Fee waivers this late in the game

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sean Bateman

Fee waivers this late in the game

Postby Sean Bateman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:10 pm

I had my applications finished some time ago. or so I thought.

About ten days ago, I received a fee waiver (or actually, a "we're waiving our application fee e-mail") from Washington and Lee. I always had interest in this school but I had already applied to 13 schools and one in VA (W&M). As much as I wanted to, I couldn't initially afford to apply to every school I liked. I had to cut out some of the fat. Washington and Lee was a part of that. Once they sent the fee waiver, it was really late in the game but I applied anyway because (a) it was only $12, and (b) I like the school a lot. I had skepticism about applying so late but whatever. Today I got a similar e-mail from University of Alabama. This school was never on the top of my list, but it's a decently ranked school and I do like the south. I'll probably send one to them as well, but for christ sake it's mid February.

Don't you guys think its a little too late to be applying? Do you think schools are only waiving fees now because they didn't get as many applications as they wanted? Should I just shut the F up and apply because its free and I have nothing to lose?

booboo

Re: Fee waivers this late in the game

Postby booboo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Sean Bateman wrote:I had my applications finished some time ago. or so I thought.

About ten days ago, I received a fee waiver (or actually, a "we're waiving our application fee e-mail") from Washington and Lee. I always had interest in this school but I had already applied to 13 schools and one in VA (W&M). As much as I wanted to, I couldn't initially afford to apply to every school I liked. I had to cut out some of the fat. Washington and Lee was a part of that. Once they sent the fee waiver, it was really late in the game but I applied anyway because (a) it was only $12, and (b) I like the school a lot. I had skepticism about applying so late but whatever. Today I got a similar e-mail from University of Alabama. This school was never on the top of my list, but it's a decently ranked school and I do like the south. I'll probably send one to them as well, but for christ sake it's mid February.

Don't you guys think its a little too late to be applying? Do you think schools are only waiving fees now because they didn't get as many applications as they wanted? Should I just shut the F up and apply because its free and I have nothing to lose?

No harm in applying, and it only cost $12 to know what your fate will be in the hands of those schools.

:).

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:26 pm

I think you should go ahead and apply. I applied to schools in late Jan/early Feb and I already have an acceptance. You just never know.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Just apply. It will take probably an hour, max. Who knows, you might get some good $ or really like one of those schools? Basically, there's no disadvantage.

eandy

Postby eandy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:46 pm

Washington and Lee has been free for everyone all year. They said that they were waiving the fee because of the economy.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:56 pm

heck yeah, apply wherever you want that gives you a fee waiver, I am. what do you have to lose? You might get a serendipitous match you never considered prior to the invite. stranger things have happened. keep in mind that many schools offer this as inticement for the sake of their own numbers game ( apps no.s v. accpts. no.s), and the invite doesn't mean they love you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”