Help! Washington & Lee $$$ vs. Cornell Sticker Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cpboy77

New

Help! Washington & Lee $$$ vs. Cornell Sticker

Post by cpboy77 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Maybe it's a dumb question, but, given the choice between a 2/3rds scholarship at Washington & Lee vs. sticker price at Cornell, what choice would you make?

Bronze

Re: Help! Washington & Lee $$$ vs. Cornell Sticker

Post by 342848386278 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:09 pm

I'd think it depends a lot on where you want to practice.

cpboy77

New

Post by cpboy77 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:12 pm

342848386278 wrote:I'd think it depends a lot on where you want to practice.
Thanks, I probably should have specified that. Probably the DC/Balt area. The only other option would be NYC.

eaters333

New

Post by eaters333 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Cornell

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:14 pm

Do you want BigLaw? If so, Cornell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:24 pm

I'd take Cornell with $200k loans over W&L with $100k loans.

Bronze

Post by 342848386278 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:34 pm

im_blue wrote:I'd take Cornell with $200k loans over W&L with $100k loans.
+1, especially if practicing in NY is a possibility.

legalfingerscrossed

New

Post by legalfingerscrossed » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:36 am

I know it's easy to get carried away with rankings (especially on this site), but I think it would be a mistake to ignore 2/3 scholarship. This is the difference between spending $40,000 versus $120,000 on law school.

W&L is a good school, though not a T14. If you want to practice in the Balt/D.C. area, try this: Go to the Web sites of several firms where you think you might want to work. Most will let you look up lawyers by the school they attended. Plug in W&L and see what you get.

Also, if W&L is giving you money, they must think you are a very strong candidate. I think being on the law review and in the top of your class would make you a strong candidate for all kinds of jobs.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:44 am

legalfingerscrossed wrote:Also, if W&L is giving you money, they must think you are a very strong candidate. I think being on the law review and in the top of your class would make you a strong candidate for all kinds of jobs.
Going to law school expecting to/planning to/relying on being top of your class is a recipe for disaster.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:46 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
legalfingerscrossed wrote:Also, if W&L is giving you money, they must think you are a very strong candidate. I think being on the law review and in the top of your class would make you a strong candidate for all kinds of jobs.
Going to law school expecting to/planning to/relying on being top of your class is a recipe for disaster.
This

OP, is there a grade req. on that W&L scholarship?

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:51 am

Have you gotten into Cornell or is this a hypo? I would think if you had the numbers to get into Cornell you would get a full ride at W&L. I got nearly a full ride at W&L but was rejected at Cornell is why I say that.

With that said I would probably go to Cornell. That is not saying W&L is not a great school, it's reputation just isn't on par with Cornell's.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:53 am

kittenmittons wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:
This

I think it's 3.0, but W&L has a high curve (3.335). Somewhere I read over 80% of people maintain their scholarship for all three years at W&L.

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:06 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:
This

I think it's 3.0, but W&L has a high curve (3.335). Somewhere I read over 80% of people maintain their scholarship for all three years at W&L.
I believe that it is 80% of people maintain at least a 3.0 (you have to consider that some of these 20% that don't may not have received scholarships).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cpboy77

New

Post by cpboy77 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I think that the issue in essence is whether or not Cornell is worth the substantially greater debt I would incur for the leap into T14-dom. I'd say with all thing considered at W & L, my debt after graduation would be $40k to $50k. At Cornell, I think the figure would be $120k to $150k.

If anyone else still wants to chime in, my interests are in international law and policy, although I am aware that that is extremely vague. So is the $80,000 to $100,000 in increased debt worth the jump up to Cornell?

To whoever asked, the scholly requirement is a 3.0.

And to whoever commented about the Cornell aspect being hypothetical, you're spot on. I'm just assuming that if I get in to Cornell, it'd be a sticker price. But I haven't gotten into Cornell yet (maybe I won't).

Thanks again for all of the help and I'd appreciate any more.

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Cornell, especially for international law and policy

liberty

New

Post by liberty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:21 am

Don't go to corny Corney. It's screaming to the World I couldn't get into the better Ivy League institutions so I went to the school of Alan Keyes.

Volo

New

Post by Volo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:34 pm

haha, Cornell, easy choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:35 pm

cpboy77 wrote:Thanks for all of the input everyone. I think that the issue in essence is whether or not Cornell is worth the substantially greater debt I would incur for the leap into T14-dom. I'd say with all thing considered at W & L, my debt after graduation would be $40k to $50k. At Cornell, I think the figure would be $120k to $150k.

If anyone else still wants to chime in, my interests are in international law and policy, although I am aware that that is extremely vague. So is the $80,000 to $100,000 in increased debt worth the jump up to Cornell?

And to whoever commented about the Cornell aspect being hypothetical, you're spot on. I'm just assuming that if I get in to Cornell, it'd be a sticker price. But I haven't gotten into Cornell yet (maybe I won't).

Cornell's tuition is something like $48k per year - you'd be closer to 200k in debt, I think.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:37 pm

wakefield wrote:
cpboy77 wrote:Thanks for all of the input everyone. I think that the issue in essence is whether or not Cornell is worth the substantially greater debt I would incur for the leap into T14-dom. I'd say with all thing considered at W & L, my debt after graduation would be $40k to $50k. At Cornell, I think the figure would be $120k to $150k.

Cornell's tuition is something like $48k per year - you'd be closer to 200k in debt, I think.
Yeah, but it's Canadian money :) j/k

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:44 pm

crm wrote:Cornell, especially for international law and policy
What?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”