Rarely talked about schools on TLS... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
reasonabledoubt

Silver

Rarely talked about schools on TLS...

Post by reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:21 pm

In a dual effort to establish a more complete library of info relating to schools as well as expose a few "sleepers" in the accredited LS mix, I introduce this thread.

This is for chatting about those schools which no one seems to chat about here.....

Surely there's some good ones out there that don't get the TLS press coverage they deserve.... maybe there's a few T3's (or, gasp, TTTT's) that someone had a friend or family member who had gone there and they have great information on. Maybe you grew up around XXX school that's a T3 but enjoys a remarkable level of prestige and placement in a 30 square mile radius of wherever, USA. Believe it or not, this kind of stuff appeals to some people.

I'll start: Valparaiso U. Yes, a T-4, but it's about an hour out of Chicago and has some pretty impressive faculty. As an aside, G-dubya Bush spoke at the school's anniversay a few years ago. They were once called, "the poor man's harvard," but not sure if that's a relatively good or bad thing. In any case, I've had a few friends go to this school (as well as some of their parents) and they're all doing remarkably well. It seems to place well in NWI region as well as Chicago. Who else has some hidden gems to speak of?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: Rarely talked about schools on TLS...

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:01 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:[strike]In a dual effort to establish a more complete library of info relating to schools as well as expose a few "sleepers" in the accredited LS mix, I introduce this thread.

This is for chatting about those schools which no one seems to chat about here.....

Surely there's some good ones out there that don't get the TLS press coverage they deserve.... maybe there's a few T3's (or, gasp, TTTT's) that someone had a friend or family member who had gone there and they have great information on. Maybe you grew up around XXX school that's a T3 but enjoys a remarkable level of prestige and placement in a 30 square mile radius of wherever, USA. Believe it or not, this kind of stuff appeals to some people.

I'll start: Valparaiso U. Yes, a T-4, but it's about an hour out of Chicago and has some pretty impressive faculty. As an aside, G-dubya Bush spoke at the school's anniversay a few years ago. They were once called, "the poor man's harvard," but not sure if that's a relatively good or bad thing. In any case, I've had a few friends go to this school (as well as some of their parents) and they're all doing remarkably well. It seems to place well in NWI region as well as Chicago. Who else has some hidden gems to speak of[/strike]?
/thread

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:05 pm

Wasn't CUNY the "poor man's Harvard"?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:06 pm

nycparalegal wrote:Wasn't CUNY the "poor man's Harvard"?
no

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:08 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
no

Yes
In the years when top-flight private schools were restricted to the children of the Protestant Establishment, thousands of brilliant individuals (including Jewish students) attended City College because they had no other option. CCNY's academic excellence and status as a working-class school earned it the titles "Harvard of the Proletariat", the "poor man's Harvard", and "Harvard-on-the-Hudson"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_College_of_New_York

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:11 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
no

Yes
[strike]In the years when top-flight private schools were restricted to the children of the Protestant Establishment, thousands of brilliant individuals (including Jewish students) attended City College because they had no other option. CCNY's academic excellence and status as a working-class school earned it the titles "Harvard of the Proletariat", the "poor man's Harvard", and "Harvard-on-the-Hudson"[/strike]
Oh, I'm sorry, we don't count what some guy wrote in a book review in 1994 as fact.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:12 pm

That would be any school outside of T14. And there is a good reason for that. Think about it.
Last edited by Ragged on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:12 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
no

Yes
In the years when top-flight private schools were restricted to the children of the Protestant Establishment, thousands of brilliant individuals (including Jewish students) attended City College because they had no other option. CCNY's academic excellence and status as a working-class school earned it the titles "Harvard of the Proletariat", the "poor man's Harvard", and "Harvard-on-the-Hudson"
From the original article
Start with the CCNY story. The U.S., and in fact the world, is liberally sprinkled with men and women who attended CCNY during what is believed to have been its glory years, which were in the 1930s extending to the late 1960s. In this stage descendants of East and South European immigrants flocked there, partly because it charged no tuition, but also because it was known as "Harvard on the Hudson" by its fans,
--LinkRemoved--

hth

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Ragged wrote:That would be any school outside of [strike]T14[/strike] T13. And there is a good reason for that. Think about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:18 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Ragged wrote:That would be any school outside of [strike]T14[/strike] T13. And there is a good reason for that. Think about it.
Blatant anti-GULC trolling

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm

So, can I ask why the hostility towards the OP and the idea for this thread? Certainly, there are articles here and there pertaining to certain low-ranked schools (and discussions on the acceptance/denial sub-forum), but it's really not that ridiculous of an idea.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Ragged wrote:That would be any school outside of T14. And there is a good reason for that. Think about it.

You think about this: There are (even friends of people on these threads) Berkeley 3L's and grads without a job offer in sight while TTTT 3L's and grads in less saturated markets (I have several friend examples) are all set with secure jobs and offers.

I think it's worth talking about.... T-14 does not = instajob nor does it necessarily mean (a) better education (b) better long-term income potential (c) better lawyer (d) better anything, really.

In a recession, people, firms, etc, are looking for bargains.... "undervalued assets," so to speak. Lower tier grads might be considered undervalued assets. They also might consider the fact that a lower tier grad might be more likely to stick around for the long term as opposed to the prestige-obsessed top-tier grad who might skip out on the firm as soon as the economy recovers and he/she can sneak into biglaw.
Last edited by reasonabledoubt on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:22 pm

The more I go on TLS the more I believe that TTTs are ripping students off, promising them riches in exchange for loads of debt. I don't know if this is just some echo chamber thought bouncing off the walls of TLS, or if it is actually the truth. I'm inclined to think it's mostly true.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:22 pm

sarlis wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Blatant pro-GTTTown trolling. Don't try and fight it, T13's going to be a thing.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:24 pm

stratocophic wrote:
sarlis wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Blatant pro-GTTTown trolling. Don't try and fight it, T13's going to be a thing.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:25 pm

I heard NorthwesTTTern was good.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:26 pm

sundevil77 wrote:The more I go on TLS the more I believe that T-14's are ripping students off, promising them riches in exchange for loads of debt. I don't know if this is just some echo chamber thought bouncing off the walls of TLS, or if it is actually the truth. I'm inclined to think it's mostly true.
Fixt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:26 pm

MC Southstar wrote:I heard NorthwesTTTern was good.
How do you feel about BigDECATURLaw?

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:29 pm

stratocophic wrote:
sarlis wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
blatant anti-cornell trolling

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:32 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Ragged wrote:That would be any school outside of T14. And there is a good reason for that. Think about it.

You think about this: There are (even friends of people on these threads) Berkeley 3L's and grads without a job offer in sight while TTTT 3L's and grads in less saturated markets (I have several friend examples) are all set with secure jobs and offers.

I think it's worth talking about.... T-14 does not = instajob nor does it necessarily mean (a) better education (b) better long-term income potential (c) better lawyer (d) better anything, really.

In a recession, people, firms, etc, are looking for bargains.... "undervalued assets," so to speak. Lower tier grads might be considered undervalued assets. They also might consider the fact that a lower tier grad might be more likely to stick around for the long term as opposed to the prestige-obsessed top-tier grad who might skip out on the firm as soon as the economy recovers and he/she can sneak into biglaw.
Fair enough. Its taking the "top" right out of "top-law-schools" but whatever.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:32 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:

I think it's worth talking about....
Maybe the Berkeley students you speak of have set their sights on different jobs. Could they possibly be holding out for BigLaw or their dream job? Conversely, maybe the TTT students are targeting less prestigious, more accessible positions. Also, they could have gone to a TTT partly because they had a job set up and knew the degree was only a formality. I'm just throwing those explanations out there...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:33 pm

How does WUSTTTL make money if they give out scholarships to failures?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:33 pm

sarlis wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
sarlis wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
blatant pro-cornell trolling
ftfy

we are gonna keep doing this 'till we get all the way up to Yale.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:34 pm

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Ragged wrote:
sarlis wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
sarlis wrote:
blatant pro-cornell trolling
ftfy

we are gonna keep doing this 'till we get all the way up to Yale.
blatant anti... fuck it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”