ATL reports on school application volumes Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
miamiman

Silver

ATL reports on school application volumes

Post by miamiman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:09 pm

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most ... ols-2010-2

mich up 25%. Duke up 22%. Cornell up 50% (this we knew, granted)

Yet vandy flat. U of C up modestly. UC B modest increase as well.

How do you explain these? Illinois/indiana are obvious...the others

T_Easy

New

Re: ATL reports on school application volumes

Post by T_Easy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:22 pm

Every article on that website seemed to engage in lawyer-bashing.

Shot007

New

Post by Shot007 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:23 pm

miamiman wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most ... ols-2010-2

mich up 25%. Duke up 22%. Cornell up 50% (this we knew, granted)

Yet vandy flat. U of C up modestly. UC B modest increase as well.

How do you explain these? Illinois/indiana are obvious...the others
Dang, my late application to Illinois is not looking so good now

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:23 pm

UVA is up about 8% this year (that's above and beyond last year's 20% surge).

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:51 pm

vanwinkle wrote:UVA is up about 8% this year (that's above and beyond last year's 20% surge).
Which supports my belief that UVA is not, in fact, trying to raise their LSAT median to a 171. They took way too many sub-median/170 EDs to make that a realistic goal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:37 am

im_blue wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:UVA is up about 8% this year (that's above and beyond last year's 20% surge).
Which supports my belief that UVA is not, in fact, trying to raise their LSAT median to a 171. They took way too many sub-median/170 EDs to make that a realistic goal.
UVA isn't trying to raise their medians because more people applied?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:22 am

I think that the reason has a lot to do with people applying to multiple schools and cycle becoming less predictive than before. Indeed, it is not uncommon for someone to target 75% of the T20.

Interestingly enough, the # of applicants to NU has declined in recent years. I think that the reason is pretty self-explanatory though ... :wink:

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:30 am

chadwick218 wrote:I think that the reason has a lot to do with people applying to multiple schools and cycle becoming less predictive than before. Indeed, it is not uncommon for someone to target 75% of the T20.

Interestingly enough, the # of applicants to NU has declined in recent years. I think that the reason is pretty self-explanatory though ... :wink:
?

joshhoward

Bronze

Post by joshhoward » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:31 am

chadwick218 wrote:Interestingly enough, the # of applicants to NU has declined in recent years. I think that the reason is pretty self-explanatory though ... :wink:
...help me out. i'm slow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:35 am

im_blue wrote:
Lol, Wut?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:37 am

Kohinoor wrote:
im_blue wrote:
It would take a lot more than an 8% increase in applications to raise their LSAT median.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:41 am

im_blue wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
im_blue wrote:
It would take a lot more than an 8% increase in applications to raise their LSAT median.
8% is about 650 more applications. That is not insignificant. For you to make a statement like that you would need to know how close UVA was to a 171 median last year. What if they were only 5 171s away?

Your statement cannot be proven to be true without knowing how close they were last year.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:45 am

kingabraham3 wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:Interestingly enough, the # of applicants to NU has declined in recent years. I think that the reason is pretty self-explanatory though ... :wink:
-steep application fee + implicit work-experience requirements (IMO, has deterred many otherwise would-be applicants)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:50 am

jawsthegreat wrote:8% is about 650 more applications. That is not insignificant. For you to make a statement like that you would need to know how close UVA was to a 171 median last year. What if they were only 5 171s away?

Your statement cannot be proven to be true without knowing how close they were last year.
Sure, my statement cannot be proven true, but I'm saying it seems likely given an 8% increase, and the fact that they accepted many 3.85+/169- and 3.84-/170 applicants this cycle, which forms a very similar wall as the last cycle.

Also, if UVA had maximized their class numbers efficiently last year (a reasonable assumption), they wouldn't be a few 171s away from bumping up their LSAT median. They would have decided to stick to the 170 median and then raise the GPA median as high as possible given that constraint. Put another way, if they had a lot of extra 171s, they should have traded them in for high GPAs to get a 3.86 or 3.87 median GPA (it would take about 13 high-GPA students to move the GPA median by 0.01). Given that 3.85/169-'s were taken ED this year, I strongly suspect that UVA's medians will stay put this year.

Consider CCN, which all have LSAT medians 1-2 points higher than UVA but lower GPA medians, which is not a coincidence. They've decided to stick to a 171-172 median and then maximize GPA based on that constraint, and the best they could do is a 3.7ish. A 171 LSAT median would instantly vault UVA to the 3rd best numbers behind HY, and that's just not happening with an 8% increase in applications.
Last edited by im_blue on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doodsmack

Bronze

Post by Doodsmack » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:56 am

The number of applicants this cycle has only increased 1.5%. That, in my view, makes the figures showing increases in applications insignificant.

But I'm interested to see how the increase in applications at top schools affects waitlist activity.

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:00 am

chadwick218 wrote:
kingabraham3 wrote:
-steep application fee + implicit work-experience requirements (IMO, has deterred many otherwise would-be applicants)
This is true, I didn't bother applying specifically because of that. Although, I also didn't apply to UofC. Maybe I just don't want to go to school in the Windy City.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 am

Doodsmack wrote:The number of applicants this cycle has only increased 1.5%. That, in my view, makes the figures showing increases in applications insignificant.

But I'm interested to see how the increase in applications at top schools affects waitlist activity.
But an increase in applications still makes the cycle more competitive. Having a larger applicant pool gives top schools greater ability to cherry-pick the best applicants, who might otherwise have only applied to a local school and not been as competitive. It used to be that a lot of people would just apply to the schools in the state they wanted to practice, no matter how good their numbers were. Now a lot of people are applying to all the top schools to see what will happen, and that's giving those top schools more people to cherry-pick from and fight with each other over, which helps raise medians and shut out lesser candidates even further.

In essence, the cream rises to the top, at the expense of the rest of us.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:26 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:The number of applicants this cycle has only increased 1.5%. That, in my view, makes the figures showing increases in applications insignificant.

But an increase in applications still makes the cycle more competitive. Having a larger applicant pool gives top schools greater ability to cherry-pick the best applicants, who might otherwise have only applied to a local school and not been as competitive. It used to be that a lot of people would just apply to the schools in the state they wanted to practice, no matter how good their numbers were. Now a lot of people are applying to all the top schools to see what will happen, and that's giving those top schools more people to cherry-pick from and fight with each other over, which helps raise medians and shut out lesser candidates even further.

In essence, the cream rises to the top, at the expense of the rest of us.
but there are still limited number of students and there is also no significant increase in the actual bodies that will take the seats. It might get more competitive at top tier schools, but I don't think it's as bad as you think.

jelizabeth88

New

Post by jelizabeth88 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:27 am

chadwick218 wrote:
kingabraham3 wrote:
+1 Deterred me for sure.

Also my chances of getting into duke are looking even dimmer with that 22% increase in applications. oh well.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:29 am

T_Easy wrote:Every article on that website seemed to engage in lawyer-bashing.
the guy who runs ATL - Elie Mystal is a disenchanted former biglaw associate. basically he went to Harvard, ran up a ton of debt, got a biglaw job, and only then realized that he didnt want to be a lawyer. He made a big mistake and now he runs a blog dedicated to letting the world know of his mistake.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:32 am

Why are applications at some top schools up in the single digits (berkeley, ucla, georgetown) and others up 20-50% (Mich, Duke, Cornell)? And what does that mean for Mich, Duke, Cornell/any other top schools that didn't report but have had the increase?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:33 am

SandyC877 wrote:but there are still limited number of students and there is also no significant increase in the actual bodies that will take the seats. It might get more competitive at top tier schools, but I don't think it's as bad as you think.
The quality of applicants is increasing, though. With the 20% increase in LSAT takers this year there were (assuming this year's tests followed statistical models) enough 170+s given out this year that, for the first time, the T14 could all fill their classes entirely with 170+ students if they wanted.

They don't do this in part because they also greatly value high GPAs and not too many people have both; they also don't do this in part because some cash those 170+ scores in for $$$ at lower-ranked schools. But even if the number of applicants is staying relatively constant, there's a growing number of people who are qualified for seats at the top schools, and combining that with the increased number of applications means that those top schools can easily cherry-pick the best classes possible.

Look at what's happening this year. A whole slew of 170+ splitters started getting WL'd or dinged at UVA after applying ED. In prior years that was almost a guaranteed acceptance, but this year they got so many that they finally had the luxury of turning a bunch of them away.

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 am

What do you make of the theory that this will result in a game of musical chairs whereby being waitlisted is not a death sentence, but rather a truly wait and see proposition? With top applicants applying to many T20-T30 schools as "safety schools" it would seem that acceptances given those people will result in the wait listing of many otherwise likely admits. Is it likely that schools in the 20-30 range will see a rather high percentage of their top candidates simply attend higher ranked schools, leaving them scrambling to admit waitlisted applicants?

That is not my theory, obviously. Somebody else mentioned the possibility of that happening, and you may have been alluding to that with the above comment, Doodsmack. What do you guys think?

joshhoward

Bronze

Post by joshhoward » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:29 am

chadwick218 wrote:
kingabraham3 wrote:
+2. i applied to every t14 except for Northwestern, but in order for that to be the reason for a decline, it has to be the case that those requirement have gotten tougher over the last few years/their fee has gone up (more than others). perhaps you know that to be so, but you have not made that claim.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:51 am

kingabraham3 wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
kingabraham3 wrote:
+2. i applied to every t14 except for Northwestern, but in order for that to be the reason for a decline, it has to be the case that those requirement have gotten tougher over the last few years/their fee has gone up (more than others). perhaps you know that to be so, but you have not made that claim.
Or they're becoming more and more known for being the school that emphasizes experience.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”