so who is REALLY in charge?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
englawyer

so who is REALLY in charge?

Postby englawyer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Which person/people dictate admissions policies and direction? Does the dean of admissions have considerable sway, or are they really just abiding by established institutional policies/priorities? do these things change over time?

I am talking about who decides which softs are worthwhile, how to view splitters, stuff like that.

AngryAvocado

Re: so who is REALLY in charge?

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:43 pm

englawyer wrote:Which person/people dictate admissions policies and direction? Does the dean of admissions have considerable sway, or are they really just abiding by established institutional policies/priorities? do these things change over time?

I am talking about who decides which softs are worthwhile, how to view splitters, stuff like that.

USNWR

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:43 pm

--ImageRemoved--

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm

--ImageRemoved--

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:49 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
englawyer wrote:Which person/people dictate admissions policies and direction? Does the dean of admissions have considerable sway, or are they really just abiding by established institutional policies/priorities? do these things change over time?

USNWR

i understand your point, but someone is still making the decision "well we have to whore out to USNEWS"....who is making that decision? could an admissions dean "go rougue" and start admitting people on things other than gpa/lsat? would he/she be immediately terminated?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:51 pm

englawyer wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:

USNWR

i understand your point, but someone is still making the decision "well we have to whore out to USNEWS"....who is making that decision? could an admissions dean "go rougue" and start admitting people on things other than gpa/lsat? would he/she be immediately terminated?

Maybe they get performance incentives for specific GPA/LSAT medians? Guarantee schools would have some motivated adcomms on their hands if that was the case.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”