How will a school know that money is not a factor?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pollaclc

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby pollaclc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:09 am

they might like to have students with money b/c that translates to families that will donate...i know my ug & my sister's call/mail my house (and presumably every student's house) at least once every few months looking for a handout. alumni with the funds to make big donations play a big part in keeping universities in business.

it's pretty childish to get so angry and bitter over the fact that other people have the savings to afford them more education.....

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:10 am

kittenmittons wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
Hammurabi wrote:I really don't get it. Why do we hate rich people?

We don't. We hate rich people who try to say that they deserve things over people are are more qualified than they are simply on the basis of them being rich.

You made the argument that a rich person, if anything, deserved it less simply on the basis of them being rich.

An argument that I stand by. The key phrase is "if anything". I think that the OP's claim is completely ridiculous because "if anything" it should be the complete reverse and she should be grateful that it isn't.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:13 am

pollaclc wrote:they might like to have students with money b/c that translates to families that will donate...i know my ug & my sister's call/mail my house (and presumably every student's house) at least once every few months looking for a handout. alumni with the funds to make big donations play a big part in keeping universities in business.

it's pretty childish to get so angry and bitter over the fact that other people have the savings to afford them more education.....

Sounds like another person is ignoring what I'm saying. For the record my parents paid for every cent of my undergraduate education. This has nothing to do with me disliking people who benefit from being rich. I simply think that the benefits of having money shouldn't extend to bias in the admissions process. And I can't comprehend how anyone could possibly in their right mind disagree with that.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:13 am

If poor people are so smart why are they so poor?

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:13 am

bceagles182 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:

We don't. We hate rich people who try to say that they deserve things over people are are more qualified than they are simply on the basis of them being rich.

You made the argument that a rich person, if anything, deserved it less simply on the basis of them being rich.

An argument that I stand by. The key phrase is "if anything". I think that the OP's claim is completely ridiculous because "if anything" it should be the complete reverse and she should be grateful that it isn't.

Arguments for moral desert on arbitrary metrics like wealth (and in general) are weak. Why do poors deserve it more than riches?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:17 am

bceagles182 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:

Arguments for moral desert on arbitrary metrics like wealth (and in general) are weak. Why do poors deserve it more than riches?[/quote]

I already made that argument. The answer is simply because generally the poorer person likely had to work harder to get where they are. Regardless, again, I said "if anything" which means that I don't necessarily believe that it should be that way. The point here is that it absolutely shouldn't be the reverse.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:18 am

bceagles182 wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:

Arguments for moral desert on arbitrary metrics like wealth (and in general) are weak. Why do poors deserve it more than riches?

I already made that argument. The answer is simply because generally the poorer person likely had to work harder to get where they are. Regardless, again, I said "if anything" which means that I don't necessarily believe that it should be that way. The point here is that it absolutely shouldn't be the reverse.[/quote]

If they worked harder to get to the same place they are less efficient. It is simple physics.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:18 am

bceagles182 wrote:I already made that argument. The answer is simply because generally the poorer person likely had to work harder to get where they are. Regardless, again, I said "if anything" which means that I don't necessarily believe that it should be that way. The point here is that it absolutely shouldn't be the reverse.

I agree with your overall conclusion, but the bolded is a silly assumption.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:20 am

bceagles182 wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:

I already made that argument. The answer is simply because generally the poorer person likely had to work harder to get where they are. Regardless, again, I said "if anything" which means that I don't necessarily believe that it should be that way. The point here is that it absolutely shouldn't be the reverse.[/quote]

If they worked harder to get to the same place they are less efficient. It is simple physics.[/quote]

Except for the fact that the majority of the wealth in this country is inherited.

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:20 am

danielle77 wrote:How can I make the school aware of this financial backing other than not applying for aid and paying for all applications?

Ju$t $ubmit a per$onal $tatement like thi$ and they'll get the gi$t.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:22 am

kittenmittons wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:I already made that argument. The answer is simply because generally the poorer person likely had to work harder to get where they are. Regardless, again, I said "if anything" which means that I don't necessarily believe that it should be that way. The point here is that it absolutely shouldn't be the reverse.

I agree with your overall conclusion, but the bolded is a silly assumption.

Fair enough. I didn't mean in every case but we can agree to disagree.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:23 am

To answer the OP, the federal government backs loans for the total cost of attendance for everyone, so just about every american can afford law school without financial aid. And most schools don't give out aid.

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:If poor people are so smart why are they so poor?

lifestyle choice

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

If they worked harder to get to the same place they are less efficient. It is simple physics.

And you're a physics major? Poor people often have more obstacles to overcome, less help, and fewer opportunities. The fact that they are able to achieve the same or similar results as someone with more advantages would indicate that they are more "efficient," not less. It would be similar to two swimmers racing. One races with the best friction killing equipment money can buy while the other races in regular swimming trunks and pockets full of pennies. If they both reach the goal around the same time, the one with a more difficult path might have worked "harder" but not less efficiently.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:53 pm

swc65 wrote:Desert Fox wrote- "If they worked harder to get to the same place they are less efficient. It is simple physics."

And you're a physics major? Poor people often have more obstacles to overcome, less help, and fewer opportunities. The fact that they are able to achieve the same or similar results as someone with more advantages would indicate that they are more "efficient," not less. It would be similar to two swimmers racing. One races with the best friction killing equipment money can buy while the other races in regular swimming trunks and pockets full of pennies. If they both reach the goal around the same time, the one with a more difficult path might have worked "harder" but not less efficiently.

Electrical engineering. You suck at detecting trolling Bronocchio.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
swc65 wrote:Desert Fox wrote- "If they worked harder to get to the same place they are less efficient. It is simple physics."

Electrical engineering. You suck at detecting trolling Bronocchio.

Oh OK, I am glad you were kidding. Also, maybe a little too far with the Bro prefixes? er, Brofixes. Nope that doesn't work.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:18 pm

danielle77 wrote:I have applied to some schools and I was wondering if they consider being able to pay full price into admission decisions. [strike]I have been lucky enough to have wealthy supportive parents who are willing to foot the bill for school. How can I make the school aware of this financial backing other than not applying for aid and paying for all applications? Does it even matter?[/strike] I just took the Feb LSAT, so if i do a lot better than my previous 168 I may apply last minute to some other places. Are there specific schools that like my parents money (ex. a school where not needing money of any sort plays a positive role in the admissions process)?

$Thanks!$

"LOL HAI GUISE. I got dem moneys and I wanna get into teh lawl schoolz. LULZ!!! Which lawl school can I buy myself into? lulz"

fixed

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:37 pm

danielle77 wrote:$Thanks!$

Classy.

gochrisgo

Postby gochrisgo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:56 pm

_
Last edited by gochrisgo on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:04 pm

send them a duffle bag full of cash with $$$ etched on the front, they'll get the picture

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:07 pm

ITT: poor people complain that OP is rich and they're not

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Last edited by thegor1987 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:37 pm

swc65 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Pennies = $$ that could be spent on better equipment = inferiority complex unnecessarily holding back the poor when it could be applied beneficially.

Good analogy Brobo Cop

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:37 pm

I am guessing they could tell by your socio-economic status (parent's occupations etc...)

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:46 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:
swc65 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Pennies = $$ that could be spent on better equipment = inferiority complex unnecessarily holding back the poor when it could be applied beneficially.

Good analogy Brobo Cop

Friction killing machine...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”