Full rides at T4? Do I have a shot?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawChap

Full rides at T4? Do I have a shot?

Postby LawChap » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:54 pm

161 LSAT and a 3.52 LSDAS GPA

I am looking to receive my JD and was hoping to get it for next to nothing,

Do I have any odds of receiving and scholly money from

1.Touro
2. Stetson
3. Wyoming
4. Vermont
5. Golden Gate
6. New England
7. Roger Williams
8. Thomas Jefferson

Any advice is appreciated.

twopoodles

Re: Full rides at T4? Do I have a shot?

Postby twopoodles » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:09 pm

I think you can do better than T4...my numbers were relatively close and I received full tuition at tier 2. I don't know if there are any schools that give over full tuition (living expenses). I am under the impression that private schools are less inclined to give the full tuition than public, but that may just be the schools I was looking at.

Metfan

Postby Metfan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:34 pm

twopoodles wrote:I think you can do better than T4...my numbers were relatively close and I received full tuition at tier 2. I don't know if there are any schools that give over full tuition (living expenses). I am under the impression that private schools are less inclined to give the full tuition than public, but that may just be the schools I was looking at.

Agreed. Maybe go to a T2 with less than a full ride, but much better job prospects. Just my two cents.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:26 pm

LawChap wrote:161 LSAT and a 3.52 LSDAS GPA

I am looking to receive my JD and was hoping to get it for next to nothing,

Do I have any odds of receiving and scholly money from

1.Touro
2. Stetson
3. Wyoming
4. Vermont
5. Golden Gate
6. New England
7. Roger Williams
8. Thomas Jefferson

Any advice is appreciated.

Have you already applied this year? Or is this a list of schools you are potentially applying to next year?

Stetson is not T4 - it is T3/T2, and in terms of job prospects it is well above the rest of these schools (excluding Vermont - for environmental law only) and many T2s. Moreover, you'd have somewhat of a chance at a full ride there. I have a 166/3.75 and I'm still considering Stetson (though TLS will likely say I'm mad for that :)) with a full ride+stipend they offered.

Vermont has sky-high tuition, but I'd guess you would be offered 25k/year (cutting your portion down to 18k/year), and they have dirt-cheap Cost-of-Living (COL).

Golden Gate might give you a full-ride, but they have a very tough go of it regarding employment prospects.

Also, I can't see any pattern with the regions of your choices, so I'd suggest some other schools than your current selections (which are actually among the stingiest T4s for scholarship money).

Michigan State is a T3 school that would very likely offer you a full scholarship. They are definitely a school that has been moving up towards, plus I think the name recognition factor will help it in the future as well. They also have a lot of dual degrees if you are into that sort of thing.

Mercer would likely offer you about 2/3 scholarship, but you might get a full ride there. The nice thing is that they put no GPA stipulation on their scholarships (just don't fail out).

Hofstra - guessing a 3/4 ride, but obviously COL is high in NY.

Chapman -Good shot at full ride, but top 33% requirement for said full ride. Good T3 (likely moving towards T2 based on LSAT and GPA within a few years) and highly rated (or overrated) quality of life in the OC. Again, high COL.

Valparaiso - T4 that is between Notre Dame and Chicago regionally, so a lot of competition. However, they give out scholarships like candy (you'd be almost a lock for tuition and books). That being said, they have notoriously tough renewal requirements.

Duquesne - T4 that places well in Pittsburgh, which is cheap to live in and definitely a city that has cleaned up a lot. It's actually quite pretty (imho) there. They'd likely offer a full scholarship to you.

Drexel - Controversial here because they are new and have no alumni network, but a good UG and high LSAT/GPA for their first classes. Would likely offer 2/3 based on LSN stats.

Washburn - It's in Topeka, Kansas, so there's that. However, does well for a T4 within it's region, and would very likely offer tuition and books. You are almost certainly out of state, though, so I don't know how that would complicate things.

UST Minneapolis/Hamline - Two schools in Minneapolis that give out full rides sometimes to those with your numbers.

Syracuse - They've been much more generous with scholarship money this cycle (probably trying to climb back up in the rankings) and it appears you are in the 3/4 (33k) ride range (which leaves you 10k tuition to pay each year). They have some awesome dual degree programs with the more-respected Syracuse graduate programs.

Tulsa - To go truly debt free, they have some new scholarships (they send 7 million emails to everyone and their children/sisters/dogs) that provide full ride and full room/board for some of those with a 159/3.40 or higher.

Southwestern - Decent chance for full ride at a school that is pretty well-respected in SoCal. Definitely very urban (high-rise Art Deco in LA proper).

Penn State - Probably would give you 15-20k, which is actually (apparently) their max scholarship. School that has been going up in the rankings (now middle of T2) but has tons of competition in Pennsylvania.

Seton Hall - higher-end T2 that gives 2/3-full rides for those with your numbers. Does well in NJ, and not a bad school overall.

Toledo - LSN Profile and LSAC suggest thay are impossibly generous with scholarship money, but LSN applicants don't seem to bear this out. In any case, they are known to have very strict renewal requirements, but... the app is free.

Akron - Almost identical to Toledo (another Ohio state school with the same generosity, entrance stats, and reputation for strict renewal reqs).

There are a few more, and I'll post them when I have time.

Hope that helps, though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”