Is criteria for scholarships different than for admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
j.wellington

Is criteria for scholarships different than for admissions?

Postby j.wellington » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:29 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew the criteria admissions offices use to determine merit-based scholarships. My statistics are pretty middle-of-the-road, but I've got some "softs" that I'm hoping will set me apart (public service-y stuff; not URM). Are the soft factors that might boost someone in the admissions process also considered in scholarship decisions, or is money more strictly tied to numbers? Also, does anyone know how common it is for schools to give scholarships based on performance in your first year?

traehekat

Re: Is criteria for scholarships different than for admissions?

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:43 pm

What my own experience and what I have seen, it is pretty much the same criteria (meaning GPA/LSAT are the biggest determinants, with softs playing a small, small role).

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:46 pm

I believe scholarship money is mostly a numbers game. However, I am sure there are admitted students who, even without spectacular numbers, are much valued to a certain law school, and could also receive scholarship.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:47 pm

One school that I got accepted to (I think Emory, but could be wrong) openly admitted that LSAT/GPA were basically the only important think when it came to scholarship info. I was surprised they were so upfront about such a thing.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:One school that I got accepted to (I think Emory, but could be wrong) openly admitted that LSAT/GPA were basically the only important think when it came to scholarship info. I was surprised they were so upfront about such a thing.

I'm one of them! =) Be positive. They do care about your other factors.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”