Rarely talked about schools on TLS... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: Rarely talked about schools on TLS...

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:51 am

vanwinkle wrote:If he really got PM'd a ban, um, he wouldn't be able to tell us about it because he'd be banned already?
Yeah, I was wondering what the deal was too.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:51 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:If he really got PM'd a ban, um, he wouldn't be able to tell us about it because he'd be banned already?
Maybe it was a warning?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:52 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
PK Sebben does inbox banhammer threats. I got one a while back.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:52 am

Yeah yeah yeah. You were the one sugesting to your buddy YCr a banhammer. He was PMed a warning, smartie.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:51 am

JustDude wrote:
Yeah yeah yeah. You were the one sugesting to your buddy YCr a banhammer. He was PMed a warning, smartie.
And sure enough, that's who delivered the final banhammer threat/warning to my inbox. Thanks for spoiling the fun, Van.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:32 pm

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:02 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
JustDude wrote:
And sure enough, that's who delivered the final banhammer threat/warning to my inbox. Thanks for spoiling the fun, Van.
Regardless of who did it, the fun has definitely been spoiled :(

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:16 pm

Wow, Valpo's tuition is a total of $36,800 including COL you're looking at about 50,000 a year for law school.

That's about 150,000 of debt. The median starting salary for the graduates of Valpo law school is $50,000.

There's a reason why it's not talked about.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:29 pm

nycparalegal wrote:Wow, Valpo's tuition is a total of $36,800 including COL you're looking at about 50,000 a year for law school.

That's about 150,000 of debt. The median starting salary for the graduates of Valpo law school is $50,000.

One word.... RETAAAAAAAINER. One would be FAR more likely to secure considerable scholarship at Valpo vs. a higher ranked T2 such as DePaul or whatever else which also wouldn't provide a conclusively better education or set of options post-grad. Also, Valpo COL would be absurdly cheap and it's still about an hour outside of Chicago for weekend adventures. Lastly, who the hell gives any credence to "median starting salary" figures anymore, especially in this economy where the ACTUAL unemployment stats are probably upwards of 15% despite the 10% estimates. Two words: Debt Averse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:32 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:Wow, Valpo's tuition is a total of $36,800 including COL you're looking at about 50,000 a year for law school.

One word.... RETAAAAAAAINER. One would be FAR more likely to secure considerable scholarship at Valpo vs. a higher ranked T2 such as DePaul or whatever else which also wouldn't provide a conclusively better education or set of options post-grad. Also, Valpo COL would be absurdly cheap and it's still about an hour outside of Chicago for weekend adventures. Lastly, who the hell gives any credence to "median starting salary" figures anymore, especially in this economy where the ACTUAL unemployment stats are probably upwards of 15% despite the 10% estimates. Two words: Debt Averse.
DePaul is just as TTT. I wouldn't go to either.

If you must go TTT go tuition free.

But most TTT students are not on scholarship, and most TTT scholarships are meant to be lost after 1L.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:

DePaul is just as TTT. I wouldn't go to either.

If you must go TTT go tuition free.

But most TTT students are not on scholarship, and most TTT scholarships are meant to be lost after 1L.
These are the types of considerations I had in mind at the start of this thread. Maybe I should have called it: "If you must go TTT, go tuition free." My argument, despite my questions regarding the validity of rankings, is that rather than pay sticker at any 50-100 ranked TT, it might be worth going to a school like Valpo, if you get scholarship.

1. You won't have the stress of the accumilating debt for 3 years and who know how long after. (10-20 years?)
2. You'll be forced to perform well to maintain your scholarship.
3. You'll likely graduate higher up in your class... because I'll be the first to admit, the competition may not be as stiff
4. You'll enjoy more freedom/options after graduation as you won't have a six figure vigorish waiting to be paid.

This whole thread (pre-troll attack) was intended to explore these possible considerations while having an objective look at some hidden schools. I still think it's worth it.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Nightrunner wrote:In the interest of fairness, I remember reading a paper by some Stanford professor, where he detailed the most accurate predictors of salaries to be:

#1: market (NY > LA/DC > Chicago/SF/Atl, etc.)
#2: law school GPA
#3: law school prestige

so it would seem that, in some circumstances for some students, choosing the lower ranked school would not be disadvantageous.

That said, I wouldn't go making it a rule of thumb or anything.
Why am I right so often? Here's the course of most of my threads:

1. Introduce some unconventional notion or idea
2. Be attacked by unimaginative contrarian trolls who follow herd and attack any unique idea or notion
3. Defend perspectives, reveal trolls to be very naive
4. Narrowly escape the banhammer
5. Green shoots of understanding begin to sprout and the TLS community allows unconventional views to be explored.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:53 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:In the interest of fairness, I remember reading a paper by some Stanford professor, where he detailed the most accurate predictors of salaries to be:

so it would seem that, in some circumstances for some students, choosing the lower ranked school would not be disadvantageous.

2. Be attacked by unimaginative contrarian trolls who follow herd and attack any unique idea or notion
5. Green shoots of understanding begin to sprout and the TLS community allows unconventional views to be explored.
This may be the douchiest post I've ever seen.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:54 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:

And comments like these are the same reasons you are probably attacked by said trolls.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:57 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:3. You'll likely graduate higher up in your class... because I'll be the first to admit, the competition may not be as stiff
This is not how law school works at all. Those who succeed at lower-ranked schools and transfer up to higher-ranked schools typically also get consistently high grades at the schools they transferred up to. If someone is top of their class at DePaul, transfers up to Harvard, and keeps getting good grades there, how does the competition level explain anything?
reasonabledoubt wrote:4. You'll enjoy more freedom/options after graduation as you won't have a six figure vigorish waiting to be paid.
You'll still have $70K or so in debt to pay off from cost of living expenses for 3 years, and practically 0 job prospects ITE. Even folks at ND, a T25 school, are struggling to find jobs despite finishing in the top of their class. Having a Valparaiso degree will give you few to no employment options when you graduate, and given that you'll be forced to take one of the few options that arises to pay off the loans you do accrue, I wouldn't call the situation you end up in any kind of "freedom" at all.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:57 pm

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote: Why am I right so often? Here's the course of most of my threads:

1. Introduce some [strike]unconventional[/strike] notion or idea that is not often talked about (but everyone has at least considered)
2. Be attacked by unimaginative contrarian trolls who follow herd and attack any [strike]unique idea or notion[/strike] mediocre to crappy thread, especially made by someone very pompous
3. [strike]Defend perspectives, reveal trolls to be very naive[/strike] Feed trolls
4. [strike]Narrowly escape the banhammer[/strike] Be threatened with ban, even though I'm not the troll, which should probably tell me something
5. [strike]Green shoots of understanding begin to sprout and the TLS community allows unconventional views to be explored.[/strike] Wait for someone who sees my point of view to speak up; take credit for developing the thought.
Back to #2 we go. ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:58 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:

No offensive, but this thread took 13 pages to get to a very simple point, which has been expressed a million times on various threads : Depending on your circumstances, going to a TTT may make sense if you get a scholarship (full-ride).

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:58 pm

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:00 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:

1. Introduce [strike]some unconventional notion or idea[/strike] nonsense
2. Be attacked [strike]by unimaginative contrarian trolls who follow herd and attack any unique idea or notion[/strike]
3. Defend perspectives, reveal myself as a troll[strike]s to be very naive[/strike]
4. [strike]Narrowly escape[/strike] the banhammer
[strike]5. Green shoots of understanding begin to sprout and the TLS community allows unconventional views to be explored.
[/strike]
See corrections. They could become reality very soon.

Your post has nothing to do with the thread's topic (which is impressive, considering you're the OP). While I'm sure that it's a given that everyone is grovelling at your feet in awe of your amazing intellectual prowess, we have the Lounge for these types of sentiments.
YCr, I thought this was turning around and heading in a good direction.... confused.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:03 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:

1. Introduce [strike]some unconventional notion or idea[/strike] nonsense
2. Be attacked [strike]by unimaginative contrarian trolls who follow herd and attack any unique idea or notion[/strike]
3. Defend perspectives, reveal myself as a troll[strike]s to be very naive[/strike]
4. [strike]Narrowly escape[/strike] the banhammer
[strike]5. Green shoots of understanding begin to sprout and the TLS community allows unconventional views to be explored.
[/strike]
See corrections. They could become reality very soon.

Your post has nothing to do with the thread's topic (which is impressive, considering you're the OP). While I'm sure that it's a given that everyone is grovelling at your feet in awe of your amazing intellectual prowess, we have the Lounge for these types of sentiments.
YCr, I thought this was turning around and heading in a good direction.... confused.
What's with all the banhammer talk? This is all in good fun. Even if reasonabledoubt is off his rocker.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:04 pm

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:07 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
TTTennis wrote:
What's with all the banhammer talk? This is all in good fun. Even if reasonabledoubt is off his rocker.
That's what the Lounge is for. This thread stopped being about law school admissions quite a few posts back.
I would say it stopped being about law school admissions on page 2 :D No need to ban though, a simple, "shut up reasonabledoubt, you're acting like a tard, like usual" will work. haha

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”