Rarely talked about schools on TLS...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kittenmittons

Re: Rarely talked about schools on TLS...

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:55 pm

danquayle wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:[strike]In a dual effort to establish a more complete library of info relating to schools as well as expose a few "sleepers" in the accredited LS mix, I introduce this thread.

This is for chatting about those schools which no one seems to chat about here.....

Surely there's some good ones out there that don't get the TLS press coverage they deserve.... maybe there's a few T3's (or, gasp, TTTT's) that someone had a friend or family member who had gone there and they have great information on. Maybe you grew up around XXX school that's a T3 but enjoys a remarkable level of prestige and placement in a 30 square mile radius of wherever, USA. Believe it or not, this kind of stuff appeals to some people.

I'll start: Valparaiso U. Yes, a T-4, but it's about an hour out of Chicago and has some pretty impressive faculty. As an aside, G-dubya Bush spoke at the school's anniversay a few years ago. They were once called, "the poor man's harvard," but not sure if that's a relatively good or bad thing. In any case, I've had a few friends go to this school (as well as some of their parents) and they're all doing remarkably well. It seems to place well in NWI region as well as Chicago. Who else has some hidden gems to speak of[/strike]?

/thread

God you are so lame.

[strike]D. H2Oman[/strike]

/life

--ImageRemoved--

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:56 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:I'll start: Valparaiso U. Yes, a T-4, but it's about an hour out of Chicago and has some pretty impressive faculty. As an aside, G-dubya Bush spoke at the school's anniversay a few years ago. They were once called, "the poor man's harvard," but not sure if that's a relatively good or bad thing. In any case, I've had a few friends go to this school (as well as some of their parents) and they're all doing remarkably well. It seems to place well in NWI region as well as Chicago. Who else has some hidden gems to speak of?

Is this really a thread discussing the merits of Valaparaiso (i probably spelled that wrong, but who cares, its Valpo) and the demerits of Yale?

Yeah, that's what's up. You have a problem with that? Is that too much cognitive dissonance or something?

Question for OP, if given the choice between Yale and a full-ride at Valpo are you going to the "academic" school or the TTTT?

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:57 pm

cdd_04 wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:I'll start: Valparaiso U. Yes, a T-4, but it's about an hour out of Chicago and has some pretty impressive faculty. As an aside, G-dubya Bush spoke at the school's anniversay a few years ago. They were once called, "the poor man's harvard," but not sure if that's a relatively good or bad thing. In any case, I've had a few friends go to this school (as well as some of their parents) and they're all doing remarkably well. It seems to place well in NWI region as well as Chicago. Who else has some hidden gems to speak of?

Is this really a thread discussing the merits of Valaparaiso (i probably spelled that wrong, but who cares, its Valpo) and the demerits of Yale?

Yeah, that's what's up. You have a problem with that? Is that too much cognitive dissonance or something?

You must have been a Psychology major. Why would that create cognitive dissonance? (Psychology and Biology minor here :D)

Because of the contradictory ideas involved, obviously. ;) We're all supposed to think Yale is the supreme beacon of legal ideas and thought while any lower ranked school (many of which have yale faculty - valpo included - look it up) shouldn't be discussed on account of it's merits. To answer your question... not psych major, just a fan of many disciplines.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:

Question for OP, if given the choice between Yale and a full-ride at Valpo are you going to the "academic" school or the TTTT?

Neither... because if my theoretical stats allowed for even a 1/2 scholarship to Michigan, I'd probably take that over paying sticker at Yale. I'm debt-averse and think Yale is overrated.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:02 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:You know what else was around a long time that people thought would never change? Slavery. I mean, prestigious land owners wanted cheap, exploitable labor. Wait, the more I think about it, slavery still exists. Point-formulation-fail on my part. :(

What I was hoping to inspire with this thread was an anti-ranking, egalitarian, discussion of quality schools in small to medium markets. That's tough to do....

Wait a minute, I've seen this kind of language before . . . (LinkRemoved)
The English nobility and the Indian caste system represent outdated notions of entitlement and reflect the evils of cultural discrimination. Indeed, Americans overthrew their former government largely because of the abuses of the self-perpetuating nobility that reserved for itself the privileges of participation in the English political and social systems. And Americans have replaced the caste system with equal protection under law. Americans inherently reject elitism and discrimination in favor of opportunity.

Except in education, where elitism still dominates.

Law schools allow themselves to be victimized by a pecking order based on elitism, which values scholarship over teaching, legal theory over practice preparation, faculty prerogatives over student services, and exclusion over access. How many law review articles are published in elite law reviews is more important to the faculty than how many students they help to learn the law and how many good lawyers they produce. Protecting faculty governance, academic freedom, and tenure is more important than working with student groups, assisting students with problems, and providing community service. And how many students are not admitted is more important than how well those who are admitted are taught the law and how to practice it.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:02 pm

Dear Brozo the Clown,

Stop coming up with creative rationalizations about why your TTT LSAT is really okay, and study for it and apply next cycle.

KTHANXBAI

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:03 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:Question for OP, if given the choice between Yale and a full-ride at Valpo are you going to the "academic" school or the TTTT?

Neither... because if my theoretical stats allowed for even a 1/2 scholarship to Michigan, I'd probably take that over paying sticker at Yale. I'm debt-averse and think Yale is overrated.

That wasn't the question.

Yale or full-ride at Valpo?

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Because of the contradictory ideas involved, obviously. ;) We're all supposed to think Yale is the supreme beacon of legal ideas and thought while any lower ranked school (many of which have yale faculty - valpo included - look it up) shouldn't be discussed on account of it's merits. To answer your question... not psych major, just a fan of many disciplines.

I see where you were going with that. Although, one can easily think Yale is not all the great and Valpo great (lol) and not really be in dissonance; because one may have different beliefs on what makes a great school. I'm not arguing for or against Valpo, I think the value of a legal education depends on what you put into it, and the USNWR are almost as subjective as law school applicants soft factors.

Blatant nowhere near good enough scores to get into a T14 trolling :D

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:05 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:Yale or full-ride at Valpo?

Who in their right mind would be able to turn down a full-ride at Valpo for Yale full price? What kind of question is that? lol

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Nightrunner wrote:

I disagree with the question.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:06 pm

top 14 students who bash lower schools = BCS conference fans bashing TCU and Utah

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Waiting...

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:11 pm

usuaggie wrote:top 14 students who bash lower schools = BCS conference fans bashing TCU and Utah

This analogy is awful. A better analogy would be Texas or USC fans bashing Central Michigan. There's no real need for it, and it's kind of a weak move to do unprovoked. But if a Central Mich fan makes the claim that they are better, a response will clearly materialize.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:13 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
usuaggie wrote:top 14 students who bash lower schools = BCS conference fans bashing TCU and Utah

This analogy is awful. A better analogy would be Texas or USC fans bashing Central Michigan. There's no real need for it, and it's kind of a weak move to do unprovoked. But if a Central Mich fan makes the claim that they are better, a response will clearly materialize.

that's basically what i meant. yeah i realize i go to a school with a football team that loses every single game, but im not saying we are better than you so just let me be haha

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

[strike]I disagree with the question[/strike] Answering that question honestly would render everything I'm trying to do ITT meaningless.

This is as far as I'd go..... I'd have a HARD time picking sticker Yale over a full ride at IUB or Notre Dame, both of which are ranked on the dark side of the moon (20+) relative to T-14 whore standards. In fact, I'm sure I'd take ND free.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:21 pm

usuaggie wrote:
that's basically what i meant. yeah i realize i go to a school with a football team that loses every single game, but im not saying we are better than you so just let me be haha

I get what you are saying and I think your TCU-Utah analogy fits if we are comparing individuals from each school. The average Chicago grad is going to be more talented than the average Depaul grad without a doubt, but there will be some Depaul grads that will be better attorneys than some Chicago grads.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:22 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:This is as far as I'd go..... I'd have a HARD time picking sticker Yale over a full ride at IUB or Notre Dame, both of which are ranked on the dark side of the moon (20+) relative to T-14 whore standards. In fact, I'm sure I'd take ND free.

lol.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:22 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
This is as far as I'd go..... I'd have a HARD time picking sticker Yale over a full ride at IUB or Notre Dame, both of which are ranked on the dark side of the moon (20+) relative to T-14 whore standards. In fact, I'm sure I'd take ND free.

Good to know, now you have officially invalidated every opinion you will ever have

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:23 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

I get what you are saying and I think your TCU-Utah analogy fits if we are comparing individuals from each school. The average Chicago grad is going to be more talented than the average Depaul grad without a doubt, but there will be some Depaul grads that will be better attorneys than some Chicago grads.

Peter Francis Geraci = DePaul Grad. He's a veritable mogul of BK infotapes and probably makes several million/year. ;)

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:23 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:This is as far as I'd go..... I'd have a HARD time picking sticker Yale over a full ride at IUB or Notre Dame, both of which are ranked on the dark side of the moon (20+) relative to T-14 whore standards. In fact, I'm sure I'd take ND free.

Everyone can do what they want, but by most normal interpretations of risk management vs. opportunity this would be considered an extremely poor decision, especially ITE.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:24 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:

Good to know, now you have officially invalidated every opinion you will ever have

Enjoy your 200k debt then. Here's what people fail to consider.... I want to have an extremely fun 30's and 40's. I'm sure your Yale JD + whatever debt you had to incur to get it will EVENTUALLY pay off, but you might be struggling with student loan payments precisely at the time when someone who chose a debt-free route wouldn't be.

The Yale grad may retire and die with more money..... but the ND grad might have more fun with his wife and kids during his 30's and 40's which is the time that really matters, in my opinion. Student loan payments on a few hundred grand aren't going to be fun. You'll see. (this was all figurative example)
Last edited by reasonabledoubt on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:25 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

Peter Francis Geraci = DePaul Grad. He's a veritable mogul of BK infotapes and probably makes several million/year. ;)

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:27 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:27 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:Enjoy your 200k debt then.

Dude, seriously, what industry do you work in? Do you even understand things like ROI?

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:28 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:Enjoy your 200k debt then.

Dude, seriously, what industry do you work in? Do you even understand things like ROI?

Do you understand the value of TIME? I'm in finance which is why I understand the value of the latter as much as anyone.
Last edited by reasonabledoubt on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”