Rarely talked about schools on TLS... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nycparalegal

Bronze

Re: Rarely talked about schools on TLS...

Post by nycparalegal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Top law firms are not looking for "undervalued assets" they are looking for known entities. That's why someone at median from Stanford has 7 or 8 offers for employment ITE, while a median at Brooklyn does not.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:36 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:The more I go on TLS the more I believe that T-14's are ripping students off, promising them riches in exchange for loads of debt. I don't know if this is just some echo chamber thought bouncing off the walls of TLS, or if it is actually the truth. I'm inclined to think it's mostly true.
Fixt.
Really??? So T-14s that charge $40K/year are more of a rip off than Phoenix College of Law that is charging $35K/year??? I find that hard to believe. I have to think a T14 gives you a better shot at being employed. Huge debt + job > slightly smaller debt w/no job

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:43 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Ragged wrote:That would be any school outside of T14. And there is a good reason for that. Think about it.

You think about this: There are (even friends of people on these threads) Berkeley 3L's and grads without a job offer in sight while TTTT 3L's and grads in less saturated markets (I have several friend examples) are all set with secure jobs and offers.

I think it's worth talking about....
Maybe the Berkeley students you speak of have set their sights on different jobs. Could they possibly be holding out for BigLaw or their dream job? Conversely, maybe the TTT students are targeting less prestigious, more accessible positions. Also, they could have gone to a TTT partly because they had a job set up and knew the degree was only a formality. I'm just throwing those explanations out there...

Yes, of course I've considered that, but in a sense that speaks exactly to my point. There's a lot of wrong involved in the idea as well as practice of sitting around waiting for a "dream job" instead of getting to work. This is going to sound like a stereotype, but the TTT guy/gal would probably opt to get to work in this figurative example. (instead of waiting around for dream job)

Firms probably understand this dynamic quite well. Who would you hire? The guy/gal used to relying on outdated notions of "ranking" and "prestige" or the undervalued asset? If that TTT graduated near the top of their class and exhibited some special savvy which related to the type of law my firm specialized in AND would be elated for a salary that the former T-14 might scoff at, well, I know who I'd hire.

Anyways... I think the hidden gem schools in interesting (albeit smaller) markets are worth talking about, that's all. This might appeal to a lot of TLS'ers...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:45 pm

sarlis wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Ragged wrote:That would be any school outside of [strike]T14[/strike] T13. And there is a good reason for that. Think about it.
Blatant anti-GULC trolling
Disagree. Blatant pro reality trolling.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:46 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:I heard NorthwesTTTern was good.
How do you feel about BigDECATURLaw?
Dude, Notre Dame pwns NorthwesTTTern in Decatur big law. Their meth law programs is unparalleled.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
sarlis wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Ragged wrote:That would be any school outside of [strike]T14[/strike] T13. And there is a good reason for that. Think about it.
Blatant anti-GULC trolling
Disagree. Blatant pro reality trolling.
You're the Richard the Lionheart to our T13 crusade

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:47 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:The more I go on TLS the more I believe that T-14's are ripping students off, promising them riches in exchange for loads of debt. I don't know if this is just some echo chamber thought bouncing off the walls of TLS, or if it is actually the truth. I'm inclined to think it's mostly true.
Fixt.
Really??? So T-14s that charge $40K/year are more of a rip off than Phoenix College of Law that is charging $35K/year??? I find that hard to believe. I have to think a T14 gives you a better shot at being employed. Huge debt + job > slightly smaller debt w/no job
No, I was thinking of the candidate that would get into the T-14 who would also probably garner a full scholarship at the lower tier school(s) you're thinking of..... 150k debt in a saturated market vs. 0 debt in a smaller, but growing market might be appealing to some.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:49 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Ragged wrote:That would be any school outside of T14. And there is a good reason for that. Think about it.

You think about this: There are (even friends of people on these threads) Berkeley 3L's and grads without a job offer in sight while TTTT 3L's and grads in less saturated markets (I have several friend examples) are all set with secure jobs and offers.

I think it's worth talking about....
Maybe the Berkeley students you speak of have set their sights on different jobs. Could they possibly be holding out for BigLaw or their dream job? Conversely, maybe the TTT students are targeting less prestigious, more accessible positions. Also, they could have gone to a TTT partly because they had a job set up and knew the degree was only a formality. I'm just throwing those explanations out there...

Yes, of course I've considered that, but in a sense that speaks exactly to my point. There's a lot of wrong involved in the idea as well as practice of sitting around waiting for a "dream job" instead of getting to work. This is going to sound like a stereotype, but the TTT guy/gal would probably opt to get to work in this figurative example. (instead of waiting around for dream job)

Firms probably understand this dynamic quite well. Who would you hire? The guy/gal used to relying on outdated notions of "ranking" and "prestige" or the undervalued asset? If that TTT graduated near the top of their class and exhibited some special savvy which related to the type of law my firm specialized in AND would be elated for a salary that the former T-14 might scoff at, well, I know who I'd hire.

Anyways... I think the hidden gem schools in interesting (albeit smaller) markets are worth talking about, that's all. This might appeal to a lot of TLS'ers...
I'm not disagreeing with you. Another possible explanation...T14 candidates w/out jobs are pretentious a--h---s that no firm would consider hiring.

Ok, sorry to disrupt the talk of "hidden gems." Although being that this is top law schools I don't know how much of a response you're going to get, OP. Good luck.
Last edited by sundevil77 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Anyone who can't get a 170 on their LSAT is borderline unemployable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:50 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
[strike]No, I was thinking of the candidate that would get into the T-14 who would also probably garner a full scholarship at the lower tier school(s) you're thinking of..... 150k debt in a saturated market vs. 0 debt in a smaller, but growing market might be appealing to some[/strike]I'm going to Indiana-Bloomington!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:51 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
The very top TTT kids are better off than the bottom t14 kids for sure. This isn't rocket science. I'm not sure you are countering some kind of prevailing opinion on this site.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone who can't get a 170 on their LSAT is borderline unemployable.
Blatant get-into-mensa via backdoor trolling. ;)

But seriously, any American in this economy is borderline unemployable.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:53 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
The very top TTT kids are better off than the bottom t14 kids for sure. This isn't rocket science. I'm not sure you are countering some kind of prevailing opinion on this site.
TTTop kids aren't getting jobs, hth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone who can't get a 170 on their LSAT is borderline unemployable.
I resent that! :cry: Why must I be such a FAILURE in life? Wait, I can get a 170, I just didn't :D

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:54 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:

But seriously, any [strike]American[/strike] humanities major in this economy is [strike]borderline[/strike]unemployable.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:55 pm

They're less talked about for a reason.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:56 pm

mistergoft wrote: TTTop kids aren't getting jobs, hth.
Well I'm using this sites definition of TTT which includes any non-top-law-school, but even still, I imagine whoever graduates number one in their class from Ole Miss will be able to find some sort of employment.
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:56 pm

cdd_04 wrote:
I resent that! :cry: Why must I be such a FAILURE in life? Wait, I can get a 170, I just didn't :D
No, you can't.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:57 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:

But seriously, any American in this economy is borderline unemployable.
Haha TITCR

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:57 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:
No, you can't.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Well I'm using this sites definition of TTT which includes any non-top-law-school, but even still, I imagine whoever graduates number one in their class from Ole Miss will be able to find some sort of employment.
Nope. No one outside of Cornell gets jobs, didn't you know?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:59 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
Nope. No one outside of Cornell gets jobs, didn't you know?
Are you kidding me, that is outrageous. Nobody gets jobs at Cornell.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:04 pm

This thread makes me want to put three T's into every school not Yale.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:05 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:
No, you can't.
LOL. Am I that transparent? FML

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:06 pm

booboo wrote:This thread makes me want to put three T's into every school not Yale.
Yes, but Yale is a TTT that has convinced the world it's #1 through PR, magazines, sustained pretense, etc. Oh, and small class size and no grades.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”