coming from an unranked school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
big_blue79

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby big_blue79 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:29 am

blhoward2 wrote:None, I went to an unranked online school geared towards the military and am in at two T14 schools that my numbers suggest should be semi-reaches.

I went to the same school, and I am waiting on results this cycle (mid January apps). Although I would not read too much into my cycle because I was a late applicant and I have a negative factor that is hard to quantify. We'll see how it goes.

And definitely a budding romance. But it's the Internet, so it's probably a bromance (sorry, OS).

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:37 am

cdd_04 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:And is it just me, or is there a little romance blossoming between James Bond and OperaSoprano?

Hah what? OS is simply a nice person. I like nice people.

Responded with a giggle (that was a giggle) and a question. There is DEFINITELY a romance blossoming. I support you. Let's turn TLS into an online lawyer dating site. Or at least Ken will form TLS-Dating.com (inspired by James Bond and OS) haha.

I like nice people too, no shame.

The idea was suggested and rejected, in the mod thread. Since you mention it, there has been some TLS dating, although I plead the fifth as to any firsthand knowledge or involvement. I'm probably way older than James Bond, though. I'm 25, so I'm practically a nontrad. He is a very cool person, and I expect he'll have a good cycle.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:43 am

OperaSoprano wrote:The idea was suggested and rejected, in the mod thread. Since you mention it, there has been some TLS dating, although I plead the fifth as to any firsthand knowledge or involvement. I'm probably way older than James Bond, though. I'm 25, so I'm practically a nontrad. He is a very cool person, and I expect he'll have a good cycle.

Turning 25 this year, I do not feel immature in continuing to say this, but....there is definitely a romance coming on. "he is a very cool person" and "i like nice people." For Christ's sake, why don't you two take this private (see PM). Ok, maybe I am being a little immature, but these things happen when you are up at all hours of the night because you are dying to hear back from the schools you applied to. Oh, and no need to plead the fifth, everyone now knows you have firsthand knowledge AND involvement :D

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:44 am

cdd_04 wrote:Responded with a giggle (that was a giggle)

Nonsense. "hehe" would be a giggle in internet terms. "Hah" is simply a chuckle

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:44 am

OperaSoprano wrote: I'm probably way older than James Bond, though. I'm 25, so I'm practically a nontrad. He is a very cool person, and I expect he'll have a good cycle.

I'm 22, so I'm somewhat non-trad, but ya you have three years on me :)

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:45 am

cdd_04 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:The idea was suggested and rejected, in the mod thread. Since you mention it, there has been some TLS dating, although I plead the fifth as to any firsthand knowledge or involvement. I'm probably way older than James Bond, though. I'm 25, so I'm practically a nontrad. He is a very cool person, and I expect he'll have a good cycle.

Turning 25 this year, I do not feel immature in continuing to say this, but....there is definitely a romance coming on. "he is a very cool person" and "i like nice people." For Christ's sake, why don't you two take this private (see PM). Ok, maybe I am being a little immature, but these things happen when you are up at all hours of the night because you are dying to hear back from the schools you applied to. Oh, and no need to plead the fifth, everyone now knows you have firsthand knowledge AND involvement :D

If you think this is a budding romance you should check out some other threads on this site. You'd think they'd be destined for marriage. You're ridiculous by the way :lol:

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:46 am

James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: I'm probably way older than James Bond, though. I'm 25, so I'm practically a nontrad. He is a very cool person, and I expect he'll have a good cycle.

Ok, I can work with this. We have a little cougartown-law and order thing happening here. And James Bond, I like your move, throwing your age out there so as to let OS know you aren't too young. Well played sir.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:47 am

cdd_04 wrote:
James Bond wrote:

Ok, I can work with this. We have a little cougartown-law and order thing happening here. And James Bond, I like your move, throwing your age out there so as to let OS know you aren't too young. Well played sir.

:shock: I really need to stop posting, apparently

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:49 am

James Bond wrote:[strike]If you think this is a budding romance you should check out some other threads on this site. You'd think they'd be destined for marriage. You're ridiculous by the way[/strike] J'm in love with OS :lol:

Agreed, I am ridiculous :D

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:51 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:FIT doesnt count in this analysis.. thats a wild card.

That's what I was getting at.

It counts, in that it's an unranked school that some law schools probably treated with disdain. My guess is that the former head of my admissions office wasn't thrilled about it, but the current dean was willing to give me a chance. From talking to prezidentv8, who went to a more traditional "non-prestigious" UG, the students at Duke from lesser known UGs did tend to have higher numbers on average. I'm not sure how much higher, or if other factors were involved, but we can at least say that some type of correlation exists here. I'm not trying to discourage the OP, as Prez and I both managed to have great cycles, but it's something that some schools may care about.

Ohhhhh haaiiiiiiiiiii youze guys!!!!

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:00 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:FIT doesnt count in this analysis.. thats a wild card.

That's what I was getting at.

It counts, in that it's an unranked school that some law schools probably treated with disdain. My guess is that the former head of my admissions office wasn't thrilled about it, but the current dean was willing to give me a chance. From talking to prezidentv8, who went to a more traditional "non-prestigious" UG, the students at Duke from lesser known UGs did tend to have higher numbers on average. I'm not sure how much higher, or if other factors were involved, but we can at least say that some type of correlation exists here. I'm not trying to discourage the OP, as Prez and I both managed to have great cycles, but it's something that some schools may care about.

O hai! How on earth did I know you would find this thread?

I have happy memories, and that's what matters. I adore all my TLS friends; that's just my style. I have to go to sleep, though. Insomnia win.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:04 am

Threesome??? Gosh

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:07 am

JustDude wrote:Threesome??? Gosh

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:10 am

cdd_04 wrote:
JustDude wrote:
You didnt expect me to be elitist snob?.. Thats weird

On the other hand, as you could have seen, I have respect for toilet scrubbers. Could it be because I was one?

This is true; how else could you get away with half the crap you say? haha Either way, I am thoroughly entertained.

Have you ever considered starting your own site or blog? I think (read: guarantee) it would be a hit.

Even better. Believe it or not I resolved to write a book. It happened today, like six hours ago. BTW, considering JustDudes guide to personal statements. Special gift to this site

jacqueblu

Postby jacqueblu » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Mazzinni- Did they have your UG school listed when you initially filled out your LSAC account information? I am just starting this whole process and discovered by UG is not listed. I sent LSCA an e-mail and have not heard back. If you had this problem, how did you resolve it?

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:22 pm

My school was registered with LSAC so I didn't have that problem. Hopefully LSAC will resolve that issue or perhaps your school is not accredited? I don't know.... good luck!

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:33 pm

OP, I have very similar numbers and went to a regional state school that was just barely ranked (like 40 something in USNWR ranking of masters granting schools in the West), so probably considered pretty much the same as most unranked schools. I applied last cycle and it didn't seem to matter at all, in fact, the school I will be attending was actually a bit of a reach, so they clearly didn't hold my UG school against me.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:23 am

jacqueblu wrote:Mazzinni- Did they have your UG school listed when you initially filled out your LSAC account information? I am just starting this whole process and discovered by UG is not listed. I sent LSCA an e-mail and have not heard back. If you had this problem, how did you resolve it?

I had this problem. When you register for LSAC you can pick any school, just don't release your information to a pre-law advisor. When you enter your college information later (after registering for LSAC and logging in) there is an option for an unlisted school. That is what they told me to do.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:13 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:From talking to prezidentv8, who went to a more traditional "non-prestigious" UG...

O hai! How on earth did I know you would find this thread?

I have happy memories, and that's what matters. I adore all my TLS friends; that's just my style. I have to go to sleep, though. Insomnia win.

Hahahaha yeah I sensed that this thread/conversation happened again and had a sudden urge to sign on to TLS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”