(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Volo

Postby Volo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Hey all,

First time poster but I will get to the point.

I am a 4th year student with a 3.93 LSDAS GPA, however, I have tanked the LSAT 3 times running.

I took the June 2009 test and canceled because I was sick

I took the September 2009 test and received a score of a 154

I took the December 2009 test and received a score of a 159

I took all of these tests with VERY little prep as everyone around me said it was strictly an aptitude test. After doing some research I have come to discover that it is a learnable test and can be mastered. My plan was to study and take it again in June 2010 and apply early next year but LSAC informed me that I have maxed out my attemps? Is there anyway to bypass this limit? or am I just out of options?

Nom Sawyer

Re: 4

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:23 pm

Volo wrote:Hey all,

First time poster but I will get to the point.

I am a 4th year student with a 3.93 LSDAS GPA, however, I have tanked the LSAT 3 times running.

I took all of these tests with VERY little prep as everyone around me said it was strictly an aptitude test. After doing some research I have come to discover that it is a learnable test and can be mastered. My plan was to study and take it again in June 2010 and apply early next year but LSAC informed me that I have maxed out my attemps? Is there anyway to bypass this limit? or am I just out of options?

If you get a school to "sponsor" you, basically saying that they grant you permission to take the LSAT again then you can take it a 4th time. Other than that, you just have to wait for your first test to expire before you can take again. Try calling some admissions offices and asking them about the process.

Volo

Postby Volo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks for the tip. Have any particular schools been known to do this often? Any that I should specifically target?

Genki

Postby Genki » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:25 pm

Volo wrote:Thanks for the tip. Have any particular schools been known to do this often? Any that I should specifically target?

does your UG have a law school? If so, I would start there.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:56 am

With that GPA and a good score you will be in great shape. Sorry about all the bad information out there. even college advisors say that kind of nonsense. It is a shame. Really kick as on that test and you will be in at the T14.

Since you've gotten some bad advice before I'll share what I believe is good advice. Get copied of all three Powerscore Bibles. Read Pithypike's guide on the top of the LAT Preparation threads. If you are going to take a course Blueprint, Powerscore and Testmasters are best. Kaplan generally gets mixed reviews but their Master Series book is worth getting a copy of. Do all 60 Practice test. (BTW Testmaster's company is a bit weird but not really in a way that is bad for students.)

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:31 pm

MURPH wrote:With that GPA and a good score you will be in great shape. Sorry about all the bad information out there. even college advisors say that kind of nonsense. It is a shame. Really kick as on that test and you will be in at the T14.

Since you've gotten some bad advice before I'll share what I believe is good advice. Get copied of all three Powerscore Bibles. Read Pithypike's guide on the top of the LAT Preparation threads. If you are going to take a course Blueprint, Powerscore and Testmasters are best. Kaplan generally gets mixed reviews but their Master Series book is worth getting a copy of. Do all 60 Practice test. (BTW Testmaster's company is a bit weird but not really in a way that is bad for students.)

..must..not..comment...

Volo

Postby Volo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:57 pm

So far, no luck. Any insight anyone?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Volo wrote:So far, no luck. Any insight anyone?

No more insight to give. Start with schools in the "A's" and work through "Z". Unless you get a school to offer you a waiver, you'll be forced to either apply with the 159 or wait for the 2 years to pass.

jonas586

Postby jonas586 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Volo wrote:Hey all,

I took all of these tests with VERY little prep as everyone around me said it was strictly an aptitude test.

Ever heard the saying, fool me once, shame on you, fool me thrice, shame on me?

Volo

Postby Volo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:25 pm

I was hoping someone knew of a school that was particularly fond of giving out the waiver?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Do you have anywhere you can go work until June 2011? If so, you're probably better off doing this for a number of reasons. Firstly, it will distance yourself from your previous poor LSAT scores and allow you to build up your resume (this will help you during admissions and finding a job). Secondly, unless you can come up with a really compelling reason why a school should allow you to take the test again, they probably will not let you. At this point, all you can do is really wait. Find a job and start studying for the test when 2011 hits. Then, not only will you be well prepared, but you will be a more attractive overall candidate.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Volo wrote:Thanks for the tip. Have any particular schools been known to do this often? Any that I should specifically target?

any school will do it for u. just say you wanna apply to that school with a higher lsat.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:40 pm

how did you not realize after the first - or second - attempt that the question types were the same and could therefore probably be learned?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”