Need Help Deciding Whether To Change A Class To Pass/Fail!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pierce_and_pierce

Need Help Deciding Whether To Change A Class To Pass/Fail!

Postby pierce_and_pierce » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:18 pm

So basically, I haven't been feeling well, and as a result, I did pretty badly on my recent midterm (65%). I've done well on all the other assignments and everything in that class, but I'm worried that this midterm will drop my grade from an A- to a B-/C+. In order to preserve my GPA, I'm debating changing this class to pass/fail, especially since I have a couple other classes that might not go as well this term. The problem is, I've already changed 2 classes to P/F, withdrawn from 1 class, and taken 1 pass/fail class (by that I mean the grading was p/f by default), so I'm worried that this may look bad to law schools if I change another one to P/F. What would you do in my situation?

Also, this is economics, which I'm thinking about minoring in, so would changing a class that's a minor to P/F not even be allowed? If this is true, what am I going to do, because I can't afford a B- or anything like that?

EDIT: I'm also a sophomore, which is why I ask since changing so many classes to P/F would probably look bad since its so soon.

pierce_and_pierce

Re: Need Help Deciding Whether To Change A Class To Pass/Fail!

Postby pierce_and_pierce » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:05 pm

come on guys, I really need your help! Someone please give me their opinion!

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:27 pm

a pass/fail looks better than a C

booboo

Postby booboo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:33 pm

I think even without the current situation of whether or not to P/F, you may still need to add an addendum to your application. Two optional P/F classes and a withdrawn are three separate incidences within a small (assuming 2 year) time period. If you have four incidents, then I would definitely consider adding an addendum. However, I (we) do not know the situation(s) regarding these decisions, so as long as you can justify it, and hopefully avoid it for your remaining undergraduate years, I think you should be fine. The number that matters at the end of the day is the total undergraduate GPA accumulated prior to the reception of your first bachelor's degree.

Good luck!

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:35 pm

$1.99 wrote:a pass/fail looks better than a C

And a D is better than a fail (I'm pretty sure one needs to get at least a C- to pass). It all depends on how well you think you'll end up doing.

pierce_and_pierce

Postby pierce_and_pierce » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:51 pm

booboo wrote:I think even without the current situation of whether or not to P/F, you may still need to add an addendum to your application. Two optional P/F classes and a withdrawn are three separate incidences within a small (assuming 2 year) time period. If you have four incidents, then I would definitely consider adding an addendum. However, I (we) do not know the situation(s) regarding these decisions, so as long as you can justify it, and hopefully avoid it for your remaining undergraduate years, I think you should be fine. The number that matters at the end of the day is the total undergraduate GPA accumulated prior to the reception of your first bachelor's degree.

Good luck!

well the problem is that I've only been pass/failing because I don't like the professor (2instances) or because I blew a midterm (potentially 2 instances depending on what I do here). If it helps, the class I withdrew from, I retook later and got an A- in it, but I have no clue what to do and I'm really worried. It really sucks because I've been dedicating my whole college so far to getting good grades, but yet, I have so many of these instances that this might destroy any shot at HYSC.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:57 pm

I think the clear answer here is to take the class pass/fail, assuming you will be able to pass (from reading your post I think you should be able pass). I think Adcoms don't really care about P/F even nearly as much as they care about UGPA and this will probably bring your GPA down significantly if you don't P/F. With that said, you don't want to accumulate an unnecessary amount of P/F. Perhaps you should talk to your professor about making your final count in place of your midterm if you truly believe you can do well on your final and that your midterm was not at all reflective of your grade or perhaps your prof will suggest a way to make up your grade.

But again, I wouldn't worry too much about this. Take the P/F if you think your expected grade will hurt your GPA, don't take it P/F if you think otherwise. Try hard not to get any more P/Fs.

pierce_and_pierce

Postby pierce_and_pierce » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:26 pm

GMVarun wrote:I think the clear answer here is to take the class pass/fail, assuming you will be able to pass (from reading your post I think you should be able pass). I think Adcoms don't really care about P/F even nearly as much as they care about UGPA and this will probably bring your GPA down significantly if you don't P/F. With that said, you don't want to accumulate an unnecessary amount of P/F. Perhaps you should talk to your professor about making your final count in place of your midterm if you truly believe you can do well on your final and that your midterm was not at all reflective of your grade or perhaps your prof will suggest a way to make up your grade.

But again, I wouldn't worry too much about this. Take the P/F if you think your expected grade will hurt your GPA, don't take it P/F if you think otherwise. Try hard not to get any more P/Fs.

LOL no way am I failing a class, esp if I take it pass/fail. But man, this is really stressing me out and has really ruined my day. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and P/F it. I'm going to talk to my teacher to see if there's still a chance to get an A/A-, but I highly doubt it at this point. But if all my other class grades are good (the lowest grades I have are 1 B and 1 B+ with all the rest being As or A-s), and I no longer P/F any classes, will that be OK? I have 2 and 1/3 years to not pass/fail classes or challenge myself, so is that enough time to turn my app around?

pierce_and_pierce

Postby pierce_and_pierce » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Well, it looks like I can't P/F the class since its part of my minor, so now what the hell am I going to do? Is it still possible to get a 3.6+ even if I get a horrible grade (like a C) in this class? My god, I've never been this stressed out in my life! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:23 pm

It's still possible, you have a total of 120 hours of undergrad... if you get straight A's and 1 C, it puts you at 3.91667

So figure out what your GPA is, how many hours you have left and then do the math.

HTH

lebob

Postby lebob » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:30 pm

C's really kill GPAs

a pass looks waaay better than anything below an A or B. but since you can't, try and salvage it the best you can. avoid the C if at all possible.

it depends on your total units/what year you are, but yea you can get a 3.6+ easily.

i got a C freshman year, and it took me the rest of my college career (most A's but a good number of B's) to pull it up to the 3.7 plateau. i did it with a sprinkling of B's, if you get straight A's this should be no problem at all.

EzraStiles

Postby EzraStiles » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Let me get this straight, in your first year and a half of college, you've blown 2 midterms and had issues with professors that caused you to P/F your classes? I'm going to be nice and not say what I think this means of your abilities, but these are problems that most HYS applicants don't have more than once in 4 years, so this reflects pretty badly on your chances unless you turn your boat around now.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Considering adcoms spend ~5-10 minutes/application I really, really, really doubt anyone will look at your specific classes and the grades you got in each one. They will see the LSAC report and look at your GPA. My $.02.

pierce_and_pierce

Postby pierce_and_pierce » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Well the average for the class just came in, and supposedly, despite getting a 45/70, I still did better than the average (around 42) and even the median (around 44). I've also heard that upper division courses tend to have higher average GPAs than intro courses, so can anyone confirm this? It looks like I may have a shot of at least making a B after all.

pierce_and_pierce

Postby pierce_and_pierce » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:54 pm

And now, my final grade has come in for the class and I got an A lol. I'm not sure how long I can keep up getting a 4.0 or 3.7+ though, so does anyone know what GPA/LSAT I'd need to have a shot at schools with good placement into BigLaw?

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:17 pm

pierce_and_pierce wrote:And now, my final grade has come in for the class and I got an A lol. I'm not sure how long I can keep up getting a 4.0 or 3.7+ though, so does anyone know what GPA/LSAT I'd need to have a shot at schools with good placement into BigLaw?

If you keep taking Econ classes I'm sure you can keep getting A's unless you are retarded.

However based on your posts things are not looking very good.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”