How detrimental is this likely to be for my applications?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Robert398

How detrimental is this likely to be for my applications?

Postby Robert398 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:28 am

I am essentially a first-gen college student from a family without a strong tradition of heading to college right out of high school. Growing up in this environment, after high school I did not go straight to a four year university; instead, I worked for several years (including some relatively interesting work experience involving a lot of community interaction), while taking a few courses at the local junior college. Eventually, I began to learn more about the world and the opportunities available and enrolled in university, where I spent the last three years completing my degree. I did do well, final GPA was 3.95 - 4.0, and I graduated MCL. The school I attended is a fairly good one (a 'good public').

Anyway, everything else, LORs, softs, etc. are reasonably solid, and I see the above as the main potential negative in my application - basically, I'm concerned about my transcripts, which show that I took a few classes per year during the period in which I was working before heading off to the uni (where I went full time, 12-18+ hours almost every semester).

I believe my personal statement helps to illustrate the above and helps tie things together in terms of why and how I took the particular path I did, but I am concerned about this nonetheless. Any thoughts on how detrimental this is likely to actually be?

prezidentv8

Re: How detrimental is this likely to be for my applications?

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:30 am

Robert398 wrote:I am essentially a first-gen college student from a family without a strong tradition of heading to college right out of high school. Growing up in this environment, after high school I did not go straight to a four year university; instead, I worked for several years (including some relatively interesting work experience involving a lot of community interaction), while taking a few courses at the local junior college. Eventually, I began to learn more about the world and the opportunities available and enrolled in university, where I spent the last three years completing my degree. I did do well, final GPA was 3.95 - 4.0, and I graduated MCL. The school I attended is a fairly good one (a 'good public').

Anyway, everything else, LORs, softs, etc. are reasonably solid, and I see the above as the main potential negative in my application - basically, I'm concerned about my transcripts, which show that I took a few classes per year during the period in which I was working before heading off to the uni (where I went full time, 12-18+ hours almost every semester).

I believe my personal statement helps to illustrate the above and helps tie things together in terms of why and how I took the particular path I did, but I am concerned about this nonetheless. Any thoughts on how detrimental this is likely to actually be?

dont trip on that. smash lsat and you win.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:31 am

Robert398 wrote:I am essentially a first-gen college student from a family without a strong tradition of heading to college right out of high school. Growing up in this environment, after high school I did not go straight to a four year university; instead, I worked for several years (including some relatively interesting work experience involving a lot of community interaction), while taking a few courses at the local junior college. Eventually, I began to learn more about the world and the opportunities available and enrolled in university, where I spent the last three years completing my degree. I did do well, final GPA was 3.95 - 4.0, and I graduated MCL. The school I attended is a fairly good one (a 'good public').

Well dude given that I read all that and I still don't know what you think could be detrimental to your app, I'd say you're solid.

Robert398

Postby Robert398 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:35 am

Thanks both of you. Basically, I'm concerned about my transcripts, which indicate that I was taking only a few courses per year for several during this earlier period before I went to a university.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:36 am

Robert398 wrote:Thanks both of you. Basically, I'm concerned about my transcripts, which indicate that I was taking only a few courses per year for several during this earlier period before I went to a university.

Don't be. No one cares, at least not in a negative sense. But seriously, make sure to smash the living crap out of the LSAT and enjoy New Haven.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:38 am

Robert398 wrote:Thanks both of you. Basically, I'm concerned about my transcripts, which indicate that I was taking only a few courses per year for several during this earlier period before I went to a university.

Many people do this just to save tuition/bank some money before going to a "real" school. I cant imagine it will be an issue, especially f you have a reason. Of course, Im not an adcom. Consider calling some schools and asking?

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:17 am

I only imagine it would be an issue if you did badly in those classes. If the GPA is consistent with what you obtained later, I don't see how it could hurt.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:36 am

i don't see a negative, i see something to build on for a PS.

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 am

The only way this will affect your law school applications is positively.

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:52 am

+1 to everyone...

Seriously, MCL is a 3.95? That is harsh.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:02 am

booboo wrote:+1 to everyone...

I always thought at all schools 4.0 is the only SCL and reserved for 2-3 people a year... Only on TLS did I find out different.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:18 am

sounds like a positive to me

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:00 am

englawyer wrote:sounds like a positive to me

+1

Prolly a diversity statement topic in there somewhere too if you want to write your PS about something else.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:04 am

This is probably more of an asset for you than a detriment.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:58 am

Kakarot wrote:
booboo wrote:+1 to everyone...

I always thought at all schools 4.0 is the only SCL and reserved for 2-3 people a year... Only on TLS did I find out different.

At UF SCL is reserved for 2-3 people per year, but it is based on your senior thesis. The only GPA requirement is 3.5. I will likely gracuate MCL, as my thesis isn't going to provide a cure for cancer or end world hunger.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”