Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:23 pm

Wait I'm getting a URM boost for being Portuguese right?

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:Maybe because Puerto Rican and Latino is not a race. Puerto Ricans are White, Black, Taino, mestizo and a mixture of all.


This question will add a few more thread pages: What exactly is a "race," then?

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby am060459 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Wait I'm getting a URM boost for being Portuguese right?


those are rare. LSAT + 15 = your NEW score

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:25 pm

am060459 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Wait I'm getting a URM boost for being Portuguese right?


those are rare. LSAT + 15 = your NEW score


AWESOME 191 bitches.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
am060459 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Wait I'm getting a URM boost for being Portuguese right?


those are rare. LSAT + 15 = your NEW score


AWESOME 191 bitches.


156+15=171.

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby am060459 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
am060459 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Wait I'm getting a URM boost for being Portuguese right?


those are rare. LSAT + 15 = your NEW score


AWESOME 191 bitches.


wait. you cursed.

LSAT + 15 (URM boost) - 11 (cursing) = your NEW score

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 pm

am060459 wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:Maybe because Puerto Rican and Latino is not a race. Puerto Ricans are White, Black, Taino, mestizo and a mixture of all.



care to elaborate on those?


Taino- orginal people in PR more specific than Amerindian, sounds less paternalistic than native, mestizo- a mix between spanish and amerindian-what most latinos are, thus the stereotype.
Last edited by Joga Bonito on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm

am060459 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
am060459 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Wait I'm getting a URM boost for being Portuguese right?


those are rare. LSAT + 15 = your NEW score


AWESOME 191 bitches.


wait. you cursed.

LSAT + 15 (URM boost) - 11 (cursing) = your NEW score


FUCK 169

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby am060459 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:FUCK 169


LMBO (laughing my behind off)

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby am060459 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:33 pm

am060459 wrote:i think i can get my post count to 500 on this.



update: 500 - 388 = 112.



lets keep this going.

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:34 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:Maybe because Puerto Rican and Latino is not a race. Puerto Ricans are White, Black, Taino, mestizo and a mixture of all.


This question will add a few more thread pages: What exactly is a "race," then?


Well we are current or future law students and not biologist or geneticist but based on the way its used in American society at least, its primarily a "social construct".......cue firey verbal race war.

thread lock down in T minus 10 minutes.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:Maybe because Puerto Rican and Latino is not a race. Puerto Ricans are White, Black, Taino, mestizo and a mixture of all.


This question will add a few more thread pages: What exactly is a "race," then?


Well we are current or future law students and not biologist or geneticist but based on the way its used in American society at least, its primarily a "social construct".......cue firey verbal race war.

thread lock down in T minus 10 minutes.


White people smell.

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Image

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:42 pm

I feel sorry for you. Many people apply to law schools for the wrong purpose and very few back fire like it did to you. Hope your national origin helps you elsewhere. Keep trying.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby holydonkey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:48 pm

URM status seems like an honest mistake, but applying to Illinois with those numbers as a safety???

1) Don't apply anywhere you wouldn't consider attending. 2) If you violate rule one, don't brag about it. 3) If you violate rule two, Wharrrgarrrblll!

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 pm

holydonkey wrote:URM status seems like an honest mistake, but applying to Illinois with those numbers as a safety???

1) Don't apply anywhere you wouldn't consider attending. 2) If you violate rule one, don't brag about it. 3) If you violate rule two, Wharrrgarrrblll!



100 internet points to Dean Pless for waitlisting this dood. I have similar numbers/URM status but could never see myself attending UIUC- therefore no application to UIUC. I don't apply to random schools and see if they accept me just to boost my ego.

op can /self

latinolaw
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby latinolaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 pm

I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school.

latinolaw
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby latinolaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:URM status seems like an honest mistake, but applying to Illinois with those numbers as a safety???

1) Don't apply anywhere you wouldn't consider attending. 2) If you violate rule one, don't brag about it. 3) If you violate rule two, Wharrrgarrrblll!



100 internet points to Dean Pless for waitlisting this dood. I have similar numbers/URM status but could never see myself attending UIUC- therefore no application to UIUC. I don't apply to random schools and see if they accept me just to boost my ego.

op can /self


I AM (was) intereted in attending UIUC. But if I was accepted at BU and had $$ at Illinois, then, of course I would use it as leverage as I think anyone else would do.

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby am060459 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

latinolaw wrote:I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school.



interesting. reminds me of a flaw. can anyone point this out for some internet points?

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:06 pm

latinolaw wrote:[strike]I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school[/strike]Yes, you are all correct. I am a douche

latinolaw
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby latinolaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:11 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
latinolaw wrote:[strike]I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school[/strike]Yes, you are all correct. I am a douche


latinolaw wrote: reminds me of a flaw. can anyone point this out for some internet points?

User avatar
devilishangelrjp
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby devilishangelrjp » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:17 pm

latinolaw wrote:I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school.


But dear, you got the big head too soon...I mean, what made you think you were guaranteed an acceptance? This whole thread thing seems like a bit of an arrogance kick. You were waitlisted; although you may not believe it, life will go on.

latinolaw
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby latinolaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 pm

devilishangelrjp wrote:
latinolaw wrote:I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school.


But dear, you got the big head too soon...I mean, what made you think you were guaranteed an acceptance? This whole thread thing seems like a bit of an arrogance kick. You were waitlisted; although you may not believe it, life will go on.


Okay, granted. But will I get in to any other reasonable schools (T20)?? (That is all "life going on" means.)

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:21 pm

latinolaw wrote:Okay, granted. But will I get in to any other reasonable schools?? (That is all "life going on" means.)



--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 pm

devilishangelrjp wrote:
latinolaw wrote:I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school.


But dear, you got the big head too soon...I mean, what made you think you were guaranteed an acceptance? This whole thread thing seems like a bit of an arrogance kick. You were waitlisted; although you may not believe it, life will go on.


Thank you voice of reason...he didn't want to go to the school in the beginning so good job Pless on the YP. Same crap happened to me with schools that I thought I would def. get into...oh well...didn't really want to graduate from any of them anyway.
Last edited by Joga Bonito on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests