What are my chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fangonk

What are my chances?

Postby fangonk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:19 am

I have a really really unusual academic history and I would like to apply to a top 15 law school. I am trying to figure out if I stand a reasonable chance of being accepted, so I have attached a really quick overview of my history and applicable background:

Im a graduating senior (I have one semester to go) and I attend a top 5 university in Japan. I moved to Japan in order to learn Japanese fluently (which I have accomplished) after my senior year of high school. I also have some other application padding (former rotary youth ambassador, cello player, etc..). I grew up in the rural south, well under the poverty line.

Im not looking for positive reinforcement here, just an realistic discussion of my chances. Also, if you have any advice for improving my chances before I apply next fall, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Last edited by fangonk on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoS

Re: What are my chances?

Postby MoS » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:34 am

Based on LSN I would say you have a decent shot at a T15 school. Probably in the lower range. I wouldn't expect any money from them, and I would be sure to have all you ducks in a row when applying since you GPA is low. I don't think grad school is enough to distance yourself from that GPA, and I am not sure how far the working excuse goes in explaining a lower GPA. Good Luck

fangonk

Re: What are my chances?

Postby fangonk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:36 am

Yeah, I should have made this clearer. I was in Japan as an undergraduate not a grad student.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”