Rarely talked about schools on TLS...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NayBoer

Re: Rarely talked about schools on TLS...

Postby NayBoer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:08 pm

booboo wrote:This thread makes me want to put three T's into every school not Yale.
YLS is a myth. Have you ever met somebody who went there? No.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:11 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Anyone who can't get a 170 on their LSAT is borderline unemployable.

I resent that! :cry: Why must I be such a FAILURE in life? Wait, I can get a 170, I just didn't :D

[strike]No, you can't[/strike] I graduated with a 2.8, and my only option of getting into law school was to study my butt off for the LSAT :D .

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:13 pm

cdd_04 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Anyone who can't get a 170 on their LSAT is borderline unemployable.

I resent that! :cry: Why must I be such a FAILURE in life? Wait, I can get a 170, I just didn't :D

[strike]No, you can't[/strike] I graduated with a 2.8, and my only option of getting into law school was to study my butt off for the LSAT :D .

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:16 pm

NayBoer wrote:
booboo wrote:This thread makes me want to put three T's into every school not Yale.

I have, it does exist. They're out of touch with reality though. I've also listened to dozens of lectures by YLS faculty found on Itunes. I also check out the Yale Law Journal (http://www.yalelawjournal.org/) and after these investigations, I can confidently conclude that YLS ideas might have a certain "academic" quality (re: pretension) but it's always 20/20 hindsight/too-little-too-late type analysis of legal issues and externalities in the world. I think the stick up their buttocks is a huge disadvantage.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
I have, it does exist. They're out of touch with reality though. I've also listened to dozens of lectures by YLS faculty found on Itunes. I also check out the Yale Law Journal (http://www.yalelawjournal.org/) and after these investigations, I can confidently conclude that YLS ideas might have a certain "academic" quality (re: pretension) but it's always 20/20 hindsight/too-little-too-late type analysis of legal issues and externalities in the world. I think the stick up their buttocks is a huge disadvantage.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:33 pm

So does reasonable doubt just start these threads as a soapbox for him to rant about nothing in particular?

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:So does reasonable doubt just start these threads as a soapbox for him to rant about nothing in particular?

That's unfair, there's particulars involved. RC fail.

I was hoping to explore and discuss some less-often-discussed but quality schools. Top in TLS doesn't have to refer only to subjective rankings of one magazine, ya know? This site isn't called, "US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT HIGHEST RANKED LAW SCHOOLS."
Last edited by reasonabledoubt on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Not to get all up in everyone's bizznuzz about degrading nomenclature, but TTT stands for "Third Tier Toilet". What does TTTT stand for, Third Tier Toilet's Toilet?

Just use 3T and 4T if you need to abbreviate.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:So does reasonable doubt just start these threads as a soapbox for him to rant about nothing in particular?

Give him a break, his kids don't visit him anymore and Friendly's early bird special doesn't start for another 45 minutes.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Bosque wrote:Not to get all up in everyone's bizznuzz about degrading nomenclature, but TTT stands for "Third Tier Toilet". What does TTTT stand for, Third Tier Toilet's Toilet?

Yes.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:38 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:

I was hoping to explore and discuss some less-often-discussed but quality schools. Top in TLS doesn't have to refer only to subjective rankings of one magazine, ya know?

Hmmm, so discussing lower ranked quality schools involves claiming greater understanding and personal superiority over the Yale Law Review and entire Yale Law educational system? Righhhhttt

reasonabledoubt wrote:.... also check out the Yale Law Journal (http://www.yalelawjournal.org/) and after these investigations, I can confidently conclude that YLS ideas might have a certain "academic" quality (re: pretension) but it's always 20/20 hindsight/too-little-too-late type analysis of legal issues and externalities in the world.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:39 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Bosque wrote:Not to get all up in everyone's bizznuzz about degrading nomenclature, but TTT stands for "Third Tier Toilet". What does TTTT stand for, Third Tier Toilet's Toilet?

Yes.

That just seems silly. There has got be a more creative way of insulting the fourth tier.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:39 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:

I was hoping to explore and discuss some less-often-discussed but quality schools. Top in TLS doesn't have to refer only to subjective rankings of one magazine, ya know? This site isn't called, "US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT HIGHEST RANKED LAW SCHOOLS."

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:44 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

Give him a break, his kids don't visit him anymore and Friendly's early bird special doesn't start for another 45 minutes.

Lol - here waterman is making a reference to my age which is 30. He thinks my balls are old but I think they are youthful and vibrant. He should know.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Bosque wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Yes.

That just seems silly. There has got be a more creative way of insulting the fourth tier.

You can always start calling them Law School Technical Institutes.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:

I was hoping to explore and discuss some less-often-discussed but quality schools. Top in TLS doesn't have to refer only to subjective rankings of one magazine, ya know?

Hmmm, so discussing lower ranked quality schools involves claiming greater understanding and personal superiority over the Yale Law Review and entire Yale Law educational system? Righhhhttt

reasonabledoubt wrote:.... also check out the Yale Law Journal (http://www.yalelawjournal.org/) and after these investigations, I can confidently conclude that YLS ideas might have a certain "academic" quality (re: pretension) but it's always 20/20 hindsight/too-little-too-late type analysis of legal issues and externalities in the world.

You must have been bad at book reports.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:46 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:I'll start: Valparaiso U. Yes, a T-4, but it's about an hour out of Chicago and has some pretty impressive faculty. As an aside, G-dubya Bush spoke at the school's anniversay a few years ago. They were once called, "the poor man's harvard," but not sure if that's a relatively good or bad thing. In any case, I've had a few friends go to this school (as well as some of their parents) and they're all doing remarkably well. It seems to place well in NWI region as well as Chicago. Who else has some hidden gems to speak of?

Is this really a thread discussing the merits of Valaparaiso (i probably spelled that wrong, but who cares, its Valpo) and the demerits of Yale?

osi

Postby osi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:47 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:

Prestigious firms hire students from prestigious schools. You can argue that you can get just as good of an education at so and so law school but in reality it doesn't matter. The smartest people get into the top schools. Odds are the kid at Harvard is smarter than the get at the T3 regardless of if they took the same classes. Also, the companies and people paying for these firms legal services do not want to hire a bunch of "hidden gems" from Phoenix College of law. They want graduates from big name schools. Its just the way things are and its probably never going to change.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:49 pm

osi wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:

Prestigious firms hire students from prestigious schools. You can argue that you can get just as good of an education at so and so law school but in reality it doesn't matter. The smartest people get into the top schools. Odds are the kid at Harvard is smarter than the get at the T3 regardless of if they took the same classes. Also, the companies and people paying for these firms legal services do not want to hire a bunch of "hidden gems" from Phoenix College of law. They want graduates from big name schools. Its just the way things are and its probably never going to change.

I assume by your authoritative assertions that you are a recruiter from Cravath, right?

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:50 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Bosque wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Yes.

Or Law Centers.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:50 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:I'll start: Valparaiso U. Yes, a T-4, but it's about an hour out of Chicago and has some pretty impressive faculty. As an aside, G-dubya Bush spoke at the school's anniversay a few years ago. They were once called, "the poor man's harvard," but not sure if that's a relatively good or bad thing. In any case, I've had a few friends go to this school (as well as some of their parents) and they're all doing remarkably well. It seems to place well in NWI region as well as Chicago. Who else has some hidden gems to speak of?

Is this really a thread discussing the merits of Valaparaiso (i probably spelled that wrong, but who cares, its Valpo) and the demerits of Yale?

Yeah, that's what's up. You have a problem with that? Is that too much cognitive dissonance or something?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:51 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Bosque wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Yes.

I vote for calling them paralegal certificate schools.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 pm

osi wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:

You know what else was around a long time that people thought would never change? Slavery. I mean, prestigious land owners wanted cheap, exploitable labor. Wait, the more I think about it, slavery still exists. Point-formulation-fail on my part. :(

What I was hoping to inspire with this thread was an anti-ranking, egalitarian, discussion of quality schools in small to medium markets. That's tough to do....
Last edited by reasonabledoubt on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:54 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:

Yeah, that's what's up. You have a problem with that? Is that too much cognitive dissonance or something?

You must have been a Psychology major. Why would that create cognitive dissonance? (Psychology and Biology minor here :D)

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:54 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:[strike]In a dual effort to establish a more complete library of info relating to schools as well as expose a few "sleepers" in the accredited LS mix, I introduce this thread.

This is for chatting about those schools which no one seems to chat about here.....

Surely there's some good ones out there that don't get the TLS press coverage they deserve.... maybe there's a few T3's (or, gasp, TTTT's) that someone had a friend or family member who had gone there and they have great information on. Maybe you grew up around XXX school that's a T3 but enjoys a remarkable level of prestige and placement in a 30 square mile radius of wherever, USA. Believe it or not, this kind of stuff appeals to some people.

I'll start: Valparaiso U. Yes, a T-4, but it's about an hour out of Chicago and has some pretty impressive faculty. As an aside, G-dubya Bush spoke at the school's anniversay a few years ago. They were once called, "the poor man's harvard," but not sure if that's a relatively good or bad thing. In any case, I've had a few friends go to this school (as well as some of their parents) and they're all doing remarkably well. It seems to place well in NWI region as well as Chicago. Who else has some hidden gems to speak of[/strike]?

/thread

God you are so lame.

[strike]D. H2Oman[/strike]

/life

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”