What is BIGLAW?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eandy

Re: What is BIGLAW?

Postby eandy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:56 pm

los blancos wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Biglaw is where you go if you want to have any worth as a lawyer and as a person.

Is this a serious comment?

No, it's a jealous one.

+1 T14_Scholly is a troll. Look at his other posts.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:58 pm

If work at your law firm is not generally described as the following then it is not biglaw:

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Joga Bonito on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:16 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:If work at your law firm is not generally described as the following then it is not biglaw:

--ImageRemoved--

Don't kid yourself... your statement is better said: If work at your law firm is not generally described as the following then it is not a LAW FIRM.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:38 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Image

If Your law office looks like the above picture, its safe to say you do not work in biglaw.

Generally speaking, biglaw is a firm with more than about 200 lawyers, with more than one major office that pays the "market rate," i.e. the highest that anyone can reasonably expect to earn in a particular jurisdiction. In NY, if your starting salary is not 160K, exclusive of bonus, you do not work in biglaw.

Did you pull that definition out of your @$$?

No. I pulled it from my 6 years of experience working in mid-sized law firms in NYC (2 of which as an attorney). Please explain to me how my definition is defective. I would LOVE to hear this...

It's not that your definition is defective, it's that there is no concrete definition.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:42 pm

I believe that Biglaw is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Big Law? Obligatory. I'm HUGE GLOBAL LAW bound. If you're not HGL, you're a chump.
Big Law? Pfft.... you missed a spot on my shoes. They're Berlutis.

Shot007

Postby Shot007 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:10 pm

Big-Law = A place where your likelihood of getting in diminishes the lower your school is ranked

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:35 pm

ccs1702 wrote:I believe that Biglaw is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.

/thread.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Shot007 wrote:Big-Law = A place where your likelihood of getting in diminishes the lower your school is ranked

Isn't this every single job?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:12 pm

I thought it was an erectile dysfunction drug.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:37 pm

FunkyJD wrote:I thought it was an erectile dysfunction drug.

Got BIGLAW?

--ImageRemoved--

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:53 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:If work at your law firm is not generally described as the following then it is not biglaw:

--ImageRemoved--

Don't kid yourself... your statement is better said: If work at your law firm is not generally described as the following then it is not a LAW FIRM.

That's not true at all. Large factory firms where you're nothing more than the guy on the line that screws on toothepaste caps are like this. There are plenty of firms where you are more than just a number. One of my professors is a partner in one.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:09 pm

scionb4 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

That's not true at all. Large factory firms where you're nothing more than the guy on the line that screws on toothepaste caps are like this. There are plenty of firms where you are more than just a number. One of my professors is a partner in one.

Okay well if your a partner at a big firm and a law prof. maybe not, but all of us are a long way from freedom, we'll have to work several years before we see the promised land.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Okay well if your a partner at a big firm and a law prof. maybe not, but all of us are a long way from freedom, we'll have to work several years before we see the promised land.

Show me a career in our service based economy that isn't like that.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:19 pm

scionb4 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Okay well if your a partner at a big firm and a law prof. maybe not, but all of us are a long way from freedom, we'll have to work several years before we see the promised land.[/quote]

Show me a career in our service based economy that isn't like that.[/quote]

I never argued that work in investment banking or consulting weren't really bad too, either way thats beside the point, i a said Biglaw is like slavery and it is and so is the bottom ranks of Ivestment banking and consulting etc.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:09 pm

scionb4 wrote:That's not true at all. Large factory firms where you're nothing more than the guy on the line that screws on toothepaste caps are like this. There are plenty of firms where you are more than just a number. One of my professors is a partner in one.

I hope this is a joke.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:37 am

Bronte wrote:
scionb4 wrote:That's not true at all. Large factory firms where you're nothing more than the guy on the line that screws on toothepaste caps are like this. There are plenty of firms where you are more than just a number. One of my professors is a partner in one.

I hope this is a joke.

Dang it I didn't catch that one, its a joke, now that totally makes sense, please disregard my rebuttle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”