Notes on acceptance letter Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
softey

New

Notes on acceptance letter

Post by softey » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:38 pm

I am deciding between a few places, one of which wrote me a note on an acceptance letter--something I thought was really a nice touch.

Is getting a small, handwritten note about a personal statement on an acceptance letter something that school are known to do for every accepted student? Or is it usually less common?

newyorker88

Silver

Re: Notes on acceptance letter

Post by newyorker88 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:39 pm

softey wrote:I am deciding between a few places, one of which wrote me a note on an acceptance letter--something I thought was really a nice touch.
Hofstra?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:49 pm

softey wrote:I am deciding between a few places, one of which wrote me a note on an acceptance letter--something I thought was really a nice touch.

Is getting a small, handwritten note about a personal statement on an acceptance letter something that school are known to do for every accepted student? Or is it usually less common?
They do it to everyone.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:37 am

I'm pretty sure they do it for everyone at BU. It's probably just some admissions assistant, no one special, writing it.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:12 am

Iowa does it for everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

antler

New

Post by antler » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:39 am

I got a nice handwritten note from IU-B, and I seem to recall others saying that they'd received handwritten notes from them as well...I think it's something that certain schools do.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:40 am

antler wrote:I got a nice handwritten note from IU-B, and I seem to recall others saying that they'd received handwritten notes from them as well...I think it's something that certain schools do.
What, you mean my handwritten IU-B note didn't mean I was a special snowflake? :cry: :cry: :cry:

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
antler wrote:I got a nice handwritten note from IU-B, and I seem to recall others saying that they'd received handwritten notes from them as well...I think it's something that certain schools do.
What, you mean my handwritten IU-B note didn't mean I was a special snowflake? :cry: :cry: :cry:

I got a note from IU-B and it was 15% legible writing and 85% scribble. I still have no idea what it says.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Although I'd say most schools don't add handwritten notes to acceptances letters or add them to very few letters, there are some schools that add a handwritten note to every acceptance letter. Posters above me have mentioned that Hofstra, BU, Iowa, and IU-B are schools that (apparently) add handwritten notes to all acceptance letters. I'll add Georgetown to that list.

The short answer is there's a good chance the school in question adds a personal touch to all acceptance letters, but it's also entirely possible that it does not and that your note indicates the school was particularly impressed by your application. Without knowing the school in question, no one can honestly tell you whether your note is unusual or not.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:04 pm

Being that most of us are 'quick-to-point-out-something-stupid assholes' on here, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this - you shouldn't be deciding what school to go to based on whether or not they wrote something personal on your acceptance letter!

Like others have said, some schools do this for EVERYONE, others perhaps only do it for some admitted students. Right off the bat you don't even know for sure if this even means anything special. Even if it DOES, I don't see how it is a big deal. It is a nice touch, and maybe speaks to how well the faculty communicates with students or the level of personal attention they give everyone. While that may be important, it is one person who wrote one little thing on your acceptance letter - you can't really draw any solid conclusions about the entire faculty and staff from this one experience.

Enjoy the sentiment, but don't read too much into it. Congrats on the acceptance (wherever it may be to).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”