coming from an unranked school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 am

James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:I still think coming from FIT put you at more of a disadvantage than just your average unranked state school, OS. Even just due to stereotypes...


It probably did, but the upside is that it made me memorable, for better or for worse. I still have no idea how legal employers will react, which is why my GPA is going to be absolutely critical.

I don't think OP needs to worry, and this can cut both ways, as the online school + military issue shows, but it's something to keep in mind. There are schools that care, though it's fairly credited that HYSCCN care the most.


Not that this opinion is based on 100% fact, so take that as you will, but I don't think they'll care much. How you do in law school, as you mentioned, will be the factor they look at.


I can't tell you how much I hope you're right.

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby mi-chan17 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:25 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:I still think coming from FIT put you at more of a disadvantage than just your average unranked state school, OS. Even just due to stereotypes...


It probably did, but the upside is that it made me memorable, for better or for worse. I still have no idea how legal employers will react, which is why my GPA is going to be absolutely critical.

I don't think OP needs to worry, and this can cut both ways, as the online school + military issue shows, but it's something to keep in mind. There are schools that care, though it's fairly credited that HYSCCN care the most.


I'd be wary of extrapolating too much from a single example, but I got WL'd at one of CCN with numbers that are unusually low for them with a GPA from a non-prestigious undergrad. I might be an unusual case, but it hasn't seemed to hurt me too much this cycle.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:25 am

James Bond wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:Maybe my TTT UG is the reason I got waitlisted at Illinois. I'm positive it had NOTHING to do with my LSAT or GPA...at all. I hate you crappy school that will not be mentioned (for fear of torment and ridicule). :D


Don't worry...my UG is pretty horrible too. Went there for $


At least you have an excuse. I didn't even get/go for money. Although, with $5k/year in-state tuition, I guess you could say I went there for money.

Crappy TTT UG+UG debt= :( Here's to law school and getting off all those waitlists I'm sure to be on :D

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:30 am

Crappy UG, so far I think it's had virtually no impact on my cycle.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:31 am

cdd_04 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:Maybe my TTT UG is the reason I got waitlisted at Illinois. I'm positive it had NOTHING to do with my LSAT or GPA...at all. I hate you crappy school that will not be mentioned (for fear of torment and ridicule). :D


Don't worry...my UG is pretty horrible too. Went there for $


At least you have an excuse. I didn't even get/go for money. Although, with $5k/year in-state tuition, I guess you could say I went there for money.

Crappy TTT UG+UG debt= :( Here's to law school and getting off all those waitlists I'm sure to be on :D


Well, I went there for money and because I was a pompous jackoff in highschool, only redeemed by my SAT score :P

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:38 am

James Bond wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:Maybe my TTT UG is the reason I got waitlisted at Illinois. I'm positive it had NOTHING to do with my LSAT or GPA...at all. I hate you crappy school that will not be mentioned (for fear of torment and ridicule). :D


Don't worry...my UG is pretty horrible too. Went there for $


At least you have an excuse. I didn't even get/go for money. Although, with $5k/year in-state tuition, I guess you could say I went there for money.

Crappy TTT UG+UG debt= :( Here's to law school and getting off all those waitlists I'm sure to be on :D


Well, I went there for money and because I was a pompous jackoff in highschool, only redeemed by my SAT score :P


Similar. I transferred into FIT. It's surprisingly hard to get in, and my high school GPA would not have done the trick.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:40 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Well, I went there for money and because I was a pompous jackoff in highschool, only redeemed by my SAT score :P


Similar. I transferred into FIT. It's surprisingly hard to get in, and my high school GPA would not have done the trick.


The unfortunate thing is that after freshman year I learned my lesson about the importance of studies...but freshman year will haunt me the entire way through my cycle.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:45 am

James Bond wrote:Well, I went there for money and because I was a pompous jackoff in highschool, [strike]only redeemed[/strike] not redeemed by my SAT score :P


Luckily, I figured out the importance of grades going straight into college :D Probably the only thing that got me on the waitlist :?

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 am

James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Well, I went there for money and because I was a pompous jackoff in highschool, only redeemed by my SAT score :P


Similar. I transferred into FIT. It's surprisingly hard to get in, and my high school GPA would not have done the trick.


The unfortunate thing is that after freshman year I learned my lesson about the importance of studies...but freshman year will haunt me the entire way through my cycle.


We all have something. At least you learned, though. Some of us take longer than others. :oops:

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:48 am

OperaSoprano wrote:We all have something. At least you learned, though. Some of us take longer than others. :oops:


Hey if I get into a school like Fordham I won't be complaining too loudly :mrgreen:

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:50 am

James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:We all have something. At least you learned, though. Some of us take longer than others. :oops:


Hey if I get into a school like Fordham I won't be complaining too loudly :mrgreen:


<3 I see much happiness in your future. You know the score, and how to present yourself well. I don't think you ever told me where you want to go, though.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:51 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:We all have something. At least you learned, though. Some of us take longer than others. :oops:


Hey if I get into a school like Fordham I won't be complaining too loudly :mrgreen:


<3 I see much happiness in your future. You know the score, and how to present yourself well. I don't think you ever told me where you want to go, though.


That's because I'm not sure where I can go yet. I have 3-4 schools in each "range" or so that I'd be happy with. So, if I score this on the LSAT, these are the schools I want. If I score this, it's these schools instead.

User avatar
JustDude
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby JustDude » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:52 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:We all have something. At least you learned, though. Some of us take longer than others. :oops:


Hey if I get into a school like Fordham I won't be complaining too loudly :mrgreen:


<3 I see much happiness in your future. You know the score, and how to present yourself well. I don't think you ever told me where you want to go, though.


If he would be happy to get into Fordham, I dont see much happines. I would assume he is out of T50 and up for a big dissapointment in life

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 am

James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:We all have something. At least you learned, though. Some of us take longer than others. :oops:


Hey if I get into a school like Fordham I won't be complaining too loudly :mrgreen:


<3 I see much happiness in your future. You know the score, and how to present yourself well. I don't think you ever told me where you want to go, though.


That's because I'm not sure where I can go yet. I have 3-4 schools in each "range" or so that I'd be happy with. So, if I score this on the LSAT, these are the schools I want. If I score this, it's these schools instead.


I hear you. You are so much better informed than I was at the beginning. I had never taken a timed preptest, and I never scored the ones I did take, so of course I never thought in those terms. It's a miracle I got in here, all things considered. I'm wishing you tons of luck when the time comes.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:56 am

JustDude wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:We all have something. At least you learned, though. Some of us take longer than others. :oops:


Hey if I get into a school like Fordham I won't be complaining too loudly :mrgreen:


<3 I see much happiness in your future. You know the score, and how to present yourself well. I don't think you ever told me where you want to go, though.


If he would be happy to get into Fordham, I dont see much happines. I would assume he is out of T50 and up for a big dissapointment in life


Is this guy serious? :lol:

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:57 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I hear you. You are so much better informed than I was at the beginning. I had never taken a timed preptest, and I never scored the ones I did take, so of course I never thought in those terms. It's a miracle I got in here, all things considered. I'm wishing you tons of luck when the time comes.


Honestly TLS is the best source of info about LS I've ever seen or heard of. I feel infinitely more prepared and relaxed because of it.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby sophia.olive » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 am

I read these studies. If you didn't go to hyp then it comes down to whether or not your school mascot was a carnivore or herbivore. Southern schools like carnivores and horses. Cls likes pandas. Northern schools generally like herbivores. Stanford likes mythical creatures.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:06 am

sophia.olive wrote:I read these studies. If you didn't go to hyp then it comes down to whether or not your school mascot was a carnivore or herbivore. Southern schools like carnivores and horses. Cls likes pandas. Northern schools generally like herbivores. Stanford likes mythical creatures.


It might be because it's 2am, but I lol'ed

User avatar
JustDude
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby JustDude » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:16 am

James Bond wrote:
Is this guy serious? :lol:


Of course joking. Fordham is awesome. I mean OS is there, and she is a legend for getting rankings from penn station.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 am

JustDude wrote:
If he would be happy to get into Fordham, I dont see much happines. I would assume he is out of T50 and up for a big dissapointment in life


Well played JustDude. Thank you for providing me with some humor tonight-and I thought you were going to disappoint. However, I didn't know JustDude was an elitist snob haha

And is it just me, or is there a little romance blossoming between James Bond and OperaSoprano?

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:21 am

sophia.olive wrote:I read these studies. If you didn't go to hyp then it comes down to whether or not your school mascot was a carnivore or herbivore. Southern schools like carnivores and horses. Cls likes pandas. Northern schools generally like herbivores. Stanford likes mythical creatures.


This made me LOL. Which is also how I know I'm exhausted and need to get off of tls.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:22 am

cdd_04 wrote:And is it just me, or is there a little romance blossoming between James Bond and OperaSoprano?


Hah what? OS is simply a nice person. I like nice people.

User avatar
JustDude
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby JustDude » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:23 am

cdd_04 wrote:
JustDude wrote:
If he would be happy to get into Fordham, I dont see much happines. I would assume he is out of T50 and up for a big dissapointment in life


Well played JustDude. Thank you for providing me with some humor tonight-and I thought you were going to disappoint. However, I didn't know JustDude was an elitist snob haha

And is it just me, or is there a little romance blossoming between James Bond and OperaSoprano?


You didnt expect me to be elitist snob?.. Thats weird

On the other hand, as you could have seen, I have respect for toilet scrubbers. Could it be because I was one?

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:24 am

James Bond wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:And is it just me, or is there a little romance blossoming between James Bond and OperaSoprano?


Hah what? OS is simply a nice person. I like nice people.


Responded with a giggle (that was a giggle) and a question. There is DEFINITELY a romance blossoming. I support you. Let's turn TLS into an online lawyer dating site. Or at least Ken will form TLS-Dating.com (inspired by James Bond and OS) haha.

I like nice people too, no shame.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: coming from an unranked school

Postby TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:27 am

JustDude wrote:
You didnt expect me to be elitist snob?.. Thats weird

On the other hand, as you could have seen, I have respect for toilet scrubbers. Could it be because I was one?


This is true; how else could you get away with half the crap you say? haha Either way, I am thoroughly entertained.

Have you ever considered starting your own site or blog? I think (read: guarantee) it would be a hit.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], bcapace, dannyswo, Exabot [Bot] and 7 guests