for 5 credits of college biology at the age of 16. I haven't seen anything on HYS websites that says that's an auto-deny.

To those who have finally given helpful answers, I'm going to wait until all my transcripts are up on LSAC and see if it's obvious that the state school credits were concurrent with high school (and not just 2 years of dicking around between high school and UG). If not, I'll write a brief addendum explaining they were taken on a high school campus and only because AP wasn't an option. I think it's worth noting that my high school put top students in a position that a transcript from our hardest high school courses would follow us to law school, whereas students who didn't do fabulously on AP tests don't have to disclose that on law school apps.

Someone in a particularly helpful mood PM'ed me an example of an LSAC transcript summary with CC credits on it. Now that I see how the state school, my UG, and my study abroad transcripts will actually be shown, I'm not as freaked out. I'll blow the LSAT out of the water and be fine.

You don't get any smarter from age 16 to 19.

HTH

shoop

Postby shoop » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:43 am

Desert Fox wrote:
shoop wrote:

To those who have finally given helpful answers, I'm going to wait until all my transcripts are up on LSAC and see if it's obvious that the state school credits were concurrent with high school (and not just 2 years of dicking around between high school and UG). If not, I'll write a brief addendum explaining they were taken on a high school campus and only because AP wasn't an option. I think it's worth noting that my high school put top students in a position that a transcript from our hardest high school courses would follow us to law school, whereas students who didn't do fabulously on AP tests don't have to disclose that on law school apps.

HTH

Maybe not, but somehow I busted out a 3.9__ between 18 and 22 at a top 20 private university.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:46 am

shoop wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
shoop wrote:

HTH

Maybe not, but somehow I busted out a 3.9__ between 18 and 22 at a top 20 private university.

You didn't try hard enough.

Top schools give out A's like candy.

You probably took liberal arts.

tinman

Postby tinman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
shoop wrote:Maybe not, but somehow I busted out a 3.9__ between 18 and 22 at a top 20 private university.

Desert Fox, I hope you are kidding. Even at the most generous liberal arts major at the most generous top school, 3.9+ is still a great accomplishment.

According to http://www.hourumd.com/
With a 3.95 and a 170, you have a 50-50 chance at Harvard.
With a 3.81 and a 170, you chances drop to 1 in 10.

It seems to me that the OP's ridiculous situation with their high school grades are tantamount to losing about 5 points on the LSAT. This is huge!!

It shocks me that people are attacking the OP for her ambitions. This forum is about Top Law Schools and yet many of you seem to deride her desire to attend a top law school.

Maybe people should not complain when they have a good shot at a T14. But if this technicality ruins someone's shot at Harvard, I personally think that they should be upset about it.

Besides, the difference between a 3.95 and a 3.81 will often mean the difference between tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money at many of the T14s. So even those of you that suddenly have a moral aversion to vanity despite your frequent TLS posts can perhaps still relate to avarice.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:58 pm

tinman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
shoop wrote:Maybe not, but somehow I busted out a 3.9__ between 18 and 22 at a top 20 private university.

Desert Fox, I hope you are kidding. Even at the most generous liberal arts major at the most generous top school, 3.9+ is still a great accomplishment.

Just trying to explain how its possible to get a 3.9 at a top private, and get a B in biology at a ttt state program during high school.

3.9+ is a huge accomplishment, but that doesn't mean the B in biology was a mistake. Public schools can be stingy with A's, Biology is harder than what most law students take, and he probably didn't try very hard since he thought it was still high school.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:01 pm

tinman wrote:

It seems to me that the OP's ridiculous situation with their high school grades are tantamount to losing about 5 points on the LSAT. This is huge!!

It shocks me that people are attacking the OP for her ambitions. This forum is about Top Law Schools and yet many of you seem to deride her desire to attend a top law school.

Maybe people should not complain when they have a good shot at a T14. But if this technicality ruins someone's shot at Harvard, I personally think that they should be upset about it.

Besides, the difference between a 3.95 and a 3.81 will often mean the difference between tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money at many of the T14s. So even those of you that suddenly have a moral aversion to vanity despite your frequent TLS posts can perhaps still relate to avarice.

Plenty of people's GPA get trashed by taking a couple hard courses, why should the OP be different?

I actually think that the LDAS gpa should be whatever an accredited college or uni says it is, but that isn't how the system works.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:44 pm

tinman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I call bullshit on the GPA drop due to one B in Biology. Some quick math will show that if OP were a college junior right now with 75 credits (5 semesters), that means she got a 3.86 degree GPA. If OP were a college senior with 105 credits (7 semesters), she got a 3.85 degree GPA.

A college senior with 105 credits of 3.9 would need 12 B's to drag that down to a 3.81. A senior with a 3.95 would need 18 B's to end up with 3.81.

Desert Fox wrote:Plenty of people's GPA get trashed by taking a couple hard courses, why should the OP be different?

TITCR, and these are B's from "Crappy State School." OP needs to show some humility rather than presuming she'll pwn the LSAT and take her rightful spot at HYS. God forbid that she might end up at a T14!

tinman

Postby tinman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:53 pm

im_blue wrote:
tinman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I call bullshit on the GPA drop due to one B in Biology. Some quick math will show that if OP were a college junior right now with 75 credits (5 semesters), that means she got a 3.86 degree GPA. If OP were a college senior with 105 credits (7 semesters), she got a 3.85 degree GPA.

A college senior with 105 credits of 3.9 would need 12 B's to drag that down to a 3.81. A senior with a 3.95 would need 18 B's to end up with 3.81.

Desert Fox wrote:Plenty of people's GPA get trashed by taking a couple hard courses, why should the OP be different?

TITCR, and these are B's from "Crappy State School." OP needs to show some humility rather than presuming she'll pwn the LSAT and take her rightful spot at HYS. God forbid that she might end up at a T14!

The LSAC normalizes your grades though, yes? I would bet even a 4.0 from the junior college that the OP "attended" would bring down her stellar GPA. If that is the case, that even the As from high school are bring down her GPA, are you then more sympathetic?

3.9+ is a huge accomplishment, but that doesn't mean the B in biology was a mistake. Public schools can be stingy with A's, Biology is harder than what most law students take, and he probably didn't try very hard since he thought it was still high school.

I agree. My undergraduate degree was in biochemistry, and I definitely think that the difficulty of the major should be taken into account by the LSAC. I think law school admissions are especially savage for engineering students, where GPAs are traditionally the lowest.

But still, even if she majored in basket weaving, if the average GPA for basket weaving is 3.6 and hers is a 3.9, I'm still impressed.

njskatchmo

Postby njskatchmo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:09 pm

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:20 pm

tinman wrote:The LSAC normalizes your grades though, yes? I would bet even a 4.0 from the junior college that the OP "attended" would bring down her stellar GPA. If that is the case, that even the As from high school are bring down her GPA, are you then more sympathetic?

Since her GPA is below a 4.0 ever so slightly, As couldn't bring it down. A 4.0 from a community college would be treated the same numerically as a 4.0 from HYP. An adcomm would presumably look at them differently, but LSAC wouldn't and the rankings don't care.

OP, if I were you I'd relax and worry more about the LSAT. If you're really that concerned when it comes time to apply you can write an addendum, but I don't think it would be necessary. It's not that uncommon an experience.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 pm

tinman wrote:The LSAC normalizes your grades though, yes? I would bet even a 4.0 from the junior college that the OP "attended" would bring down her stellar GPA. If that is the case, that even the As from high school are bring down her GPA, are you then more sympathetic?

Um...what? A's from high school dual credit and community college count the same as A's from any 4-year university, i.e. 4.0. Therefore, it's not mathematically possible for one B to drop a 3.9_ to a 3.81, and there must be several such B's (12-18 credits by my calculation).

OP, if you double check your math you might be pleasantly surprised, since 5 credits of B should drop you by at most 0.04:
(105*3.9 + 5*3)/110 = 3.86
(105*3.95 + 5*3)/110 = 3.91

shoop

Postby shoop » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:09 pm

Thank you to everyone who has tried to re-figure my GPA in the last few posts (either to reassure me or try and prove that I'm too stupid to even get the numbers that underlie my question correct). However, a lot of the assumptions y'all made about my number of credits at UG (they have a weird system), semester vs quarter credits, the dual-transcript system between high school and the state school, and number of "Bs" on my state school transcript are completely wrong or contradict facts I've stated.

Assuming the LSAC GPA calculator at lawschoolpredictor.com works correctly, I'm pretty sure my numbers are right. My LSAC report is going to show the CSS grades and my UG grades separately in addition to the cumulative "every college credit, EVER" GPA, and I think they'll also show the average GPA of people who attended those schools at the same time as me and who have registered with LSDAS, so I'm fine.

Desert Fox wrote:I actually think that the LDAS gpa should be whatever an accredited college or uni says it is, but that isn't how the system works.

What, did you go to one of those colleges where it's possible to earn a GPA higher than 4.0? Schools like that, and schools with a non-4.0 scale like Harvard UG used to have, are the reason LSDAS needs to standardize in the first place.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:27 pm

shoop wrote:Thank you to everyone who has tried to re-figure my GPA in the last few posts (either to reassure me or try and prove that I'm too stupid to even get the numbers that underlie my question correct). However, a lot of the assumptions y'all made about my number of credits at UG (they have a weird system), semester vs quarter credits, the dual-transcript system between high school and the state school, and number of "Bs" on my state school transcript are completely wrong or contradict facts I've stated.

Assuming the LSAC GPA calculator at lawschoolpredictor.com works correctly, I'm pretty sure my numbers are right. My LSAC report is going to show the CSS grades and my UG grades separately in addition to the cumulative "every college credit, EVER" GPA, and I think they'll also show the average GPA of people who attended those schools at the same time as me and who have registered with LSDAS, so I'm fine.

Desert Fox wrote:I actually think that the LDAS gpa should be whatever an accredited college or uni says it is, but that isn't how the system works.

What, did you go to one of those colleges where it's possible to earn a GPA higher than 4.0? Schools like that, and schools with a non-4.0 scale like Harvard UG used to have, are the reason LSDAS needs to standardize in the first place.

Haha no, my LSDAS GPA is exactly the same as degree GPA.

I think LSAC standardizes extremely poorly. Why do they trust Harvard to determine was A quality work is, yet don't allow them to determine what your final GPA is? I also think it is BS to punish people for getting a few bad grades then starting over later and doing great. I think its bullshit to compare a degree in Chemical engineering with one in Poli Sci.

It would also let people get second bachelors with a new gpa.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”