Graduating early?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zephyr36

Graduating early?

Postby zephyr36 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:46 pm

I'll be graduating 2 quarters early (I'll be finished in December of this year). I was just wondering how much this weighed in on admission decisions? I'll have completed two majors and a minor with my GPA hovering around 3.95 (so it's not like I rushed through and failed everything). Does doing this less than 4 years have an effect at all?

manbearwig

Re: Graduating early?

Postby manbearwig » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:51 pm

zephyr36 wrote:I'll be graduating 2 quarters early (I'll be finished in December of this year). I was just wondering how much this weighed in on admission decisions? I'll have completed two majors and a minor with my GPA hovering around 3.95 (so it's not like I rushed through and failed everything). Does doing this less than 4 years have an effect at all?

I doubt it would have any real effect. If anything, it might be a slight positive soft that you're motivated. But really it'll probably just be neutral.

What you then want to do, to really stand out, is something during that time to give you some kind of work experience, volunteering, something. That's where graduating early can help you.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:52 pm

I AP'd out of a whole year. Adcoms don't seem to care, and I don't know why they would unless you demonstrate immaturity.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:54 pm

manbearwig wrote:
zephyr36 wrote:I'll be graduating 2 quarters early (I'll be finished in December of this year). I was just wondering how much this weighed in on admission decisions? I'll have completed two majors and a minor with my GPA hovering around 3.95 (so it's not like I rushed through and failed everything). Does doing this less than 4 years have an effect at all?

I doubt it would have any real effect. If anything, it might be a slight positive soft that you're motivated. But really it'll probably just be neutral.

What you then want to do, to really stand out, is something during that time to give you some kind of work experience, volunteering, something. That's where graduating early can help you.

That's the plan. My worry is that since I'll be applying in next fall's cycle that whatever experience I get in the following 6-9 months won't really be reflected on my application.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:54 pm

I legitimately think graduating a year early had an adverse effect on my cycle, but who knows. With your gpa I'm sure you'll be fine.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Other than getting you an extra year to jump-start on something else, I really don't think that it will have any positive impact on your cycle.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:56 pm

holybartender wrote:I legitimately think graduating a year early had an adverse effect on my cycle, but who knows. With your gpa I'm sure you'll be fine.

Why? Was it circumstances specific to you?

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:57 pm

I don't think it was a major factor, but I'm sure they'd be the tiniest bit leery with someone who graduated at 20. I think the bigger issue was that it was in conjunction with my splitterness, so a low gpa + young caused some pause.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:58 pm

holybartender wrote:I legitimately think graduating a year early had an adverse effect on my cycle, but who knows. With your gpa I'm sure you'll be fine.

I can concur ... even with a strong GPA, it arguably cast a level of immaturity ... indeed, you are at least 1 year and at many schools 3 years younger than the average student.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:00 pm

ill be graduating this august ill be 21. i never thought this would be considered a negative on my apps. Is it just an immaturity thing or..?

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:01 pm

In terms of doing and internship/work in between graduating and law school should I try to focus on getting something legal-oriented? I've made a few contacts that have mentioned that they could likely help me getting an internship working for a very well-known senator. If I did something law-oriented it would probably be a standard internship at a generic law firm.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:01 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

I can concur ... even with a strong GPA, it arguably cast a level of immaturity ... indeed, you are at least 1 year and at many schools 3 years younger than the average student.

So, for the OP he will be applying at the same time as he would have been had he graduated on time. So, in this case, the age won't matter as much.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:02 pm

nick637 wrote:ill be graduating this august ill be 21. i never thought this would be considered a negative on my apps. Is it just an immaturity thing or..?

Most people who apply directly out of UG will be 21 going on 22.

Olive

Postby Olive » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Do you all think there was anything you could have done/did to negate that negative impact? WE, internships, etc.?

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Good god take the Senate internship. You can't do anything at a law firm as a non-law student that would really mean anything.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:04 pm

manbearwig wrote:
nick637 wrote:ill be graduating this august ill be 21. i never thought this would be considered a negative on my apps. Is it just an immaturity thing or..?

ok thats not too bad then, ill be just turning 21. prob. not a big deal..i hope

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:04 pm

manbearwig wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

So, for the OP he will be applying at the same time as he would have been had he graduated on time. So, in this case, the age won't matter as much.

Indeed. I think that the benefit will not come from graduating early, but from what you plan to do b/w graduation and law school ... granted it will only be a minor soft, but it is something that you can sell nonetheless.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:22 pm

nick637 wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

ok thats not too bad then, ill be just turning 21. prob. not a big deal..i hope

When I start law school, l will still be 20. Can't go out at night with the big kids :(

I feel your pain.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:28 pm

holybartender wrote:Good god take the Senate internship. You can't do anything at a law firm as a non-law student that would really mean anything.

I'm definitely leaning towards the senate internship, but my worry is that I will be starting this internship, theoretically, in January or so. My apps will all be in by then, so my experience won't really be reflected on my app.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Interning for a senator will get you much better connections, give you a much better experience, and be something that very few people can ever do. It's the type of thing that is a conversation starter, that people interviewing you will take notice and probably ask a few questions, giving you an opportunity to highlight yourself. Filing papers or delivering mail or whatever menial tasks you can do at a law firm aren't the types of things you're going to remember in a few years, nor is it impressive.

As for your applications, I think you're approaching the issue backwards. You should do what you want to do and feel passionate about and then display that on an application, not follow some artificial steps that you think would be "best for my application." Regardless, I don't think it'd be unfair of you to indicate on your resume that you'll be beginning an internship with Senator Strom Thurman as long as you do something in the interval. Volunteer, work a part time job, or my recommendation: travel.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:38 pm

holybartender wrote:Interning for a senator will get you much better connections, give you a much better experience, and be something that very few people can ever do. It's the type of thing that is a conversation starter, that people interviewing you will take notice and probably ask a few questions, giving you an opportunity to highlight yourself. Filing papers or delivering mail or whatever menial tasks you can do at a law firm aren't the types of things you're going to remember in a few years, nor is it impressive.

As for your applications, I think you're approaching the issue backwards. You should do what you want to do and feel passionate about and then display that on an application, not follow some artificial steps that you think would be "best for my application." Regardless, I don't think it'd be unfair of you to indicate on your resume that you'll be beginning an internship with Senator Strom Thurman as long as you do something in the interval. Volunteer, work a part time job, or my recommendation: travel.

Strom Thurmond would love to have you. You'll have to die first, though. So, yes you will need something to do in the interval. It will be a long interval.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:40 pm

eandy wrote:Strom Thurmond would love to have you. You'll have to die first, though. So, yes you will need something to do in the interval. It will be a long interval.

Well, he didn't mention who it was, so I like to believe he's going to be an intern necromancer.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Graduating two years early is not having a negative or positive effect on my cycle... it is going 100% according to where my numbers predict it should be going.

eandy wrote:When I start law school, l will still be 20. Can't go out at night with the big kids :(

I feel your pain.

This is going to be the worst part!!

holybartender wrote:Interning for a senator will get you much better connections, give you a much better experience, and be something that very few people can ever do. It's the type of thing that is a conversation starter, that people interviewing you will take notice and probably ask a few questions, giving you an opportunity to highlight yourself. Filing papers or delivering mail or whatever menial tasks you can do at a law firm aren't the types of things you're going to remember in a few years, nor is it impressive.

Bolded is the only reason to intern there. I have been in DC for two years now and with all the internship here in DC I do not advise anyone but freshmen to work in a congressional office. Besides it looking good on your resume, they are 100% intern mills. All interns do is file papers, letters, answer calls, and take notes on occasion. I'd bet you could find a much better internship in terms of valuable experience.

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:23 pm

You'll only be a semester early, so your age won't be a factor, negating the immaturity argument. I graduated a semester early, too, and it had no effect on my cycle--I was accepted at the schools one would expect with my numbers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”