Will these softs make any noticeable difference?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jason8821

Will these softs make any noticeable difference?

Postby jason8821 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:30 pm

I just got hired for another term with Americorps. This will be my second. I also am interning with a local state representative at the same time. Also I have a fairly consistent record of volunteer work, and played college football as starter/captain senior year at a d3 school. As time goes on, I am starting to think I would like to work for a non-profit as public interest lawyer.

I know they are not amazing, but would they even boost my application at all vs the average applicant?

narkizopoint

Re: Will these softs make any noticeable difference?

Postby narkizopoint » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:43 pm

I think if an adcomm were looking at you and another applicant with the same numbers they would choose you (esp. if you mentioned an interest in your public service at a school known for public interest). Won't hurt you but wouldnt get you into yale with a 160 lsat

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:49 pm

This late in the cycle they won't get you anywhere. Try the beginning of the next cycle before they are tired and overwhelmed.

JakeLaMotta

Postby JakeLaMotta » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:51 pm

i think it will give you a slight bump over all the 'biglaw' cocksuckers.

jason8821

Postby jason8821 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. I certainly expect to get at least a 160 in June based on recent practice, but I have little desire to work in Big Law even if I thought the odds were good, I would rather take the LRAP and work as public defender/ lawyers w/out borders or some other non-profit. Also i plan on applying real early next semester.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”