coming from an unranked school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: coming from an unranked school

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 am

James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:I still think coming from FIT put you at more of a disadvantage than just your average unranked state school, OS. Even just due to stereotypes...
It probably did, but the upside is that it made me memorable, for better or for worse. I still have no idea how legal employers will react, which is why my GPA is going to be absolutely critical.

I don't think OP needs to worry, and this can cut both ways, as the online school + military issue shows, but it's something to keep in mind. There are schools that care, though it's fairly credited that HYSCCN care the most.
Not that this opinion is based on 100% fact, so take that as you will, but I don't think they'll care much. How you do in law school, as you mentioned, will be the factor they look at.
I can't tell you how much I hope you're right.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:25 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:I still think coming from FIT put you at more of a disadvantage than just your average unranked state school, OS. Even just due to stereotypes...
It probably did, but the upside is that it made me memorable, for better or for worse. I still have no idea how legal employers will react, which is why my GPA is going to be absolutely critical.

I don't think OP needs to worry, and this can cut both ways, as the online school + military issue shows, but it's something to keep in mind. There are schools that care, though it's fairly credited that HYSCCN care the most.
I'd be wary of extrapolating too much from a single example, but I got WL'd at one of CCN with numbers that are unusually low for them with a GPA from a non-prestigious undergrad. I might be an unusual case, but it hasn't seemed to hurt me too much this cycle.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:25 am

James Bond wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:Maybe my TTT UG is the reason I got waitlisted at Illinois. I'm positive it had NOTHING to do with my LSAT or GPA...at all. I hate you crappy school that will not be mentioned (for fear of torment and ridicule). :D
Don't worry...my UG is pretty horrible too. Went there for $
At least you have an excuse. I didn't even get/go for money. Although, with $5k/year in-state tuition, I guess you could say I went there for money.

Crappy TTT UG+UG debt= :( Here's to law school and getting off all those waitlists I'm sure to be on :D

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:30 am

Crappy UG, so far I think it's had virtually no impact on my cycle.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:31 am

cdd_04 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:Maybe my TTT UG is the reason I got waitlisted at Illinois. I'm positive it had NOTHING to do with my LSAT or GPA...at all. I hate you crappy school that will not be mentioned (for fear of torment and ridicule). :D
At least you have an excuse. I didn't even get/go for money. Although, with $5k/year in-state tuition, I guess you could say I went there for money.

Crappy TTT UG+UG debt= :( Here's to law school and getting off all those waitlists I'm sure to be on :D
Well, I went there for money and because I was a pompous jackoff in highschool, only redeemed by my SAT score :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:38 am

James Bond wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:
James Bond wrote:

Well, I went there for money and because I was a pompous jackoff in highschool, only redeemed by my SAT score :P
Similar. I transferred into FIT. It's surprisingly hard to get in, and my high school GPA would not have done the trick.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:40 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Similar. I transferred into FIT. It's surprisingly hard to get in, and my high school GPA would not have done the trick.
The unfortunate thing is that after freshman year I learned my lesson about the importance of studies...but freshman year will haunt me the entire way through my cycle.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:45 am

James Bond wrote: Well, I went there for money and because I was a pompous jackoff in highschool, [strike]only redeemed[/strike] not redeemed by my SAT score :P
Luckily, I figured out the importance of grades going straight into college :D Probably the only thing that got me on the waitlist :?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 am

James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
The unfortunate thing is that after freshman year I learned my lesson about the importance of studies...but freshman year will haunt me the entire way through my cycle.
We all have something. At least you learned, though. Some of us take longer than others. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:48 am

OperaSoprano wrote: We all have something. At least you learned, though. Some of us take longer than others. :oops:
Hey if I get into a school like Fordham I won't be complaining too loudly :mrgreen:

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:50 am

James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: We all have something. At least you learned, though. Some of us take longer than others. :oops:
Hey if I get into a school like Fordham I won't be complaining too loudly :mrgreen:
<3 I see much happiness in your future. You know the score, and how to present yourself well. I don't think you ever told me where you want to go, though.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:51 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
<3 I see much happiness in your future. You know the score, and how to present yourself well. I don't think you ever told me where you want to go, though.
That's because I'm not sure where I can go yet. I have 3-4 schools in each "range" or so that I'd be happy with. So, if I score this on the LSAT, these are the schools I want. If I score this, it's these schools instead.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:52 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
If he would be happy to get into Fordham, I dont see much happines. I would assume he is out of T50 and up for a big dissapointment in life

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 am

James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
That's because I'm not sure where I can go yet. I have 3-4 schools in each "range" or so that I'd be happy with. So, if I score this on the LSAT, these are the schools I want. If I score this, it's these schools instead.
I hear you. You are so much better informed than I was at the beginning. I had never taken a timed preptest, and I never scored the ones I did take, so of course I never thought in those terms. It's a miracle I got in here, all things considered. I'm wishing you tons of luck when the time comes.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:56 am

JustDude wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
James Bond wrote:
If he would be happy to get into Fordham, I dont see much happines. I would assume he is out of T50 and up for a big dissapointment in life
Is this guy serious? :lol:

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:57 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I hear you. You are so much better informed than I was at the beginning. I had never taken a timed preptest, and I never scored the ones I did take, so of course I never thought in those terms. It's a miracle I got in here, all things considered. I'm wishing you tons of luck when the time comes.
Honestly TLS is the best source of info about LS I've ever seen or heard of. I feel infinitely more prepared and relaxed because of it.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 am

I read these studies. If you didn't go to hyp then it comes down to whether or not your school mascot was a carnivore or herbivore. Southern schools like carnivores and horses. Cls likes pandas. Northern schools generally like herbivores. Stanford likes mythical creatures.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:06 am

sophia.olive wrote:I read these studies. If you didn't go to hyp then it comes down to whether or not your school mascot was a carnivore or herbivore. Southern schools like carnivores and horses. Cls likes pandas. Northern schools generally like herbivores. Stanford likes mythical creatures.
It might be because it's 2am, but I lol'ed

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:16 am

James Bond wrote:
Is this guy serious? :lol:
Of course joking. Fordham is awesome. I mean OS is there, and she is a legend for getting rankings from penn station.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 am

JustDude wrote:
Well played JustDude. Thank you for providing me with some humor tonight-and I thought you were going to disappoint. However, I didn't know JustDude was an elitist snob haha

And is it just me, or is there a little romance blossoming between James Bond and OperaSoprano?

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:21 am

sophia.olive wrote:I read these studies. If you didn't go to hyp then it comes down to whether or not your school mascot was a carnivore or herbivore. Southern schools like carnivores and horses. Cls likes pandas. Northern schools generally like herbivores. Stanford likes mythical creatures.
This made me LOL. Which is also how I know I'm exhausted and need to get off of tls.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:22 am

cdd_04 wrote:And is it just me, or is there a little romance blossoming between James Bond and OperaSoprano?
Hah what? OS is simply a nice person. I like nice people.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:23 am

cdd_04 wrote:
JustDude wrote:
Well played JustDude. Thank you for providing me with some humor tonight-and I thought you were going to disappoint. However, I didn't know JustDude was an elitist snob haha

And is it just me, or is there a little romance blossoming between James Bond and OperaSoprano?
You didnt expect me to be elitist snob?.. Thats weird

On the other hand, as you could have seen, I have respect for toilet scrubbers. Could it be because I was one?

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:24 am

James Bond wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:And is it just me, or is there a little romance blossoming between James Bond and OperaSoprano?
Hah what? OS is simply a nice person. I like nice people.
Responded with a giggle (that was a giggle) and a question. There is DEFINITELY a romance blossoming. I support you. Let's turn TLS into an online lawyer dating site. Or at least Ken will form TLS-Dating.com (inspired by James Bond and OS) haha.

I like nice people too, no shame.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:27 am

JustDude wrote:
You didnt expect me to be elitist snob?.. Thats weird

On the other hand, as you could have seen, I have respect for toilet scrubbers. Could it be because I was one?
This is true; how else could you get away with half the crap you say? haha Either way, I am thoroughly entertained.

Have you ever considered starting your own site or blog? I think (read: guarantee) it would be a hit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”