Konichiwa!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
reasonabledoubt

Konichiwa!

Postby reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:23 pm

There's a lot of talk of "biglaw" on these threads, and if you look at the office locations of any reasonably large law firm, they of course have them all over the globe.

The economy is becomming more integrated, globalized, etc.... and the world, it's resources, products, food, technology and widgets are distributed more and more through huge multi-nationals than ever before.

If law is going to keep up with business, which it has to, international law is going to be more and more "en vogue."

How should we start preparing as 0L's and all throughout law school to position ourselves for these global law jobs? I don't know about you... but it would be wicked to live/work in London, Tokyo, Mumbai, Moscow, Hong Kong, etc. for a few years.

Working overseas - who has info on this topic?

Dōmo arigatō!

zILch

Re: Konichiwa!

Postby zILch » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:35 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:There's a lot of talk of "biglaw" on these threads, and if you look at the office locations of any reasonably large law firm, they of course have them all over the globe.

The economy is becomming more integrated, globalized, etc.... and the world, it's resources, products, food, technology and widgets are distributed more and more through huge multi-nationals than ever before.

If law is going to keep up with business, which it has to, international law is going to be more and more "en vogue."

How should we start preparing as 0L's and all throughout law school to position ourselves for these global law jobs? I don't know about you... but it would be wicked to live/work in London, Tokyo, Mumbai, Moscow, Hong Kong, etc. for a few years.

Working overseas - who has info on this topic?

Dōmo arigatō!

Postby 20121109 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:41 pm

My semi-Asian status aside, I'm pretty obsessed with Japanese culture and I hope to work in a law firm that has an office in Tokyo. A lot of schools offer study abroad opportunities and even the possibility of cross-registration to further enhance foreign language proficiency.

jonnodotsg

Postby jonnodotsg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Last edited by jonnodotsg on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:54 pm

I knew it was only a matter of time before international law would be all the rage again.

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm a little wary of this. I thought it would be so cool to study abroad as well but business law is already globalized right? You can do work for a firm in Tokyo in Austin. You don't have to live in that county...in fact, why would they want you to?

jonnodotsg

Postby jonnodotsg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Last edited by jonnodotsg on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:20 pm

I have a couple of friends working in Tokyo w/ V30 firms. They all have the following characteristics:

1) Land a job with a V30 firm
2) Worked in the U.S. with their respective firms for 1-2 years
3) Fluent in Japanese and / or ties to Japan

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”