Why was I waitisted at UIUC? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Diamond

Re: Why was I waitisted at UIUC?

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:23 pm

Wait I'm getting a URM boost for being Portuguese right?

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:Maybe because Puerto Rican and Latino is not a race. Puerto Ricans are White, Black, Taino, mestizo and a mixture of all.
This question will add a few more thread pages: What exactly is a "race," then?

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Wait I'm getting a URM boost for being Portuguese right?
those are rare. LSAT + 15 = your NEW score

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:25 pm

am060459 wrote:
AWESOME 191 bitches.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
am060459 wrote:
AWESOME 191 bitches.
156+15=171.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
am060459 wrote:
AWESOME 191 bitches.
wait. you cursed.

LSAT + 15 (URM boost) - 11 (cursing) = your NEW score

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 pm

am060459 wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:Maybe because Puerto Rican and Latino is not a race. Puerto Ricans are White, Black, Taino, mestizo and a mixture of all.

care to elaborate on those?
Taino- orginal people in PR more specific than Amerindian, sounds less paternalistic than native, mestizo- a mix between spanish and amerindian-what most latinos are, thus the stereotype.
Last edited by Joga Bonito on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm

am060459 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
am060459 wrote:
AWESOME 191 bitches.
wait. you cursed.

LSAT + 15 (URM boost) - 11 (cursing) = your NEW score
FUCK 169

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:FUCK 169
LMBO (laughing my behind off)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:33 pm

am060459 wrote:i think i can get my post count to 500 on this.

update: 500 - 388 = 112.

lets keep this going.

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:34 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Well we are current or future law students and not biologist or geneticist but based on the way its used in American society at least, its primarily a "social construct".......cue firey verbal race war.

thread lock down in T minus 10 minutes.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Well we are current or future law students and not biologist or geneticist but based on the way its used in American society at least, its primarily a "social construct".......cue firey verbal race war.

thread lock down in T minus 10 minutes.
White people smell.

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:42 pm

I feel sorry for you. Many people apply to law schools for the wrong purpose and very few back fire like it did to you. Hope your national origin helps you elsewhere. Keep trying.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:48 pm

URM status seems like an honest mistake, but applying to Illinois with those numbers as a safety???

1) Don't apply anywhere you wouldn't consider attending. 2) If you violate rule one, don't brag about it. 3) If you violate rule two, Wharrrgarrrblll!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 pm

holydonkey wrote:URM status seems like an honest mistake, but applying to Illinois with those numbers as a safety???

1) Don't apply anywhere you wouldn't consider attending. 2) If you violate rule one, don't brag about it. 3) If you violate rule two, Wharrrgarrrblll!

100 internet points to Dean Pless for waitlisting this dood. I have similar numbers/URM status but could never see myself attending UIUC- therefore no application to UIUC. I don't apply to random schools and see if they accept me just to boost my ego.

op can /self

latinolaw

New

Post by latinolaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 pm

I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

latinolaw

New

Post by latinolaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:URM status seems like an honest mistake, but applying to Illinois with those numbers as a safety???

100 internet points to Dean Pless for waitlisting this dood. I have similar numbers/URM status but could never see myself attending UIUC- therefore no application to UIUC. I don't apply to random schools and see if they accept me just to boost my ego.

op can /self
I AM (was) intereted in attending UIUC. But if I was accepted at BU and had $$ at Illinois, then, of course I would use it as leverage as I think anyone else would do.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 pm

latinolaw wrote:I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school.

interesting. reminds me of a flaw. can anyone point this out for some internet points?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:06 pm

latinolaw wrote:[strike]I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school[/strike]Yes, you are all correct. I am a douche

latinolaw

New

Post by latinolaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:11 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
latinolaw wrote:[strike]I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

Also, almost everyone with decent numbers on LSN applies to schools that they are not necessarily interested in attending. Their motive for doing so should be irrelevant. And if the dean of admissions would actually go to the extent of investigating whether or not his/her studens were actually serious about attening, rather than simply trying to attrack the most talented students (regardless of their preferences), than they are running a camp, not a law school[/strike]Yes, you are all correct. I am a douche
latinolaw wrote: reminds me of a flaw. can anyone point this out for some internet points?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:17 pm

latinolaw wrote:I do no consider where I grew up the reason why I am an URM. The fact that one of my parents is Mexican and that I was born in the US is, I think, a valid URM qualification. I AM Mexican-American. My unique experiences and under-represented ethnicity can justifiably be quantified by the usage of the URM status.

But dear, you got the big head too soon...I mean, what made you think you were guaranteed an acceptance? This whole thread thing seems like a bit of an arrogance kick. You were waitlisted; although you may not believe it, life will go on.

latinolaw

New

Post by latinolaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 pm

devilishangelrjp wrote:

But dear, you got the big head too soon...I mean, what made you think you were guaranteed an acceptance? This whole thread thing seems like a bit of an arrogance kick. You were waitlisted; although you may not believe it, life will go on.
Okay, granted. But will I get in to any other reasonable schools (T20)?? (That is all "life going on" means.)

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:21 pm

latinolaw wrote: Okay, granted. But will I get in to any other reasonable schools?? (That is all "life going on" means.)

--ImageRemoved--

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 pm

devilishangelrjp wrote:

Thank you voice of reason...he didn't want to go to the school in the beginning so good job Pless on the YP. Same crap happened to me with schools that I thought I would def. get into...oh well...didn't really want to graduate from any of them anyway.
Last edited by Joga Bonito on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”