Who is Judging Your Application?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UF Gators

Re: Who is Judging Your Application?

Postby UF Gators » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:53 pm

I honestly don't blame the guy, he could probably sense your attitude.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:54 pm

No offense, but why are you even asking a representative from the school how the school looks? I understand wanting to know, but you aren't going to get an unbiased answer from someone representing the school.

"Oh yeah, it looks horrible, but we are still T14, so..."

Just look for pictures online and talk to current students from there about it (who although may still be a bit biased, at least they will most likely be less so).

Your second question was legitimate, though, and the answer you received a little condescending. Either he misunderstood what you meant (most likely) or he seems to think anyone with doubts about law school is doomed.

twopoodles

Postby twopoodles » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:03 pm

I don't think her answers were great...but neither were your questions. Just a little psychology would explain why she was on the defensive so quickly. Did you really not realize your questions were not neutral? I think your concerns were legitimate, but your questions sucked.

Concern: Building has a reputation for resembling the Castle of Dracula
Neutral Question: What would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of your law building/facilities?

Concern: Law sounds really f-ing boring.
Neutral Question: Did you find most of your classes in law school to be interesting and engaging? Was it what you expected?

8spottedforester

Postby 8spottedforester » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:03 pm

traehekat wrote:No offense, but why are you even asking a representative from the school how the school looks? I understand wanting to know, but you aren't going to get an unbiased answer from someone representing the school.

Just look for pictures online and talk to current students from there about it (who although may still be a bit biased, at least they will most likely be less so).

Your second question was legitimate, though, and the answer you received a little condescending. Either he misunderstood what you meant (most likely) or he seems to think anyone with doubts about law school is doomed.

Yeah, I agree there's a bias. I actually only asked because I was tired of everyone (including myself) only asking questions that anyone who has done any research already knows the answers to. I drove all the way down here just to get a regurgitation of TLS school profiles? I tried to think of a question that I remember finding more conflicting answers to and that's the first that I thought of.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:07 pm

I was at the Houston LSAC forum, too. It's crazy how young many of these assistant deans of admission are. A few I met seemed like they were in their mid 20s.

8spottedforester

Postby 8spottedforester » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:11 pm

Pussy Galore wrote:I honestly don't blame the guy, he could probably sense your attitude.

I hope she sensed my attitude, because it was a great one! I had my nice shirt on, and a big toothy grin :mrgreen: It turned to a combination of :oops: and :shock: once she started accusing me of being contradictory.

Seriously, where are you reading this "attitude" from?

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:12 pm

8spottedforester wrote:Seriously, where are you reading this "attitude" from?

From you telling an adcomm their school is ugly.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:15 pm

8spottedforester wrote:
traehekat wrote:No offense, but why are you even asking a representative from the school how the school looks? I understand wanting to know, but you aren't going to get an unbiased answer from someone representing the school.

Yeah, I agree there's a bias. I actually only asked because I was tired of everyone (including myself) only asking questions that anyone who has done any research already knows the answers to. I drove all the way down here just to get a regurgitation of TLS school profiles? I tried to think of a question that I remember finding more conflicting answers to and that's the first that I thought of.

I can sympathize. I remember a day or so before we had a big forum here at my undergrad trying to think of some questions to ask schools and it was tough to think of any that I couldn't just find on their website or something else. It seems even when you DO find a question that appears it may yield an interesting answer, they just respond with something you read on their website the other night anyway. :P

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:16 pm

god

hth

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Dude, op, your questions blew, even if they were technically "fair game". You asked them doucheily and then the dean doucheily responded to you.

Here's a helpful tip moving forward: sometimes some questions are more effectively phrased differently. I've given a few instructive hypos.

Ex 1. Managing partner at douchey biglaw firm
Q you might want to ask: your SAs look like zombies. What kind of crazy, inhuman hours do you subject your minions to?

Q you would ask instead: how is the QOL at said douchey biglaw firm?

Ex 2. Girl you want to lay
Q you might want to ask: wow, you're hot as shit. How much do I have to drop on dinner to get you to come home to my rat-infested, 1bedroom studio ?

Q you would ask instead: you're really beautiful. Where would you like to dine tonight?

Same but different right?

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:33 pm

miamiman wrote:Ex 2. Girl you want to lay
Q you might want to ask: wow, you're hot as shit. How much do I have to drop on dinner to get you to come home to my rat-infested, 1bedroom studio ?

Q you would ask instead: you're really beautiful. Where would you like to dine tonight?

lol

8spottedforester

Postby 8spottedforester » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:
8spottedforester wrote:Seriously, where are you reading this "attitude" from?

From you telling an adcomm their school is ugly.

I was concerned with the environment being gloomy, conducive to that infamous law school depression that I hear about. I think that's a legitimate concern, and I never said it was my opinion that the school is gloomy. I do not have an opinion of it myself, because I am not comfortable with assuming that some TLS'er who vehemently contends that it is depressingly glum, is right, simply by consulting some online photos (esp. since it's a school I'm considering).

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:44 pm

I had a similar experience at a Law School event in Honolulu last year. There were a bunch of TTT law school reps and one T20 school rep. I asked a few simple polite questions about a program that the school was known for and about a couple of professors and she was as defensive as hell and rude. That is one of the few top schools that i didn't apply to.

superserial

Postby superserial » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:30 am

I really hope adcoms browse TLS.

The fact that your interaction with Dean X lead you to conclude that Dean X was intellectually deficient, instead of causing you to reflect on your social retardation, indicates that you are profoundly socially retarded.

I like how you're concerned about adcoms making "terrible logic mistakes" in judging your applications when your OP is the culmination of several terrible logic mistakes (and one arrogant douchebag).

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:36 am

miamiman wrote:
Ex 2. Girl you want to lay

Yea, because that's not obvious. At all. In fact, had you not mentioned that the 1 bedroom studio is rat-infested, I would say your chances are better with question 1. Girls appreciate honesty :D lol

8spottedforester

Postby 8spottedforester » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:30 pm

superserial wrote:I really hope adcoms browse TLS.

The fact that your interaction with Dean X lead you to conclude that Dean X was intellectually deficient, instead of causing you to reflect on your social retardation, indicates that you are profoundly socially retarded.

I like how you're concerned about adcoms making "terrible logic mistakes" in judging your applications when your OP is the culmination of several terrible logic mistakes (and one arrogant douchebag).

Socially retarded? I'm fine with that. I wanted germane answers. Sometimes being Mr. Socially Perfect yields nothing but pre-scripted and utterly useless answers. I did not want to hear what everyone already knew. Even if I were "socially retarded," she didn't attack my "retardation," did she? No-- she accused me of being logically contradictory or inconsistent. And she failed. Perhaps you can sympathize with her, as some on this thread have done --she may have been having a bad day or whatever-- but if you think her logic was actually correct, you are also impaired in that department.

twert

Postby twert » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:37 pm

8spottedforester wrote:

Socially retarded? I'm fine with that. I wanted germane answers. Sometimes being Mr. Socially Perfect yields nothing but pre-scripted and utterly useless answers. I did not want to hear what everyone already knew. Even if I were "socially retarded," she didn't attack my "retardation," did she? No-- she accused me of being logically contradictory or inconsistent. And she failed. Perhaps you can sympathize with her, as some on this thread have done --she may have been having a bad day or whatever-- but if you think her logic was actually correct, you are also impaired in that department.

i'm glad i don't know you, you sound like a pain

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:39 pm

OP, I can't believe you flamed that dean of admissions in person with those comments - you can't act the same way in real life as you do in TLS! hth

A real life flame - this is like seeing an actual sasquatch in the woods, amazing.

superserial

Postby superserial » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:00 pm

8spottedforester wrote:

You are certifiably socially retarded.

Did you seriously think the Dean of Admissions was going to provide you with germane answers? Her job is to portray her law school in the best possible light to prospective students. If you want germane answers, maybe you should ask someone who isn't on the school's payroll.

She accused you of being logically contradictory because it was one of the only ways she could express that she thinks you're an epic douche in her professional capacity. Logical correctness was probably not her main concern.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:07 pm

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:08 pm

superserial wrote:
She accused you of being logically contradictory because it was one of the only ways she could express that she thinks you're an epic douche in her professional capacity. Logical correctness was probably not her main concern.

This is funny.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:40 am

Cupidity wrote:You sound like an asshole. First thing out of your mouth to someone who took the time to go to a law-school fair is "Your school is fucking ugly"

x2. My conclusion is that OP is a huge asshole.

Why would you talk about their school ranking as if it wasn't good enough for you? It sounds like you ticked him off with your full of shit 0L attitude.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”