How will a school know that money is not a factor?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
danielle77
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:18 am

How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby danielle77 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:56 pm

I have applied to some schools and I was wondering if they consider being able to pay full price into admission decisions. I have been lucky enough to have wealthy supportive parents who are willing to foot the bill for school. How can I make the school aware of this financial backing other than not applying for aid and paying for all applications? Does it even matter? I just took the Feb LSAT, so if i do a lot better than my previous 168 I may apply last minute to some other places. Are there specific schools that like my parents money (ex. a school where not needing money of any sort plays a positive role in the admissions process)?

$Thanks!$

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:02 pm

it depends...is your parents money greener or crisper than that of the rest of the applicants or funds coming from the federal government, banks or other lending institutions?

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

danielle77 wrote:I have applied to some schools and I was wondering if they consider being able to pay full price into admission decisions. I have been lucky enough to have wealthy supportive parents who are willing to foot the bill for school. How can I make the school aware of this financial backing other than not applying for aid and paying for all applications? Does it even matter? I just took the Feb LSAT, so if i do a lot better than my previous 168 I may apply last minute to some other places. Are there specific schools that like my parents money (ex. a school where not needing money of any sort plays a positive role in the admissions process)?

$Thanks!$


a/s/l?

OP, how open are you to trophy husbands?

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Columbia asks if you plan on applying for financial aid on their application. It's hard to imagine it makes no difference.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:06 pm

kittenmittons wrote:a/s/l?

OP, how open are you to trophy husbands?


how could you forget....send pics

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Regardless of where the money is coming from, you can write a "Why X" essay for that school and state in it that you would be eager to attend if accepted and that you have already financed the cost of attending. That might play a small part, at least (though with most applicants the schools assume they're getting their money one way or another).

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby bceagles182 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Wait, so you're asking us how you can get into law school over other applicants who are more qualified than you because your parents (not even yourself mind you-- we're talking about your parents achievements-- not your own) have money and you're going to free-load off of them for another three years?

Seriously? How self-entitled can you possibly be?

User avatar
danielle77
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:18 am

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby danielle77 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:11 pm

hmm, i guess it can be more liquid than from other sources... oh well, i just hope that our test scores are released on time! Dumb ass blizzards ruining my application cycle!

User avatar
danielle77
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:18 am

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby danielle77 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:12 pm

bceagles182 wrote:Wait, so you're asking us how you can get into law school over other applicants who are more qualified than you because your parents (not even yourself mind you-- we're talking about your parents achievements-- not your own) have money and you're going to free-load off of them for another three years?

Seriously? How self-entitled can you possibly be?




Isnt this a forum for law school admissions advice? I was just wondering...

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby im_blue » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Unlike college, most students pay full price through parents, savings, or loans. Why would the law school care which it was? It'd be a different story if your parents donated large sums of money.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:21 pm

TTIWWP

User avatar
danielle77
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:18 am

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby danielle77 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:29 pm

The source was a factor for some schools undergrad, and MANY of the masters programs i applied to previously. i was curious to see if it played a role in the professional school realm. It seems the answer is NO.

Thanks y'all!

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby RVP11 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:32 pm

ConMan345 wrote:Columbia asks if you plan on applying for financial aid on their application. It's hard to imagine it makes no difference.


Uhh. No, it's not hard to imagine.

Schools often have questions on their applications that basically amount to: "should we put you on our e-mail list?"

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Other than having the money for school up front, what else are you willing to offer in order to secure a prestigious slot? Perhaps we could discuss this over dinner with a nice bottle of wine???

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:01 pm

bceagles182 wrote:Wait, so you're asking us how you can get into law school over other applicants who are more qualified than you because your parents (not even yourself mind you-- we're talking about your parents achievements-- not your own) have money and you're going to free-load off of them for another three years?

Seriously? How self-entitled can you possibly be?

Law school is going to be rough for you.

ScaredWorkedBored
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:24 am

Flame. 6/10. Would be better if you weren't simultaniously talking about how you are underqualified.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:54 am

If anything this should be a soft AGAINST you. This would promote economic diversity within the incoming class (believe me, self-entitled spoiled brats are NOT underrepresented at law school). Likewise, someone who has the same numbers as you without the benefits of growing up in a privileged home (daddy paying for undergrad, daddy payign for your SAT and LSAT prep courses, daddy paying for private tutors when your grades failed, daddy donating large sums of money to your undergraduate school to let you in) has probably worked MUCH harder to get where they are than you have.



And to the other fool who said that law school would be difficult for me, I disagree. If anything your average law school student body will be significantly more liberal than I am so my views on this particular subject will be well-received by most.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:55 am

ITT: Poors out themselves as bitter

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:58 am

America-- Where we go out of our way to keep the rich rich and the poor poor.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:02 am

Image

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:03 am

bceagles182 wrote:America-- Where we go out of our way to keep the rich rich and the poor poor.


kittenmittons wrote:ITT: Poors out themselves as bitter

User avatar
Hammurabi
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby Hammurabi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:05 am

I really don't get it. Why do we hate rich people?

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:05 am

kittenmittons wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:America-- Where we go out of our way to keep the rich rich and the poor poor.


kittenmittons wrote:ITT: Poors out themselves as bitter


That was an intentional response to you. It was intended for irony.

Image

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:06 am

Hammurabi wrote:I really don't get it. Why do we hate rich people?



We don't. We hate rich people who try to say that they deserve things over people are are more qualified than they are simply on the basis of them being rich.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: How will a school know that money is not a factor?

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:07 am

bceagles182 wrote:
Hammurabi wrote:I really don't get it. Why do we hate rich people?



We don't. We hate rich people who try to say that they deserve things over people are are more qualified than they are simply on the basis of them being rich.


You made the argument that a rich person, if anything, deserved it less simply on the basis of them being rich.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests