How will a school know that money is not a factor? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Borhas

Platinum

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Post by Borhas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:45 pm

swimbrad wrote:ITT: poor people complain that OP is rich and they're not
rich people are TTT
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Oh My...I read the OP and thought "this will be some tasty flame."

People who have participated: will I be disappointed if I read the whole thing?

danielle77

New

Post by danielle77 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:58 pm

thegor1987 wrote:OP Make this your personal statement:

In the event of my acceptance to University X my father will buy me a Audi A5, brand new, silver with black leather interior.
You see, the A5 experience begins with a 211 horsepower turbocharged engine DOHC Aluminun 2.0 Liter with FSI direct fuel injection, and variable intake valve timing for most efficient acceleration. The design and careful attention to detail make this car a true inspiration. Therefore, regardless of any scholarship opportunities I will have no choice but to accept an offer of admission.
As I have obviously demonstrated above, I am highly qualified to attend University X Law School and have a strong desire to become a lawyer.
oh if the admissions process were that logical... i think my current yet similar car is more badass than that one by the way and i couldnt even imagine driving anything else but i am also a car fanatic. Anyways, when i applied to graduate schools (to small specific research based science programs though), the admissions people would call to see if paying for the program was feasible. They would not offer you a position if you could not pay for it. The faster it could be paid for, the faster the response time. I may be a horrible sleazy person for have asking the question, but many institutions of higher learning are more so!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:42 pm

danielle77 wrote:Anyways, when i applied to graduate schools (to small specific research based science programs though), the admissions people would call to see if paying for the program was feasible. They would not offer you a position if you could not pay for it. The faster it could be paid for, the faster the response time. I may be a horrible sleazy person for have asking the question, but many institutions of higher learning are more so!
Princeton and Caltech are notorious for this.

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:53 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:09 pm

The actual credited solution here would probably be a $10,000 donation to the school.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:24 pm

Kohinoor wrote:The actual credited solution here would probably be a $10,000 donation to the school.
+1 at least 10k... how else do you think Bush got into Yale.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:13 am

Ragged wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:The actual credited solution here would probably be a $10,000 donation to the school.
i would really hope it is much more to get significant movement, more like a cool million. otherwise the admissions process would be majorly rigged. many upper-class families can drop 10k, but only a practically insignificant number would be willing to drop a million. i don't care if 5-10 people get in this way but if it becomes like 100-200 that is BS.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:18 am

swimbrad wrote:ITT: poor people complain that OP is rich and they're not
i don't think anyone is quite complaining the OP is rich. that is great for her; she can get brand new cars, live it up with her friends, and whatever else she wants.

but education is not just another consumer good. it is in fact the gatekeeper to most high-prestige, high-paying careers in our country. if admissions were based on buying your way in, we would literally have a caste system in this country, where once you are born into a lower or middle class family you are pretty much guaranteed to not achieve a high status position.

while some might find that acceptable, i personally don't, and our nation's propaganda/value system is against it as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:33 am

englawyer wrote:
Ragged wrote:
i would really hope it is much more to get significant movement, more like a cool million. otherwise the admissions process would be majorly rigged. many upper-class families can drop 10k, but only a practically insignificant number would be willing to drop a million. i don't care if 5-10 people get in this way but if it becomes like 100-200 that is BS.
I'd guess it is more like 100K.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:42 am

danielle77 wrote:$Thanks!$
I really really REALLY hope this is a flame

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”