Notre Dame admission = arbitrary? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
letsdoit1982

Bronze

Notre Dame admission = arbitrary?

Post by letsdoit1982 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:21 pm

After looking at the LSN's graph for Notre Dame, it seems like this school is not as clear cut as other schools when it comes to acceptances, rejections, and waitlists. Does anyone know why this is? I'm not saying ND is as bad as Yale, but most other schools ranked alongside ND have a pretty set standard whereby if you have a certain LSAT/GPA, you're in.

rocross1

Bronze

Re: Notre Dame admission = arbitrary?

Post by rocross1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:27 pm

I will be going there next year and it was my top choice, that said I really looked into the admissions process there. From what I gather it is a whole applicant approach in which ones application is weighed not just on the numbers but on many other factors including public service, interest in the law, compatibility with the schools mission, and a "why ND essay?". For me this is why I want to go there, I believe what makes someone a good applicant is not just the #s.

letsdoit1982

Bronze

Post by letsdoit1982 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:34 pm

rocross1 wrote:I will be going there next year and it was my top choice, that said I really looked into the admissions process there. From what I gather it is a whole applicant approach in which ones application is weighed not just on the numbers but on many other factors including public service, interest in the law, compatibility with the schools mission, and a "why ND essay?". For me this is why I want to go there, I believe what makes someone a good applicant is not just the #s.
Same here. They look beyond number, but they still manage to have moderately high numbers. It's great when a school takes other things into account (softs), but I still want the school to be competitive.

What were some of your other reasons for choosing ND?

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:40 pm

letsdoit1982 wrote:
rocross1 wrote:I will be going there next year and it was my top choice, that said I really looked into the admissions process there. From what I gather it is a whole applicant approach in which ones application is weighed not just on the numbers but on many other factors including public service, interest in the law, compatibility with the schools mission, and a "why ND essay?". For me this is why I want to go there, I believe what makes someone a good applicant is not just the #s.
Same here. They look beyond number, but they still manage to have moderately high numbers. It's great when a school takes other things into account (softs), but I still want the school to be competitive.

What were some of your other reasons for choosing ND?
I have been admitted into several higher ranked schools, but I am of the thought that any t15-t25 are pretty similar. ND is in my opinion underrated and is only going up. That said, ND has always been my dream school I have wanted to go there and been a fan my whole life. The community feel that I got while visiting and seeing how welcoming they were to my wife(she can get an ND ID and season tickets to events), just confirmed my beliefs about the school. The new facilities are also great and the professors have a great rep. The job placement is also one of the best outside the T14.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:33 pm

Agree 100%....I have a low 150's LSAT (because of some really bad health problems that culminated during LSAT process...PM if you wanna hear gruesome details), but I have some crazy unique extra's that they liked. Also, get in with a professor in a field you want to work in - it will do wonders. I am currently wait listed, but the Dean of Admissions said that I am by no means a long shot. I love this school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”