Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:38 pm

I got an email with that subject header today from NYU.

The wording invites me to fill out a simple application for a pure merit scholarship, no essay, just a simple app.

The actual notices came in the form of an password-protected PDF.

Anyone have any idea on how this invitation actually pans out for aid? Does this mean I have a good shot at some $$$ from NYU?

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby booboo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Sogui wrote:I got an email with that subject header today from NYU.

The wording invites me to fill out a simple application for a pure merit scholarship, no essay, just a simple app.

The actual notices came in the form of an password-protected PDF.

Anyone have any idea on how this invitation actually pans out for aid? Does this mean I have a good shot at some $$$ from NYU?


Srs bizness!

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:03 pm

booboo wrote:
Srs bizness!



I was going to say "encrypted, password protected, eye-scan requiring .pdf" but I got just enough satisfaction from saying it was password protected.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby booboo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:14 pm

This can only mean something good for you, and it seems like they want to to keep some of their higher number applicants... :).

So, how long did it take you to submit the application? ;).

User avatar
summerschooled
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby summerschooled » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Which of their application options are you going to use? Merit only? I'm also interested to know how many of us will actually get some money out of this invitation.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm

summerschooled wrote:Which of their application options are you going to use? Merit only? I'm also interested to know how many of us will actually get some money out of this invitation.


Where do they mention options? Of course I'm going for merit and need, I'm making $0 and my only surviving parent is making peanuts on her tax form. This invitation seems to be for merit-based aid, but not exclusive to those who want merit-only aid.

I am wondering how many of us will get the money too (hence this thread), but they seem pretty confident that we will get something in that last sentence.

NYU students of cycles past... INFORM US!

NYC2013
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby NYC2013 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:24 pm

I got this too, a merit scholarship would REALLY make my decisions easier...

User avatar
summerschooled
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby summerschooled » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:45 pm

Sogui wrote:
summerschooled wrote:Which of their application options are you going to use? Merit only? I'm also interested to know how many of us will actually get some money out of this invitation.


Where do they mention options? Of course I'm going for merit and need, I'm making $0 and my only surviving parent is making peanuts on her tax form. This invitation seems to be for merit-based aid, but not exclusive to those who want merit-only aid.

I am wondering how many of us will get the money too (hence this thread), but they seem pretty confident that we will get something in that last sentence.

NYU students of cycles past... INFORM US!

Well, if you try to start the form, it asks you to choose option A, B, C, or D. The most comprehensive one includes student and parent financial info, the shortest one is merit aid only. I also want to apply for both need and merit, so I guess we'll have to do the longer, more time-consuming option. Oh well, it's worth it if I get more money!

User avatar
bottomshelf
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:26 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby bottomshelf » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm

Got this also - I'll be sending in the merit/need based application. I'm kind of relieved there's no essay involved!

EDIT: I'm also interested in hearing from the ghosts of cycles past...

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:47 pm

NYC2013 wrote:I got this too, a merit scholarship would REALLY make my decisions easier...


Bumping to see if any board veteran's know anything about the ratio of invitations:actual scholarships.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:17 pm

Pretty sure that every invite yields a scholarship. Does anyone know about the % of people that gets above the minimum award?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Veyron wrote:Pretty sure that every invite yields a scholarship. Does anyone know about the % of people that gets above the minimum award?


whoah, thats an awesome thing to hear lol

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby Sogui » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:05 pm

Veyron wrote:Pretty sure that every invite yields a scholarship. Does anyone know about the % of people that gets above the minimum award?


I know there won't be any hard or fast sources on that, but where did you get this impression?

I discussed this with a friend and had a theory about it:

NYU wants to give scholarships to some of its better admitted students to encourage them to enroll there

However it might be risky to assume a certain yield rate among these students and hand out money on the assumption that some of them will still go elsewhere.

So instead NYU sends out this encouraging invitation, forcing those students who might otherwise might be looking to enroll elsewhere to reconsider what NYU might be able to give them. These "disinterested" students may have been accepted at a better school and wouldn't have even bothered filling out NYU's financial aid form. Now they will be filling out NYU's form, those who are truly no longer interested in NYU wont, and it will allow NYU to hand out these scholarships with a better idea of who will or won't be enrolling there.

Conclusion: This unusual method of "inviting" scholarships allows NYU to try and hook some of the stronger applicants with $$$ without blindly handing out money regardless of proven interest in the school (ie Hamilton and Butler).
Last edited by Sogui on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Would prefer not to disclose. I have a vested interest in people not believing me. Less applicants for the $ = less competition for the larger awards.

doomcannon
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby doomcannon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm

Does anyone know if this is an ongoing process or a one-round deal? I have been admitted to NYU (yes!) since this thread was started; did I apply too late? I definitely missed the 1/1/2010 deadline due to my Dec. LSAT + procrastination.

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby adameus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:41 pm

doomcannon wrote:Does anyone know if this is an ongoing process or a one-round deal? I have been admitted to NYU (yes!) since this thread was started; did I apply too late? I definitely missed the 1/1/2010 deadline due to my Dec. LSAT + procrastination.

+1

ridleyroses
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby ridleyroses » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:53 pm

Wondering the exact same thing as OP. Really hoping some NYU 1L's who got this letter last year can provide some insight...

ridleyroses
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby ridleyroses » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:44 pm

bump

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby Sogui » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:33 pm

The deadline everyone got was 2/24, not 1/1... this thread is only a little over a week old.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:13 am

For what it's worth, I was admitted a week before this invite went out and didn't get the invite but have numbers strictly above some people who were invited. No one reported getting the invite who was admitted the same date as I was (2/4), although people admitted a week earlier did get it, so it may have been a date issue. I filled out the application anyway. I'll let you guys know if I end up getting scholarship money.

doomcannon
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby doomcannon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Sogui wrote:The deadline everyone got was 2/24, not 1/1... this thread is only a little over a week old.


Right, I meant the application deadline. I think that based on my numbers, I'm a possible candidate for this, but I fear that application in this post 1/1 world leaves an NYU hopeful with few merit scholarship options. I'd love to be corrected, however.

BenJ wrote:For what it's worth, I was admitted a week before this invite went out and didn't get the invite but have numbers strictly above some people who were invited. No one reported getting the invite who was admitted the same date as I was (2/4), although people admitted a week earlier did get it, so it may have been a date issue. I filled out the application anyway. I'll let you guys know if I end up getting scholarship money.


Is this form available somewhere? My understanding is that it was mailed only to eligible applicants?

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby Sogui » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:52 pm

http://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html

It's not really clear if you can log in before admitted.


Just enter your social security number and birthday then cross your fingers.

doomcannon
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby doomcannon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:00 am

Sogui wrote:http://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html

It's not really clear if you can log in before admitted.


Just enter your social security number and birthday then cross your fingers.


Thanks, I have been admitted so it works for me. I should have checked back on this earlier today--hope I can get the info for this together in time.

doomcannon
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Invitation to Apply for a Merit Scholarship from NYU School

Postby doomcannon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:19 pm

Follow-up for anyone in the same boat as me (recent admission, no email about financial aid): I called the financial aid office today and got some answers. The email mentioned above is sent out to candidates in batches ~10 days after admission. The email sets a deadline by which the FAFSA and NYU forms should be filled out. HTH.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tasha88 and 4 guests