Appealing a Rejection?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Margaret Cavendish

Appealing a Rejection?

Postby Margaret Cavendish » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:12 pm

New to this forum. Has anyone ever appealed a rejection? Is it even possible? What is the process like?

BarCliff

Re: Appealing a Rejection?

Postby BarCliff » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Reply to the law school with a letter titled "Rejection of Rejection," and inform them that they were wrong in denying admissions and that they are going to award you a full scholarship.

Lawschoolman

Postby Lawschoolman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:19 pm

It's like appealing a grade. You could try, but your odds of success are slim to none.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Is this a serious question?

Margaret Cavendish

Postby Margaret Cavendish » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:21 pm

I am guessing from all of your responses that appealing a decision is unlikely to be successful if it is even possible. And yes, it is a serious question. I was actually looking for advice from someone who has been through the appeal process.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Margaret Cavendish wrote:I am guessing from all of your responses that appealing a decision is unlikely to be successful if it is even possible. And yes, it is a serious question. I was actually looking for advice from someone who has been through the appeal process.

I've heard of people doing it with a new higher LSAT. But it didn't go over well.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Doesnt UT Austin have an official process where you can appeal your rejection based on "new information" (ie LSAT score)?

Margaret Cavendish

Postby Margaret Cavendish » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Margaret Cavendish wrote:I am guessing from all of your responses that appealing a decision is unlikely to be successful if it is even possible. And yes, it is a serious question. I was actually looking for advice from someone who has been through the appeal process.

I've heard of people doing it with a new higher LSAT. But it didn't go over well.

Did the schools that they were accepted to care that they requested an appeal from a different school? Or did it just not go over well as in they were reconsidered then denied?

iShotFirst- Thanks. I have no idea, I will look into that although it is not for UT Austin.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:30 pm

There is no "appeals" process. That's like trying to appeal to a company that doesn't hire you and has already filled the position.

HeelsforHoos

Postby HeelsforHoos » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Margaret Cavendish wrote:New to this forum. Has anyone ever appealed a rejection? Is it even possible? What is the process like?

I have never appealed a rejection. You could apply in a subsequent year? I think nearly every school allows people to re-apply next year and submit higher LSAT scores, different letters of recommendation, more work experience, etc. I think that's about as close to an appeal as you can get.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:39 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Doesnt UT Austin have an official process where you can appeal your rejection based on "new information" (ie LSAT score)?

Yes they do, I'm 100% sure of it.

They tell you about it, but warn that it's only for significant new information (new LSAT, super soft, etc...)

evergirl23

Postby evergirl23 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:42 pm

You can appeal a rejection at certain schools, but only with significant new information (e.g. a new, much higher LSAT score), but even then its a very slim chance and you will be waiting for a decision on your appeal far into the summer. Moreover, I would think you would need to be prepared to pay sticker for the school in question.

If you really want to appeal AND you have a valid reason for doing so, contact the school and ask them what their process, if any, is.

Margaret Cavendish

Postby Margaret Cavendish » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks everyone for the information! I suppose I am more interested in the process than whether or not it is possible. I have searched this site for information on appeals and while it has a wealth of information on other aspects of the admissions process, information on appeals is scarce.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:16 pm

You can hire an entire team of ridiculously expensive law school consultants who will spend the next 6 month doing absolutely nothing but sitting outside the home of the admission dean of the school of your choice pointing a sub-sonic wafer echoing the sentence "admit xxxx" until either the Dean goes completely insane or were force to admit you for his/her sanity.

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:17 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:You can hire an entire team of ridiculously expensive law school consultants who will spend the next 6 month doing absolutely nothing but sitting outside the home of the admission dean of the school of your choice pointing a sub-sonic wafer echoing the sentence "admit xxxx" until either the Dean goes completely insane or were force to admit you for his/her sanity.

this

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:54 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:You can hire an entire team of ridiculously expensive law school consultants who will spend the next 6 month doing absolutely nothing but sitting outside the home of the admission dean of the school of your choice pointing a sub-sonic wafer echoing the sentence "admit xxxx" until either the Dean goes completely insane or were force to admit you for his/her sanity.

I think a better use of said funds would be to make a large donation to the school and then ask to be reconsidered....

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:00 am

OK, listen. This is what I did...I was rejected at a school last cycle, didn't matter at the time, I wanted, and went, somewhere else. Didn't work out. I called said school this year, asked, "what can I do to make my application more appealing? I really want to go to your school." They invited me to meet with the dean of admissions. He took one look at me and said..why didn't you give us a diversity essay? All we wanted was to know more about you." I also re-took my lsat. Just went complete and am waiting to hear...

Go for it!

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:34 am

if u didn't even make their waitlist, then why would they even dream of reconsidering, save for the "new information" thing.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm

they weren't my top choice, applied too last to be waitlisted, it was a last minute thing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”