What is your own personal cutoff for a TTT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
garfike

What is your own personal cutoff for a TTT?

Postby garfike » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Personally I view any school past 75th in the USNWR as TTT, but definitions vary. What say you?

jawsthegreat

Re: What is your own personal cutoff for a TTT?

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:31 pm

In

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:32 pm

May I ask what the point of this thread is?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:33 pm

dakatz wrote:May I ask what the point of this thread is?

Getting into a school ranked high 60s or low 70s and bashing the schools ranked below you.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:35 pm

OGR3 wrote:
dakatz wrote:May I ask what the point of this thread is?

Getting into a school ranked high 60s or low 70s and bashing the schools ranked below you.

Yeah, I didn't think there could be much more to it than that. OP, don't waste time insulting schools that are "below" you for no other reason than to boost your confidence (or to hurt the confidence of others).

jonas586

Postby jonas586 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:37 pm

This thread is going to die quickly, or end after a twenty page elitist flame war. I'm cool either way.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:50 pm

garfike wrote:Personally I view any school past 75th in the USNWR as TTT, but definitions vary. What say you?

hey great thread op! before I get into my own TTT, are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know. "I'm proud to be gay. ... I love Jeff more than myself," Paul Katami, 37, of Burbank testified in a packed San Francisco courtroom. "Being gay doesn't make me any less of an American." But with voters' November 2008 passage of Proposition 8, which amended the state Constitution to define marriage as the union of a man and a woman, "being gay means I'm unequal," Katami said. "I've been in love with a woman for 10 years, and I don't have a word for it," said Kristin Perry, 45, who lives in Berkeley with her partner, Sandy Stier, 47, and their four children. "I do everything I can to be a contributing and valuable member of the state, and the state isn't letting us be happy." The two women - along with Katami and his partner of nearly nine years, 36-year-old Jeff Zarrillo - are suing to overturn Prop. 8, saying it violates the constitutional guarantee of equal protection by discriminating based on sexual orientation and gender. Their testimony took up most of the opening day of a nonjury trial before Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker. The trial is the first in any federal court over same-sex marriage, and is the first step in a case that could reach the U.S. Supreme Court.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:54 pm

If it's not Yale, it's TTT.

bees

Postby bees » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:58 pm

garfike wrote:Personally I view any school past 75th in the USNWR as TTT, but definitions vary. What say you?

I think you meant any school below UVA and a few above it, didn't you?

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:59 pm

SandyC877 wrote:

hey great thread op! before I get into my own TTT, are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know. "I'm proud to be gay. ... I love Jeff more than myself," Paul Katami, 37, of Burbank testified in a packed San Francisco courtroom. "Being gay doesn't make me any less of an American." But with voters' November 2008 passage of Proposition 8, which amended the state Constitution to define marriage as the union of a man and a woman, "being gay means I'm unequal," Katami said. "I've been in love with a woman for 10 years, and I don't have a word for it," said Kristin Perry, 45, who lives in Berkeley with her partner, Sandy Stier, 47, and their four children. "I do everything I can to be a contributing and valuable member of the state, and the state isn't letting us be happy." The two women - along with Katami and his partner of nearly nine years, 36-year-old Jeff Zarrillo - are suing to overturn Prop. 8, saying it violates the constitutional guarantee of equal protection by discriminating based on sexual orientation and gender. Their testimony took up most of the opening day of a nonjury trial before Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker. The trial is the first in any federal court over same-sex marriage, and is the first step in a case that could reach the U.S. Supreme Court.

i am so confused.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:01 pm

bees wrote:

I think you meant any school below UVA and a few above it, didn't you?

I think he meant anything below Michigan

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:01 pm

SandyC877 wrote:

What?

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:03 pm

you're stupid

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Any school ranked below whatever school I end up going to. Duh.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:13 pm

rad law wrote:

Any school ranked below whatever school I end up going to. Duh.

TITCR for most people. Thus, this is a stupid thread.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Rand M. wrote:this is a stupid thread.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:16 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
Rand M. wrote:this is a stupid thread.

no, THIS is tcr

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:26 pm

You don't have to call em TTTs, because its not nice. But for the most part, the lower T50, along with every other ABA approved law school, are basically the same thing. So we can call them Super Cool Schools or Almost Top Schools or some other inventive special snow flake-like definition, but the result is the same. The Top 6, then the Top 14, then the Top 30, then everything else..

To the poster above that recently came out of the closet to tend to his sick mother, send people free plane tickets and argue cases before the supreme Court while standing tall at over 6ft with an impressive stature of 245lbs... You ok leny?

jonas586

Postby jonas586 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:

What?

I read it as anything below Berkeley being TTT

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:36 pm

SandyC877 wrote:

This merits my nomination for the most rambling, incoherent response to a question of the month.

Also, this thread is TTT, hth.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:32 pm

SandyC877 wrote:are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

I've seen this part before, but unfamiliar with the rest.

nahgems

Postby nahgems » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:40 pm

my cat's breath smells like cat food.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:36 pm

nahgems wrote:my cat's breath smells like cat food.

--ImageRemoved--

McNabb

Postby McNabb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:44 pm

reasonable_man wrote:You don't have to call em TTTs, because its not nice. But for the most part, the lower T50, along with every other ABA approved law school, are basically the same thing. So we can call them Super Cool Schools or Almost Top Schools or some other inventive special snow flake-like definition, but the result is the same. The Top 6, then the Top 14, then the Top 30, then everything else..

To the poster above that recently came out of the closet to tend to his sick mother, send people free plane tickets and argue cases before the supreme Court while standing tall at over 6ft with an impressive stature of 245lbs... You ok leny?

LOL at this totally arbitrary and made up cutoff (I'm guessing a NYU or Boalt student)! I guess that is the whole point of this thread though....

lsatbdog

Postby lsatbdog » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:56 pm

McNabb wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:You don't have to call em TTTs, because its not nice. But for the most part, the lower T50, along with every other ABA approved law school, are basically the same thing. So we can call them Super Cool Schools or Almost Top Schools or some other inventive special snow flake-like definition, but the result is the same. The Top 6, then the Top 14, then the Top 30, then everything else..

LOL at this totally arbitrary and made up cutoff (I'm guessing a NYU or Boalt student)! I guess that is the whole point of this thread though....

That or a practicing attorney doing pretty well for himself who did not go to either...

But RM, while I do agree that after the T30 (at most) all law schools are pretty much the same, isn't there a pretty big difference in employment prospects (and debt, assuming residency) coming out of say, KU, Utah, or Florida, as opposed to schools like John Marshall, SIU, or South Texas? Namely, that schools in the first category may have a better chance at employment because they are top dog in the state. Or am I off-base here?

Edit: The example I always think of is how people on here sometimes say that after the top 50 ls becomes a bad bet. But personally, I'd think UF with in-state tuition (or KU, OU, etc.) would be a better investment than Cardozo at sticker, due to their relative strength in the region, and debt. I guess my thought is that after the top few schools, regional considerations and expected debt are much more important than rankings.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”