U Mich. vs. Duke vs. Northwestern

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which Would You Prefer?

U of Virginia
10
15%
University of Michigan
35
51%
Northwestern University
10
15%
Duke
13
19%
 
Total votes: 68

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: U Mich. vs. Duke vs. Northwestern

Postby im_blue » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:24 am

stratocophic wrote:
im_blue wrote:A 3.68/172 is smack dab in YP territory for UVA, especially for nonresidents. If you check LSN, the acceptance rate is ~20% for this range.


I don't know that it's a sure case of YP at this level. I feel that the definition of median causes anyone above one number and below the other to be considered as a splitter. That's the only way they get a median GPA that high short of an insane balancing act of WL admits. A 171 3.85 could potentially have a better chance for admission than a 175 3.6 due to their system.

Edit: If you take a look at LSN, there's a blatantly obvious border around ding territory. Aside from URMs, I was unable to find a single acceptance with both 3.85> 170>. URMs in that box may get off the WL in the summer, as may people with exceptional softs, but I'd almost guarantee that no one else in it will. It seems like a soft reject.


It is a sure case of YP because those 20% that get in with similar numbers (say 3.5-3.7/172-174) are offered scholarship money (which borderline admits certainly don't get), while the vast majority of the other 80% are waitlisted (giving the applicant ample opportunity to demonstrate interest through a LOCI).

EDIT: Moreover, applicants in this range are exactly the kind of splitters that NYU accepts in droves, which causes UVA to YP them.
Last edited by im_blue on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: U Mich. vs. Duke vs. Northwestern

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:26 am

im_blue wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
im_blue wrote:A 3.68/172 is smack dab in YP territory for UVA, especially for nonresidents. If you check LSN, the acceptance rate is ~20% for this range.


I don't know that it's a sure case of YP at this level. I feel that the definition of median causes anyone above one number and below the other to be considered as a splitter. That's the only way they get a median GPA that high short of an insane balancing act of WL admits. A 171 3.85 could potentially have a better chance for admission than a 175 3.6 due to their system.

Edit: If you take a look at LSN, there's a blatantly obvious border around ding territory. Aside from URMs, I was unable to find a single acceptance with both 3.85> 170>. URMs in that box may get off the WL in the summer, as may people with exceptional softs, but I'd almost guarantee that no one else in it will. It seems like a soft reject.


It is a sure case of YP because those 20% that get in with similar numbers (say 3.5-3.7/172-174) are offered scholarship money (which borderline admits certainly don't get), while the vast majority of the other 80% are waitlisted (giving the applicant ample opportunity to demonstrate interest through a LOCI).


Fair point. Didn't check the $ on LSN.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests