All these talk of prestige... this would suck Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SandyC877

Bronze

All these talk of prestige... this would suck

Post by SandyC877 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:39 pm

I know a guy who knows a guy. That guy totally kicked ass in UG years and exceed everyone's expectations in getting into HYS law on full ride. Got a big law job upon graduation. On his way to his grand, luxurious office, he slipped on water spill and died of injury to the head.

To me this sounds totally plausible, and in weird ways, comforting knowing how little we have control over our lives. In light of all our acceptances coming in this month, let's try to be more real and humble about the opportunities given to us. That's all. Have a nice day.
Last edited by SandyC877 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crm

Bronze

Re: All these talk of prestige... this would suck

Post by crm » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:40 pm

SandyC877 wrote:I know a guy who knows a guy. That guy totally kicked ass in UG years and exceed everyone's expectations in getting into HYS law on full ride. Got a big law job upon graduation. On his way to his grand, luxurious office, he slipped on water spill and died of injury to the head.

To me this sounds totally plausible, and in weird ways, comforting knowing how little we have control over our lives. In light of all our acceptances coming in this month, let's try to be more real and humble about the opportunities given to us. That's all. Have a nice day.
+1

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for an uplifting end to my work week.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:41 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:43 pm

didn't know YSH gave out full rides
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 pm

Borhas wrote:didn't know YSH gave out full rides
RANCID S trolling

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:45 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
RANCID S trolling
dont know much about SLS, full merit rides?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:45 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
RANCID S trolling
ok ok, I'll be more real

I didn't know SYH gave out full rides

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Borhas wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
RANCID S trolling
ok ok, I'll be more real

I didn't know SYH gave out full rides
seton yeshiva hofstra? full rides all the time

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:47 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
RANCID S trolling
dont know much about SLS, full merit rides?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Suffolk does

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:47 pm

SandyC877 wrote:I know a guy who knows a guy. That guy totally kicked ass in UG years and exceed everyone's expectations in getting into HYS law on full ride. Got a big law job upon graduation. On his way to his grand, luxurious office, he slipped on water spill and died of injury to the head.

wait, no way he had a grand luxuious office his first yr in biglaw...unless you meant the cool office building; lol pretty sure what first yrs get cant be described w/ the words grand or luxuious

and yeah, do HYS give out merit full rides?

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:50 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

wait, no way he had a grand luxuious office his first yr in biglaw...unless you meant the cool office building; lol pretty sure what first yrs get cant be described w/ the words grand or luxuious

duhh I asked the guy who knows a guy.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:55 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

PHANTASMAGORIC H trolling

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:57 pm

SandyC877 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

duhh I asked the guy who knows a guy.
no wait, ive heard of this guy and his story before. you dont have the whole picture. i asked a guy who knows a guy who was roommates with the gal whose brother was the guy at the scene where the incident happened. the guy didnt die of an injury to the head; i mean, it was touch and go for a moment, but the doctors were able to patch him up.

but to make this already quite plausible scenario sound even more...for lack of a better word...plausible, in an ironic twist of fate, the biglaw HYS guy forgot everything he learned in law school! (arguable whether any of it would have really helped him in biglaw anyways)...yet he unlocked the math part of his brain and has become a math professor over at MIT (i think he got the job about 2 months ago).

so yeah, we definitely dont have much control over our lives. the moral of the story? as we get acceptances and rejections throughout the next few months, keep in mind that as one door closes, another one may open ;). That's all. Have a nice day.

pattymac

Bronze

Post by pattymac » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 pm

My cousin works as a physiotherapist and specifically helps with quadriplegics. Most of them became disabled through household accidents...one of them tripped over something on the stairs and fell and became paralyzed. Scary stuff.

A friend of mine deferred law at our UG b/c they wouldnt' give him a full ride (he was like .05 GP away from it), so he opted to do do a MA instead. He was playing hockey the summer after his first year, got a high stick in the neck, didn't think anything of it but it ended up causing him to have a massive aneurysm in his brain and have a stroke. Now he can't move the left side of his body, can't see out of his left eye, walks with a cane and can't go to school. Plain awful.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 pm

that is funny, my application cycle has been only doors slamming shut in front of my face haha

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Crazy asians

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:14 pm

yes
Last edited by SandyC877 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ethan Edwards

New

Post by Ethan Edwards » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:16 pm

There was a guy that after finishing a phd in Chem at Chicago got shot and killed.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Meh, people die all the time. I'm over it.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:23 pm

so this is the new USS Optimism thread right?

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:25 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:so this is the new USS Optimism thread right?
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”