Advice on an additional LoR...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LSHPFL10

Advice on an additional LoR...

Postby LSHPFL10 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:50 pm

To cut to the chase, I have been waitlisted at a couple of schools that I wish to send an additional letter of recommendation to. The letter itself outlines some work experience that I have that may help to differentiate me somewhat as a candidate - thus, I think it could be helpful.

However, my only reservation is this: the letter is written by an individual who has retired from my former place of employment fairly recently (though he held a very high poisition there), and, although it outlines some unique job duties I had, it isn't (as I have been told) necessarily written with the eloquence or skill that a professor-written letter normally is written with.

I am sort of on the fence about how to go about this. Please provide me with any advice you think would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

sapp

Re: Advice on an additional LoR...

Postby sapp » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:54 pm

If your options are that letter or nothing, send it.

If your options are that letter or a different one, pick which ever one is best.

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:06 pm

One of my professional LOR's wasn't written particularly eloquently from what I saw (I only saw a draft though, but I doubt the final draft was much improved based on other things I've seen this person write). At first I had reservations about sending it, but I did and it doesn't seem to have hurt me. My thought is a professional LOR is mostly going to comment on work ethic, character, professional success, and this doesn't have to be done with extremely high-caliber or eloquent writing (it wouldn't necessarily even be expected as much from a professional source as an academic one). Having said that, as the previous poster said, I'd go with a better-written one over a badly-written one, but if it's the badly-written one or nothing, then I think use it.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys.

Anyone else care to comment on their advice??

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:55 pm

LSHPFL10 wrote:Thanks a lot for the replies, guys.

Anyone else care to comment on their advice??

Bump.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:35 am

sapp wrote:If your options are that letter or nothing, send it.

If your options are that letter or a different one, pick which ever one is best.

I agree with the previous two posters. Adcomms aren't evaluating your recommender's writing skills, they're looking at what YOU have accomplished and what potential YOU have to be a law student. View your recommender's letter for its content.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”