so who is REALLY in charge?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

so who is REALLY in charge?

Postby englawyer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Which person/people dictate admissions policies and direction? Does the dean of admissions have considerable sway, or are they really just abiding by established institutional policies/priorities? do these things change over time?

I am talking about who decides which softs are worthwhile, how to view splitters, stuff like that.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: so who is REALLY in charge?

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:43 pm

englawyer wrote:Which person/people dictate admissions policies and direction? Does the dean of admissions have considerable sway, or are they really just abiding by established institutional policies/priorities? do these things change over time?

I am talking about who decides which softs are worthwhile, how to view splitters, stuff like that.


USNWR

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: so who is REALLY in charge?

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:43 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: so who is REALLY in charge?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: so who is REALLY in charge?

Postby englawyer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:49 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
englawyer wrote:Which person/people dictate admissions policies and direction? Does the dean of admissions have considerable sway, or are they really just abiding by established institutional policies/priorities? do these things change over time?

I am talking about who decides which softs are worthwhile, how to view splitters, stuff like that.


USNWR


i understand your point, but someone is still making the decision "well we have to whore out to USNEWS"....who is making that decision? could an admissions dean "go rougue" and start admitting people on things other than gpa/lsat? would he/she be immediately terminated?

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: so who is REALLY in charge?

Postby stratocophic » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:51 pm

englawyer wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
englawyer wrote:Which person/people dictate admissions policies and direction? Does the dean of admissions have considerable sway, or are they really just abiding by established institutional policies/priorities? do these things change over time?

I am talking about who decides which softs are worthwhile, how to view splitters, stuff like that.


USNWR


i understand your point, but someone is still making the decision "well we have to whore out to USNEWS"....who is making that decision? could an admissions dean "go rougue" and start admitting people on things other than gpa/lsat? would he/she be immediately terminated?


Maybe they get performance incentives for specific GPA/LSAT medians? Guarantee schools would have some motivated adcomms on their hands if that was the case.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hwwong and 2 guests