Change Georgetown FT App to PT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NU_Jet55

Change Georgetown FT App to PT?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Last edited by NU_Jet55 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NU_Jet55

Re: Change Georgetown FT App to PT?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Bump...any advice would be hugely appreciated; please?

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:32 pm

You definitely would have more of a chance with part time, but I'm not sure you would have much of a chance. Take a look at the people accepted this cycle for part time, Georgetown seems to have tightened it's reins on the program and now it looks like you need numbers pretty close to full time numbers (168-169) to be accepted.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:35 pm

Where can I see the numbers for PT applicants this cycle?

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:36 pm

fwiw, this was my plan. I applied ED with marginal numbers. I called their office and asked if I could apply ED to the FT program and non-binding to the PT program, to which they basically laughed and said no we look at both programs relatively similarly. So I decided I would apply to FT ED and then when I got waitlisted I would tack on PT, unfortunately I got rejected and they will not consider adding me to the PT applicant pool.

In fairness, this is completely my fault for trying to game the system.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:43 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:Where can I see the numbers for PT applicants this cycle?

http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,8&type=jd

There were two people with numbers equal to or less than yours accepted, the rest were waitlisted or rejected. One accepted person already is located in DC, the other is a Georgetown Alum.

But screw it, if your app is in already I guess you might as well switch it. It will give you a better chance, and what do you have to lose.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:48 pm

nyyankees wrote:fwiw, this was my plan. I applied ED with marginal numbers. I called their office and asked if I could apply ED to the FT program and non-binding to the PT program, to which they basically laughed and said no we look at both programs relatively similarly. So I decided I would apply to FT ED and then when I got waitlisted I would tack on PT, unfortunately I got rejected and they will not consider adding me to the PT applicant pool.

In fairness, this is completely my fault for trying to game the system.

What are your numbers/where did you apply? Do you have an LSN site?

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:52 pm

I assume that if I change my app to PT that it will still be ED and I'd still have to accept if offered. Given my numbers, would Georgetown PT be better than, say WUSTL, Vandy, or UT Full Time?

donzoli

Postby donzoli » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:53 pm

Is it possible to switch into FT from the PT program at any point after starting?

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:01 pm

Yes it is possible, and in previous threads people seem to say that it is relatively easy, although I'm not sure I completely buy that. I would definitely attempt to transfer, but I would be okay with graduating from PT. I'm not sure, however, about how rankings and such would work if I were to transfer after my first year.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:10 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:I assume that if I change my app to PT that it will still be ED and I'd still have to accept if offered. Given my numbers, would Georgetown PT be better than, say WUSTL, Vandy, or UT Full Time?

It depends where you want to work as an attorney. But once again, none of those school are guarantees with your numbers. On LSP, they're listed as "considers". I would look more along the lines of USC, Washington, Emory, BU. Maybe throw an app to UCLA, they looooove those high GPAs.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:24 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:I assume that if I change my app to PT that it will still be ED and I'd still have to accept if offered. Given my numbers, would Georgetown PT be better than, say WUSTL, Vandy, or UT Full Time?

It depends where you want to work as an attorney. But once again, none of those school are guarantees with your numbers. On LSP, they're listed as "considers". I would look more along the lines of USC, Washington, Emory, BU. Maybe throw an app to UCLA, they looooove those high GPAs.

I didn't apply to USC/UCLA because I'm not a big fan of LA, I missed the deadline for Washington-Seattle, and I don't want to be limited to Georgia so I didn't apply to Emory. I did, however, apply to BU-I love Boston as well as Austin (TF UT). I also really like Nashville and St. Louis (TF Vandy, WUSTL). My preference would be to work in Boston/NYC/DC.

The reason I set up the GTown Part-time vs. WUSTL, Vandy, and UT is because those are the best schools I think I have a chance to get into that I applied to (also applied to UVA, Michigan, UC-Berkeley).

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:29 pm

I would switch to PT ASAP. Your numbers are both below FT medians, so that's basically an auto-rejection.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:30 pm

im_blue wrote:I would switch to PT ASAP. Your numbers are both below FT medians, so that's basically an auto-rejection.

A 3.9 is below the FT Median at Georgetown?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:37 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
im_blue wrote:I would switch to PT ASAP. Your numbers are both below FT medians, so that's basically an auto-rejection.

Ahh RC fail on my part :(. But in any case, Georgetown isn't particularly reverse splitter friendly - even a 3.9+/167 would be a major reach for FT.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:39 pm

im_blue wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

Ahh RC fail on my part :(. But in any case, Georgetown isn't particularly reverse splitter friendly - even a 3.9+/167 would be a major reach for FT.

Yeah that's what I thought, that's why I'm contemplating whether or not I should change my app and commit to GT via ED (TF losing any chance at full time WUSTL, Vandy, and UT).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”