"Useful" majors Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sprezzatura

New

"Useful" majors

Post by sprezzatura » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:05 am

Some majors, like the English one I'm currently pursuing, are useless outside of getting me into law school.
What are some more useful ones? (Engineering, pre-med, things like that?)

scionb4

Silver

Re: "Useful" majors

Post by scionb4 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:13 am

It's all about majoring in Latin. That'll take you places.

eudaimondaimon

New

Post by eudaimondaimon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:16 am

scionb4 wrote:It's all about majoring in Latin. That'll take you places.
Bwahahaha. Classics major here. So Latin AND Ancient Greek.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:17 am

sprezzatura wrote:Some majors, like the English one I'm currently pursuing, are useless outside of getting me into law school.
What are some more useful ones? (Engineering, pre-med, things like that?)
A major is what you make of it. I'm an engineer, but I have failed at acquiring a summer internship in biotech for two years in a row. Meanwhile, some my English and Mass Communication friends have landed prestigious consulting jobs.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:17 am

Pretty sure pre-med is useless other than for getting into a Med School, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:18 am

eudaimondaimon wrote:Bwahahaha. Classics major here. So Latin AND Ancient Greek.
Me too! :D

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:21 am

Psychology teaches you the fine art of conjecture

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:23 am

Accounting & Finance majors seemed to have an easier time finding jobs straight out of undergrad.

eudaimondaimon

New

Post by eudaimondaimon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:26 am

vespertiliovir wrote:
eudaimondaimon wrote:Bwahahaha. Classics major here. So Latin AND Ancient Greek.
Haha. I went to UF so I had a "wait, do I know you?" moment when I saw your avatar. It took me a second to realize that it's making fun of that blubbering idiot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 am

eudaimondaimon wrote:
vespertiliovir wrote:
Haha. I went to UF so I had a "wait, do I know you?" moment when I saw your avatar. It took me a second to realize that it's making fun of that blubbering idiot.
Hahaha sorry, no gator here :)

sudoku

New

Post by sudoku » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:46 am

Philosophy tied for <a href="http://taxprof.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341 ... wi">second place</a>. This is a pretty neat little list.

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:48 am

TipTravHoot wrote:Pretty sure pre-med is useless other than for getting into a Med School, no?
It's also useful for other graduate degrees (e.g. MPH, PhD, PharmD, PA, etc.), but without an accompanying grad degree it is pretty useless. You'd be lucky to crack $40k with just a B.S.

If you want a decent job with just a bachelors, I'd recommend engineering or computer science.

eudaimondaimon

New

Post by eudaimondaimon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:55 am

sudoku wrote:Philosophy tied for <a href="http://taxprof.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341 ... wi">second place</a>. This is a pretty neat little list.
I love that every time I see one of those lists "Criminal Justice" sits right at the very bottom.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sudoku

New

Post by sudoku » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:59 am

UFMatt wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:Pretty sure pre-med is useless other than for getting into a Med School, no?
It's also useful for other graduate degrees (e.g. MPH, PhD, PharmD, PA, etc.), but without an accompanying grad degree it is pretty useless. You'd be lucky to crack $40k with just a B.S.

If you want a decent job with just a bachelors, I'd recommend engineering or computer science.

Computer science is, IMHO, a moderately worthless degree. I work at a successful internet company (fail to disclose for admissions purposes), and only two developers out of maybe twenty scored computer science degrees--and they landed mere junior development positions. The senior developers majored in math, education, philosophy, etc--anyone can learn to program. Not everyone can apply the logic behind the programming necessary to succeed in the industry, hence the success of the math and philosophy majors.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:10 am

Social Work is pretty useful. Accounting/Finance/Econ isn't bad.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:12 am

Accounting. Great job security and now you are more versed at reading financial statements.

Finance. Introduces you to basic financial concepts like time value of money which can be quite useful in the outside world.

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:15 am

sudoku wrote:
UFMatt wrote: If you want a decent job with just a bachelors, I'd recommend engineering or computer science.
Computer science is, IMHO, a moderately worthless degree. I work at a successful internet company (fail to disclose for admissions purposes), and only two developers out of maybe twenty scored computer science degrees--and they landed mere junior development positions. The senior developers majored in math, education, philosophy, etc--anyone can learn to program. Not everyone can apply the logic behind the programming necessary to succeed in the industry, hence the success of the math and philosophy majors.
I largely based my comment on the immense number of IT positions offered at the government job site (USAJobs). They seemed to pay quite well and were available pretty much everywhere. I assumed they required computer science degrees, but perhaps I was mistaken.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:17 am

ECONOMICS. Go to M.I.T. or the University of Chicago and study economics. It is a life changing major and it really enhances the way you see the world. Also, economics is intimately infused with the law. I'm utterly surprised it has taken so long for the Law and Economics area to blossom.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

UFMatt wrote:
sudoku wrote:
UFMatt wrote: If you want a decent job with just a bachelors, I'd recommend engineering or computer science.
I largely based my comment on the immense number of IT positions offered at the government job site (USAJobs). They seemed to pay quite well and were available pretty much everywhere. I assumed they required computer science degrees, but perhaps I was mistaken.
Computer science is pretty useless because there are tons of EECS (electrical engineering computer science) majors who are more qualified for the jobs CS majors target.

ApexChaser

Bronze

Post by ApexChaser » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:29 am

I've heard Music Therapy is going to explode like Nursing programs. Plus, you go to "Hot Hot Hot" for the degree.

Iuvo

New

Post by Iuvo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:43 am

Medieval Art. Or Art. Anything that ends with "Art" or "Arts".

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:25 am

Dentistry is TCR

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:40 am

Should've gone to vocation school and learned how to do a real job.

BLi

New

Post by BLi » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 am

sprezzatura wrote:Some majors, like the English one I'm currently pursuing, are useless outside of getting me into law school.
blatant anti-Starbucks trolling.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:16 am

Last edited by MC Southstar on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”