Question concerning NU interview

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thecubiclelife

Question concerning NU interview

Postby thecubiclelife » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:59 pm

I have my interview with Northwestern on Friday morning. I'm flying from PHL -> MDW on Thursday night for it, but I'm a little worried and need some input.

Due to Snowmageddon Part 2, flights on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning have already been canceled. Also, the snow storm in Philly is supposed to last until Wednesday at midnight. You might ask, "Why do you care? You're flying out Thursday night!" However, if I've learned anything, I know that PHL freaks out about snow storms. The day after Snowmageddon Part 1, several people I know couldn't fly back into Philly because all the flights were canceled. PHL is very efficient, you see.

In short, there's a possibility that my Thursday flight might get canceled. Also, it's supposed to snow in Chicago in Friday, but who knows if that's really true. So, should I keep my flight and run the risk of a canceled flight? Or, should I switch to a flight on Friday morning and run the risk of that flight getting canceled and being late for my morning interview?

I just hope that I don't get stuck in Chicago. What a weekend to get stuck somewhere.

luckyjd

Re: Question concerning NU interview

Postby luckyjd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:00 am

thecubiclelife wrote:I have my interview with Northwestern on Friday morning. I'm flying from PHL -> MDW on Thursday night for it, but I'm a little worried and need some input.

Due to Snowmageddon Part 2, flights on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning have already been canceled. Also, the snow storm in Philly is supposed to last until Wednesday at midnight. You might ask, "Why do you care? You're flying out Thursday night!" However, if I've learned anything, I know that PHL freaks out about snow storms. The day after Snowmageddon Part 1, several people I know couldn't fly back into Philly because all the flights were canceled. PHL is very efficient, you see.

In short, there's a possibility that my Thursday flight might get canceled. Also, it's supposed to snow in Chicago in Friday, but who knows if that's really true. So, should I keep my flight and run the risk of a canceled flight? Or, should I switch to a flight on Friday morning and run the risk of that flight getting canceled and being late for my morning interview?

I just hope that I don't get stuck in Chicago. What a weekend to get stuck somewhere.

If you get stuck, I'm sure you can get a drunk Feinberg M1 to house you. They're having a huge test this Friday.
Can you try to change your interview to a later time (i.e. afternoon) and fly out early in the morning? It's probably better to not get stuck in Chicago, and I think cancelling your interview due to a flight cancellation won't be frowned upon.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:04 am

thecubiclelife wrote:I have my interview with Northwestern on Friday morning. I'm flying from PHL -> MDW on Thursday night for it, but I'm a little worried and need some input.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. If you're serious about the interview, you'd want to maximize your chance of being there and on time. Flying out Thursday does this because even if your flight were cancelled, there'd be some possibility of getting it rescheduled or rebooked--maybe even on another carrier.

Of course, also having applied to NU, my advice would be to get on the flight that would be impossible to reschedule if it were canceled. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, go on Thurs. No brainer.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 am

Any snow related delays will be cleared out by Thursday night. And Chicago is pretty good with handling snow.

How are you getting from Midway to NU law? That's a bitch of a trip.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:17 am

Drive. After living in Chicago and Phila for years, despite their exp with such weather they do def. freak out.....

thecubiclelife

Postby thecubiclelife » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:28 pm

luckyjd wrote:If you get stuck, I'm sure you can get a drunk Feinberg M1 to house you. They're having a huge test this Friday. Can you try to change your interview to a later time (i.e. afternoon) and fly out early in the morning?

LOL I have no idea what a Feinberg M1 is, but I'm going to have to say...no. :P

Also, I'm going to send an e-mail tonight to admissions (gah hate being stuck at work) and see if they'll be understanding of the situation. I hate to have to cancel, especially because I really did want to visit and get a +1 from the adcomm, but I guess we'll see.

autarkh wrote:I'm not sure I follow your logic. If you're serious about the interview, you'd want to maximize your chance of being there and on time. Flying out Thursday does this because even if your flight were cancelled, there'd be some possibility of getting it rescheduled or rebooked--maybe even on another carrier.

Yeah you'd think that would be true...but not so with PHL and snow storms. Even though the snow stops on Weds night, PHL is in such a horrible spot in terms of air traffic (smack dab between IAD and JFK) that most airlines have been known to cancel all of their flights the next day, making it difficult to switch. Also, I would be fighting against hundreds of other passengers for another flight, making a next day flight nearly impossible.

Desert Fox wrote:How are you getting from Midway to NU law? That's a bitch of a trip.

Is it? Jeez I didn't think so. Can't I just take the orange line, transfer to the red at Roosevelt and get off at Chicago? Then again, it's been a while since I've used the L. If that's bad, I might just pay up and take the Airport Express.

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Drive. After living in Chicago and Phila for years, despite their exp with such weather they do def. freak out.....

I was thinking about this, but traffic will probably be horrible between here and Chicago. I'd probably have to leave on Weds. in order to get there on time, which I can't because of the snow storm.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:31 pm

thecubiclelife wrote:
Is it? Jeez I didn't think so. Can't I just take the orange line, transfer to the red at Roosevelt and get off at Chicago? Then again, it's been a while since I've used the L. If that's bad, I might just pay up and take the Airport Express.

That will work but it might take a while. Better than wasting money on Airport Express. The red line station is within 5 minutes of the law building.

thecubiclelife

Postby thecubiclelife » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
thecubiclelife wrote:

That will work but it might take a while. Better than wasting money on Airport Express. The red line station is within 5 minutes of the law building.

Nice, thanks for the confirmation. Now if I can just get to Chicago...

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How are you getting from Midway to NU law? That's a bitch of a trip.

Easy peasy ... just take the orange line to the loop and grab a $7 cab from the loop to the school!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:35 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

Easy peasy ... just take the orange line to the loop and grab a $7 cab from the loop to the school!

You can also transfer to the red line and take the red line to Chicago. At Chicago, just walk east on Chicago Ave until you hit the lake.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”