Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
latinolaw

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Postby latinolaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
latinolaw wrote:Okay, granted. But will I get in to any other reasonable schools?? (That is all "life going on" means.)

--ImageRemoved--

Why not? Because you think I made a mistake, that there is a flaw in my apps (which you have not read)? Or because you are just trying to be discouraging?

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:28 pm

latinolaw wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
latinolaw wrote:Okay, granted. But will I get in to any other reasonable schools?? (That is all "life going on" means.)

--ImageRemoved--

Why not? Because you think I made a mistake, that there is a flaw in my apps (which you have not read)? Or because you are just trying to be discouraging?

All of the above?

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:31 pm

latinolaw wrote:
devilishangelrjp wrote:
latinolaw wrote:I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school.

But dear, you got the big head too soon...I mean, what made you think you were guaranteed an acceptance? This whole thread thing seems like a bit of an arrogance kick. You were waitlisted; although you may not believe it, life will go on.

Okay, granted. But will I get in to any other reasonable schools (T20)?? (That is all "life going on" means.)

Depends on what other T20-T30 schools you applied too, maybe emory, washu, usc, fordham etc. cast your net long and wide and see what happens, maybe reapply next year really earlier and write a better diversity statement if you want them to consider your ethnic heritage more deeply.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Honestly I believe Op is a URM. If one of your parents is Mexican that makes you Mexican by birth, you can even go get a Mexican passport regardless of where you were born.

To me legally Mexican + legally American equals Mexican American which equals URM. No need to go on about the other ethnic origins of your family.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:46 pm

I was also WL at UIUC although I was admitted at NU. Shortly thereafter, I withdrew. My feeling is that it had a lot to do with YP and Administrative Burden. I also applied very late and had no real ties to the Illinois or Chicago.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm

latinolaw wrote:Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school.

"Based on the information contained in the passage, it is reasonable to infer that _____________."

A) OP is confused
B) OP got pwned
C) OPs who are confused experience pwnage
D) Deans should not pwn OPs who are confused
E) /thread

Use your techniques to select the proper answer.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:24 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing. 166-3.6

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:24 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
latinolaw wrote:Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school.

"Based on the information contained in the passage, it is reasonable to infer that _____________."

A) OP is confused
B) OP got pwned
E) /thread

I'd choose E, but that would only prove it to be wrong.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:29 pm

ccs1702 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

A) OP is confused
B) OP got pwned
E) /thread

:lol:

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Wait, was this all a really elaborate flame?

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:37 pm

mutfro wrote:
latinolaw wrote:3.54/163/URM

This makes no sense to me! Was it because I applied to late (complete in Jan.)? Any ideas?

maybe its because you don't know the difference between to and too :)

This might mean that he doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and "there" and "their."

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:38 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

A) OP is confused
B) OP got pwned
E) /thread

:lol:

Me-a Culpa

Postby Me-a Culpa » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:40 pm

FunkyJD wrote:

A) OP is confused
B) OP got pwned
E) /thread

Amazing....

latinolaw

Postby latinolaw » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:08 am

Luis Gomez wrote:Honestly I believe Op is a URM. If one of your parents is Mexican that makes you Mexican by birth, you can even go get a Mexican passport regardless of where you were born.

To me legally Mexican + legally American equals Mexican American which equals URM. No need to go on about the other ethnic origins of your family.

Thank you!

latinolaw

Postby latinolaw » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:11 am

chadwick218 wrote:I was also WL at UIUC although I was admitted at NU. Shortly thereafter, I withdrew. My feeling is that it had a lot to do with YP and Administrative Burden. I also applied very late and had no real ties to the Illinois or Chicago.

Thanks. This leaves me hope that I'll make it in to one of my top choices.

Also, to the rest of you assholes: UIUC didn't reject me, they waitlisted me. If the dean really had gone to all of that conspiratorial mess that you suggested, he would have flat out rejected me.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:33 am

latinolaw wrote:I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school.

This thread is:

A.) Epic
B.) Epic Facepalm
C.) Epic Troll
D.) Started by someone who needs to use spellcheck in Firefox.

I can't decide yet.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Panther7 wrote:

This thread is:

A.) Epic
B.) Epic Facepalm
C.) Epic Troll
D.) Started by someone who needs to use spellcheck in Firefox.

I can't decide yet.

B

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:02 pm

latinolaw wrote:Thanks. This leaves me hope that I'll make it in to one of my top choices.

Also, to the rest of you assholes: UIUC didn't reject me, they waitlisted me. If the dean really had gone to all of that conspiratorial mess that you suggested, he would have flat out rejected me.

I think you got waitlisted because you suck, not because of your LSN account.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:08 pm

Sorry but your heritage doesn't entitle you to acceptance everywhere you apply.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:57 pm

Why did I get waitlisted with a 166 3.6? I was hoping for money.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”