Did I hurt myself by not...?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vacations

Did I hurt myself by not...?

Postby vacations » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Hello everybody,

Just like everyone, I'm still waiting for responses from schools. I'm been thinking if I really did myself injustice by not adding an addendum about my LSAT scores. I took the exam three times - with my second try being my highest score, however my third try was actually my lowest score. There was a one year gap in between all exams. I did not include an addendum about this - Should I have done so?

I figured I'd "let the scores speak for themselves" and abide by the schools stating they will consider my highest score. I didn't want to sound like I was making excuses for my third try because I simply just had a really bad test day Lately, with all this anxiety going on waiting to hear back from schools...I'm second guessing my apps a bit =/

What do you guys think? Many thanks for the input.

monkeyboy

Re: Did I hurt myself by not...?

Postby monkeyboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:03 pm

vacations wrote:Hello everybody,

Just like everyone, I'm still waiting for responses from schools. I'm been thinking if I really did myself injustice by not adding an addendum about my LSAT scores. I took the exam three times - with my second try being my highest score, however my third try was actually my lowest score. There was a one year gap in between all exams. I did not include an addendum about this - Should I have done so?

I figured I'd "let the scores speak for themselves" and abide by the schools stating they will consider my highest score. I didn't want to sound like I was making excuses for my third try because I simply just had a really bad test day Lately, with all this anxiety going on waiting to hear back from schools...I'm second guessing my apps a bit =/

What do you guys think? Many thanks for the input.

Good question.

Threepeat

Postby Threepeat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:08 pm

How signficant of a drop are we talking about?

vacations

Postby vacations » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:10 pm

I received my scores in this order:

157, 159, 154

Thanks for the thoughts everybody.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:12 pm

vacations wrote:I received my scores in this order:

157, 159, 154

Write an addendum. If the scores speak for themselves I have questions, so I'd imagine adcoms would as well. It isn't too late to submit. Just call and say you'd like to include an additional item and they will add it to your file. Keep it brief, though.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:13 pm

157, 159, 154

Schools that take 159's aren't picky and won't care.

Threepeat

Postby Threepeat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

157, 159, 154

Schools that take 159's aren't picky and won't care.

+1 I think since there isn't a huge difference in your scores (your score band from your first score would be 154-160) you probably don't have to worry about an addendum. It probably wouldn't make any difference if you submitted one or not.

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:33 pm

I submitted an addendum but I also had an 11 point difference (154 and 165, two months apart).

Even in my situation, I was hesitant to send one and really wanted to 'let the scores speak for themselves'. I think because your scores are so close together, an addendum really isn't necessary.

twopoodles

Postby twopoodles » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:35 pm

I don't think those numbers would warrant explanation. I'd attach something though and say "Yeah, basically I wasted my money taking the test over and over." :)

GoldenBear125

Postby GoldenBear125 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:06 am

twopoodles wrote:I don't think those numbers would warrant explanation. I'd attach something though and say "Yeah, basically I wasted my money taking the test over and over." :)

"...and time/life/mental health/etc"

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:57 am

I had the exact situation. First was a cancel, second was my highest, and my third was lower than the 2nd. I wrote an addendum once I saw my score and explained the situation which did warrant an addendum and wasn't an excuse. I should've canceled but it was my last available LSAT and didn't really see the point, plus I was testing way above my second score so i hoped that even if i had a bad test i still had a chance of scoring higher than my second lsat.

I do believe (and hope) that the scores will speak for themselves. If you have a good reason as to why your score declined then explain it in an addendum, if not then let it ride. School's will obviously see your upward trend and that you thought you were capable of scoring even higher, therefore hopefully justifying your third try. People have bad days and bad tests.

Legalite

Postby Legalite » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:48 pm

I don't think you are hurt by not adding one; since I don't think it matters for the majority of applicants anyways. Perhaps just call up the admission office and ask if you should?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”