Why not provide a status checker?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
reebtoor

Why not provide a status checker?

Postby reebtoor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:59 am

I just can't see why a school wouldn't. It would have reduce calls to the admissions office. Plus, by providing a status checker, the school gets daily exposure. Can anybody tell me why not? (I may or may not be frustrated with certain schools that don't).

MURPH

Re: Why not provide a status checker?

Postby MURPH » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:02 am

They derive pleasure from our frustration.

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:44 am

That's server space they would have to pay for and maintain (or pay the LSAC to pay for and maintain.)

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:01 am

MURPH wrote:They derive pleasure from our frustration.

This.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:38 am

same reason girls never tell you what they think

check LS admission: Dating thread

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:48 am

It's more administrative work on their end.

The vast majority of applicants just wait. I would bet that not too many call or email asking for a status update. With the schools I applied to that didn't have a status checker, most gave some sort of timeline anyway. If they say "expect 6 weeks for a decision," then I will just wait.

I don't see why "daily exposure" really does anything for the school. Just because you can check the status doesn't make the school any more popular or attact better applicant.

Some of the status checkers don't really tell much anyway.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:03 am

Borhas wrote:same reason girls never tell you what they think

check LS admission: Dating thread

Because most don't?

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:24 pm

It makes sense from their end to fend off annoying phone calls, but I don't know why even bother checking these things. All they tell me is that my applications are "under review," whatever that means. I might find out if a decision was made a few days before getting the letter, but I won't know what that decision is. It's definitely more for their benefit than ours.

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:17 pm

hsprophet wrote:
I don't see why "daily exposure" really does anything for the school. Just because you can check the status doesn't make the school any more popular or attact better applicant.

When acceptances and rejections start rolling in, applicants are forming opinions about schools. If I go weeks without thinking about a particular school, I'm less likely to choose it than those whose websites/propaganda I am viewing every day.

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:06 am

reebtoor wrote:When acceptances and rejections start rolling in, applicants are forming opinions about schools. If I go weeks without thinking about a particular school, I'm less likely to choose it than those whose websites/propaganda I am viewing every day.

I see what you mean. When I think about it, I do have a better impression about a school that has an online status checker and communicates during the application process vs. the schools that just send a letter in the mail that says "we received your application and don't expect to hear from us for three months."

chango

Postby chango » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:26 am

Why can't status checkers be more like this?

http://www.dominos.com/home/tracker/pizzatracker.jsp

runn3rs

Postby runn3rs » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:39 am

reebtoor wrote:
hsprophet wrote:

When acceptances and rejections start rolling in, applicants are forming opinions about schools. If I go weeks without thinking about a particular school, I'm less likely to choose it than those whose websites/propaganda I am viewing every day.

+1 For whatever reason, I definitely have gotten more excited about some schools just by constantly checking my status with them online. Its a really small thing and I wonder how much it actually effects matriculation rates.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:08 am

j.wellington wrote:It makes sense from their end to fend off annoying phone calls, but I don't know why even bother checking these things. All they tell me is that my applications are "under review," whatever that means. I might find out if a decision was made a few days before getting the letter, but I won't know what that decision is. It's definitely more for their benefit than ours.

Though I'm sure its not the intended use of the status checkers, sometimes TLS has been able to deduce what decisions will be before they arrive. If everyone in the thread for a particular school says "DR 2/11, and my numbers are below the 25ths/medians," then it's pretty clear that it'll be a batch of rejections. This was my situation when I went DR at Georgetown last month, and it was nice to know not to get my hopes up for a wait list or PT admit.

Also some schools do give decisions via status checker, or so I've heard.

Still, checking most of them is about our own neurosis then about getting any real knowledge from them.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:32 pm

Georgia tells you via status checker that you have been admitted. W&M will say "Congrats! Admit packet mailed" under mailings.

South Carolina drives me crazy because they don't have a status checker and the very surly lady that picks up the phone gets very angry when people call and ask about their apps, even if they have never called before.

pa.wink

Postby pa.wink » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 pm

I got my Berkeley decision via status checker

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:38 pm

To relieve us of anxiety!

....or not.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”